No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099369
03/14/24 10:07 AM
03/14/24 10:07 AM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
Get yourself a piece of roofing slate and a hardwood dowel rod 1/4 inch. Round end of dowel rod. Scuff up area on slate. See what happens. Might have to thin slate down some, might have to cut it into smaller piece. But try it, and see how difficult it is to get sound out of it.

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: wr otis] #8099371
03/14/24 10:08 AM
03/14/24 10:08 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by wr otis
If it quit working all together, it was the striker. Both need glaze taken off from time to time, maybe every day.

I've made slate calls and box calls. Mostly it's trial and error until you get some experience. There's a lot of hocus pocus and just general BS in the turkey call business. Just like many other businesses, always needing some new angle, to keep up sales.

Scouting and good woodsmanship will kill more turkeys than some high dollar exotic call.

While some of that is true, a true turkey call maker will have plenty of references to back his business. Scouting and woodsmanship does kill turkeys, but you have to sound something close to a turkey to be able to kill him unless you just like bushwhacking them, then that’s just killing and not turkey hunting. Heck, the fun of turkey hunting is that gobble and strutting.
Don’t really care if anyone believes this or not, but I won’t shoot a turkey if he doesn’t play the game my way. He either has to gobble or strut in to me. If he comes sneaking in, he gets a pass. He plays it my way or we’ll try it again another day when he’s in the mood. I’m all about that “show”!!

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099389
03/14/24 10:30 AM
03/14/24 10:30 AM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
I had a cheap slate with a hollow plastic striker that flat out wont make sound. A wood striker will, though. Everyone makes it sound like this call or that call is necessary. Turkeys arent smart. You dont have to have high dollar calls to call a turkey into your lap.

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099397
03/14/24 10:52 AM
03/14/24 10:52 AM
West Virginia
W
WV Danimal Offline
trapper
WV Danimal  Offline
trapper
W

West Virginia
Look up Antler Ridge game calls. Small town made locally. My son won one of their slate calls and I'm impressed with it. It's the closest slate I've ever had to even remotely come close to my Cody.

Trash your goals and plans for life. Just wing it and you'll never be let down!
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Law Dog] #8099408
03/14/24 11:21 AM
03/14/24 11:21 AM
MO
C
Crappiekiller Offline
trapper
Crappiekiller  Offline
trapper
C

MO
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Calls are mass produced in many cases if you buy a $30 call be it a slate or box call some tuning will be involved you should expect that. I spent a few weeks around Ike Ashby a call maker down in Huston MO it was very interesting to see his setup. I thought it interesting that before he gave me an autographed gobbler box call he tested several before he was happy with the tone of it.

A little sanding and chalk helps and touch up all the contact points a bit to get a better sound out of a box call. Slate calls have several options like stones, 3M pads or sand papers to change or restore a tone.

I’m sure I’m missing things but others might jump in.

A corn cob handle with a plexiglass striker was Ike’s favorite striker choice.

Ike Ashby was our game warden for a period and I still have one of his calls that belonged to my dad. I believe he moved to Houston MO. I am a big believer in slate calls for certain uses along with Lynch box calls, I am fairly decent with latex mouth calls, but each has its purpose. I was blessed to grow up during the “Boom years” back in the 80’s and 90’s where it was not uncommon to have 8-10 different birds to choose from within a quarter mile. I called in 28 birds one season for family, friends and myself. Great times

CK
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Wanna Be] #8099450
03/14/24 12:23 PM
03/14/24 12:23 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
While some of that is true, a true turkey call maker will have plenty of references to back his business. Scouting and woodsmanship does kill turkeys, but you have to sound something close to a turkey to be able to kill him unless you just like bushwhacking them, then that’s just killing and not turkey hunting. Heck, the fun of turkey hunting is that gobble and strutting.
Don’t really care if anyone believes this or not, but I won’t shoot a turkey if he doesn’t play the game my way. He either has to gobble or strut in to me. If he comes sneaking in, he gets a pass. He plays it my way or we’ll try it again another day when he’s in the mood. I’m all about that “show”!![/quote]

I know this thread is getting off track but I guess what thread doesn't. There are a lot of custom call makers out there today that make great sounding and looking calls. And yes there is some junk that look sweet and I have many just sitting
on top of mygun cabinet that have never seen the woods. While I agree with how turkey hunting should be it just doesn't work that way in my home state as much anymore. My thoughts are turkeys have evolved, everytime they gobble they
get chased around by a yote or avian? So they don't gobble like they used to?
My Ohio bird last year gave me a double gobble once then shut up, I knew he heard me and
knew he was coming and an hour later he was dead. If you're hunting multiple states with limited time in each you can't be picky, although ambushing is just wrong, however, to each their own

Last edited by bass10; 03/14/24 12:25 PM.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: DWC] #8099452
03/14/24 12:29 PM
03/14/24 12:29 PM
Akron, Ohio
bass10 Offline
trapper
bass10  Offline
trapper

Akron, Ohio
Originally Posted by DWC
I had a cheap slate with a hollow plastic striker that flat out wont make sound. A wood striker will, though. Everyone makes it sound like this call or that call is necessary. Turkeys arent smart. You dont have to have high dollar calls to call a turkey into your lap.

High dollar or low dollar it should sound good. Story I was told while in my 20's by a vet hunter. He was hunting a bird and had to go through the farmers rusty metal gate, two mornings in a row he would enter and the gate
would squeak and the bird would hammer. He got to his spot and tried many different sounding calls and nothing. The third morning he set up by the gate and worked that bird by swinging the gate back and forth. You guessed
it the bird hammered all the way in and he killed it.

"The more people I meet the more I love my dog!"
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099462
03/14/24 12:40 PM
03/14/24 12:40 PM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Buy a carbon striker

BMI 2K9Wolfer

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: bass10] #8099466
03/14/24 12:43 PM
03/14/24 12:43 PM
Missouri
K9Wolfer Offline
trapper
K9Wolfer  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Originally Posted by bass10
Originally Posted by DWC

High dollar or low dollar it should sound good. Story I was told while in my 20's by a vet hunter. He was hunting a bird and had to go through the farmers rusty metal gate, two mornings in a row he would enter and the gate
would squeak and the bird would hammer. He got to his spot and tried many different sounding calls and nothing. The third morning he set up by the gate and worked that bird by swinging the gate back and forth. You guessed
it the bird hammered all the way in and he killed it.

LoL!!!

BMI 2K9Wolfer

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099594
03/14/24 04:32 PM
03/14/24 04:32 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Old Ben Lee used a barbed wire fence the same way, lol.

Now let me clarify something I said about bushwhacking…if you’ve done your homework and know what tree and limb that gobbler is on and slip in tight the next morning and let him sound off on his own and he flys down in your lap, well that ain’t bushwhacking, lol! He did his part in the tree and you did your part on the deck.
That gets into roosting a bird. Roosting ain’t hearing one and saying he’s in that patch of woods or in that bottom. I want to know which tree and exact limb he’s on.

Disclaimer: Ole gobblers will limb walk after fly up. I watched a gobbler fly up, waited until after dark and walked out. Was within 50yds the next morning 1.5hrs before pink was even on the Eastern horizon and that gobbler was three trees down and almost 85yds from my set up. Roosted wasn’t roasted that day!!!

Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099757
03/14/24 08:08 PM
03/14/24 08:08 PM
NC
B
bowhunter27295 Offline
trapper
bowhunter27295  Offline
trapper
B

NC
This call with a carbon striker is hard to beat. It will still call on those damp mornings when wood and any other slate will not work.

A carbon striker and this type of slate or an aluminum slate are my go to. You really need to practice with the aluminum. It has sweet spots and you need to know where they are. Best sounds on mine are on the outside edges which are usually the higher pitches.

Glass is ok but you have to scuff it and you have to find a striker that works. Purpleheart is what works on my glass/acrylic pot. I don't like it but will use it in a change up.

Honestly the best call is first light giving a fly down cackle, wait a few, then give a lost/location call. Especially if you have a hot gobbler.

After doing these calls, in this order, SHUT UP!!!! He knows your GPS location. You don't need to call anymore and you actually do yourself a disservice by calling more than this. Start scratching the leaves as if you are more interested in eating than messing with him. Drives toms crazy. It is an EXCELLENT sequence on a hot bird.

Patience kills the bird.

How many lies will people believe before they realize their own idiocy?
Re: Turkey Slate Call [Re: Robert Martin] #8099869
03/14/24 10:30 PM
03/14/24 10:30 PM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
I've hunted lots of public land and lots of Indian reservations and I can tell you all calls aren't created equal, also what works today may not work tomorrow.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread