No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: Hutchy] #8099846
03/14/24 09:51 PM
03/14/24 09:51 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
People catch them mostly for liver and eggs. Back meat and belly skin is also cooked.
My preferred bait is a whitefish stomach on a j hook. Tied tightly with some flagging tape for color and a rubber piece to prevent the bait from sliding off too easily. Used to bait 5 hooks before heading out to keep the bait fresh.

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: Ryan McLeod] #8099848
03/14/24 09:56 PM
03/14/24 09:56 PM
On Georgian Bay, Ontario Canad...
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod
People catch them mostly for liver and eggs. Back meat and belly skin is also cooked.
My preferred bait is a whitefish stomach on a j hook. Tied tightly with some flagging tape for color and a rubber piece to prevent the bait from sliding off too easily. Used to bait 5 hooks before heading out to keep the bait fresh.

We've Been vertical night jigging with glow spoons tipped with smelt.

Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: Hutchy] #8099850
03/14/24 09:57 PM
03/14/24 09:57 PM
williams,mn
trapper les Offline
trapper
trapper les  Offline
trapper

williams,mn
I've only ate the backstraps, and tail meat which is noteablely stronger flavored , boiled for one minute, then then criped up in on the oven broiler on tinfoil, and dipped in melted butter. It's awesome.

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not."
Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: trapper les] #8099854
03/14/24 10:02 PM
03/14/24 10:02 PM
H
Hutchy Offline OP
trapper
Hutchy  Offline OP
trapper
H

Originally Posted by trapper les
I've only ate the backstraps, and tail meat which is noteablely stronger flavored , boiled for one minute, then then criped up in on the oven broiler on tinfoil, and dipped in melted butter. It's awesome.

I tried it boiled in 7 up and butter dipped tonight.

It wasn't really like lobster, not as firm, etc, but it smelled bang on!

Was really good though for sure

Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: Hutchy] #8099902
03/14/24 11:26 PM
03/14/24 11:26 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
Originally Posted by Hutchy
Originally Posted by Ryan McLeod

We've Been vertical night jigging with glow spoons tipped with smelt.

We use homemade hooks as well. Similar to a spoon. Aluminum, brass, or antlers. Sheep and muskox horn works well for the loche too. Usually with a piece of pike belly skin, red felt and a rubber stopper to keep it all on.

Re: Targeted some burbot last night. [Re: Hutchy] #8099925
03/15/24 12:30 AM
03/15/24 12:30 AM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
[Linked Image]

Couple here made by JD Storr. My dad has an aluminum hook made by a late friend of his. It's carved to look like a beluga whale surfacing. Pretty much art work. I hated using that one. I was a
lways worried I would lose it.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread