No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: not the typical career path [Re: Posco] #8100061
03/15/24 08:26 AM
03/15/24 08:26 AM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by EdP
We have too many kids going to college and not enough in the trades. People tend to forget that college grads, myself included (engineering), need others to build their houses, fix their vehicles, and do the specialized maintenance work required to keep everything working. Those skills and careers should be just as highly valued in society as the careers that require a college degree. We are seeing a lot of college grads that got a degree in "Nothing Useful" and spent a butt load of money doing it. As a society we would be a lot better off if we could get the gov't out of the college loan business and return it to the private sector where it belongs. Private banks won't make loans for degrees that won't fund repayment of the loan.

In my recent travels I was talking to a young fellow traveling to Maine to pursue a degree in music at the University of Maine at Orono. An eighteen year old kid borrowing money for a four year degree at $50,000 a year. The country has learned nothing.

Did he say what he was gonna do with that degree?

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100202
03/15/24 12:19 PM
03/15/24 12:19 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Congratulation to your daughter. And to your son the plumber. The trades can be an excellent career path. And there's the real possibility of eventually becoming self-employed if that's something a tradesman desires.

While I agree with everything EdP wrote, I also think that borrowing excessive amounts of money for degrees in Nothing Useful is not solely the government's fault. The students and the parents of those students bear the primary responsibility for making good choices.

I know the federal government has caused college educations to become stupidly expensive and they make borrowing ridiculous amounts of money way too easy. But, the ultimate responsibility lies with those signing on the dotted line.

Thankfully, my children made better choices. One got a degree in International Relations. I was pretty convinced it was a degree in Nothing Useful. But we talked a lot about it and she had a good plan. I trusted her judgement. She now works for the Dept.of State as a Foreign Service Officer and travels the world (on the governments dime) which was her plan all along. It wouldn't have happened without that degree.

My youngest got a permanent layoff from a really good, high-paying job after Coke-Cola shut down the plant where she was in management. She is going to college full-time and will have her Registered Nurse license before too long. A career choice I agree with.

College degrees can be incredibly useful to a persons career path. So can graduating trade school. You just have to make smart choices and put the work in.

Eh...wot?

Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100252
03/15/24 01:55 PM
03/15/24 01:55 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
While I agree with everything EdP wrote, I also think that borrowing excessive amounts of money for degrees in Nothing Useful is not solely the government's fault. The students and the parents of those students bear the primary responsibility for making good choices.

I completely agree, but we are seeing that those responsible for bad decisions are not being held accountable for them, and the rest of us taxpayers are picking up the tab, regardless of what the SCOTUS has ruled is legal.

Re: not the typical career path [Re: mike mason] #8100258
03/15/24 02:07 PM
03/15/24 02:07 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by mike mason
HVAC techs,electricians and plumbers bill out at $150/hour here in NY.

Funny, I was just thinking as I needed some plumbing work, when did I miss plumbers going to school for 8 years then having to pass a bar exam to be able to charge as much or more per hour than
lawyers and even some doctors. Their rates are ridiculous. Of course I did the 2 hours worth of work myself (which I didn't have time to) and saved about $500.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100261
03/15/24 02:09 PM
03/15/24 02:09 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
If I had it to do over I would have become a linesman. My best buddies son did that and when he's called away he is making $90 and hour minimum depending on location and state. Electrical and plumbing
are great fields another buddy quit his nursing job to become a plumber and makes more.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: not the typical career path [Re: EdP] #8100291
03/15/24 03:11 PM
03/15/24 03:11 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by EdP
Originally Posted by Lugnut

I completely agree, but we are seeing that those responsible for bad decisions are not being held accountable for them, and the rest of us taxpayers are picking up the tab, regardless of what the SCOTUS has ruled is legal.

That is a direct result of our puppet president advancing his liberal handlers' agenda and buying young people's votes with our tax dollars.

Biden has pushed lots of really stupid stuff and college loan forgiveness is right near the top of that idiotic list. I told my kids I'd disown them if they took advantage of that program.

You agree to pay, you pay, even if you agreed to pay for stupid, waste-of-money-stuff, end of discussion.

Eh...wot?

Re: not the typical career path [Re: bass10] #8100296
03/15/24 03:19 PM
03/15/24 03:19 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by bass10
Originally Posted by mike mason
HVAC techs,electricians and plumbers bill out at $150/hour here in NY.

Funny, I was just thinking as I needed some plumbing work, when did I miss plumbers going to school for 8 years then having to pass a bar exam to be able to charge as much or more per hour than
lawyers and even some doctors. Their rates are ridiculous. Of course I did the 2 hours worth of work myself (which I didn't have time to) and saved about $500.

My plumber gets $125.00 for the first hour and $105.00 per hour after that. I'm okay with that. As a self-employed general contractor I know what it takes to run a profitable business. There are tons of behind-the-scenes expenses non-business owners don't know about.

That doesn't keep me from busting his chops though. I tell him all the time that, "All you gotta know to be a plumber is that crap flows downhill."

Eh...wot?

Re: not the typical career path [Re: Posco] #8100450
03/15/24 07:32 PM
03/15/24 07:32 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by EdP
We have too many kids going to college and not enough in the trades. People tend to forget that college grads, myself included (engineering), need others to build their houses, fix their vehicles, and do the specialized maintenance work required to keep everything working. Those skills and careers should be just as highly valued in society as the careers that require a college degree. We are seeing a lot of college grads that got a degree in "Nothing Useful" and spent a butt load of money doing it. As a society we would be a lot better off if we could get the gov't out of the college loan business and return it to the private sector where it belongs. Private banks won't make loans for degrees that won't fund repayment of the loan.

In my recent travels I was talking to a young fellow traveling to Maine to pursue a degree in music at the University of Maine at Orono. An eighteen year old kid borrowing money for a four year degree at $50,000 a year. The country has learned nothing.

A major college here about 1 hour away , UCONN , offers a degree in puppetry. Yes , a degree in making puppets.
I have actually visited this part of the school by a friend who invited me. Two ajoining buildings on campus totaling about 3,000 square feet. Everything you could think of to make , design , test and use puppets.

Who is going to hire you with a degree in puppetry ?
Disney ? Sesame Street or other TV show ? Hollywood ?
How many of these jobs are available ? How much do they pay ?
Maybe there is a very small handful of people in the top of this field making 100k+ , but I bet they are very few.

Other than that , UCONN has the most badazz ladies basketball team , the lady Huskies. Can't touch them. Geno , their coach runs those girls like a drill sergeant and it shows.

NRA benefactor member
Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100455
03/15/24 07:35 PM
03/15/24 07:35 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
A comparison of what a business charges per hour to what an employer pays an employee per hour is not valid. A self employeed tradesman is charging a business rate, not the hourly pay rate for the tradesman. For large corporations, when overhead, taxes, and benefits were considered, the cost to a business for an employee was generally considered to be about double the hourly pay rate.

Re: not the typical career path [Re: Lugnut] #8100495
03/15/24 08:14 PM
03/15/24 08:14 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Congratulation to your daughter. And to your son the plumber. The trades can be an excellent career path. And there's the real possibility of eventually becoming self-employed if that's something a tradesman desires.

I know the federal government has caused college educations to become stupidly expensive and they make borrowing ridiculous amounts of money way too easy. But, the ultimate responsibility lies with those signing on the dotted line.

Thankfully, my children made better choices. One got a degree in International Relations. I was pretty convinced it was a degree in Nothing Useful. But we talked a lot about it and she had a good plan. I trusted her judgement. She now works for the Dept.of State as a Foreign Service Officer and travels the world (on the governments dime) which was her plan all along. It wouldn't have happened without that degree.

My youngest got a permanent layoff from a really good, high-paying job after Coke-Cola shut down the plant where she was in management. She is going to college full-time and will have her Registered Nurse license before too long. A career choice I agree with.

College degrees can be incredibly useful to a persons career path. So can graduating trade school. You just have to make smart choices and put the work in.

Of course the people taking the loans are also to blame, but why should taxpayers have to fund degrees in gender studies? IMO the government shouldn't be funding college education at all.... but if they ARE than they should only offer funding for select degrees... degrees for careers in fields that have a shortage of eligible workers.

You want the government to fund your education? Fine... become an accountant, or a doctor, or an engineer or a teacher or whatever other profession we need more workers in.

You want the government to fund your education in gender studies? Fine. Join the military.

Last edited by yotetrapper30; 03/15/24 08:16 PM.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100550
03/15/24 09:15 PM
03/15/24 09:15 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
The government shouldn't be funding colleges at all. And tax-payers should never have to pay back anyone's loans. You borrow, you pay back.

Eh...wot?

Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100720
03/16/24 07:05 AM
03/16/24 07:05 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
wow that's, great, and hvac person, up here can make great money,

Re: not the typical career path [Re: sako22] #8100796
03/16/24 08:57 AM
03/16/24 08:57 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

The open borders have killed, wage wise, the unlicensed trades like carpenters or masons. Good that she chose a trade that requires a license. If I had it to do again I would have went through an apprenticeship for HVAC other than for carpentry.

Last edited by J Staton; 03/16/24 08:57 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread