No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
My best little trap #8098177
03/12/24 09:53 AM
03/12/24 09:53 AM
Colorado
Raptortrapper Offline OP
trapper
Raptortrapper  Offline OP
trapper

Colorado
How impressive is the Sleepy Creek #11 trap!! I pulled a couple permits this year for some jobs here in Colorado. Normally, on beaver, I use my Sleepy Creek 4.5 offset double long springs on a drowning cable. Works like a champ.

Well I picked up some dls traps a year or so ago to experiment with, and fell in love with the sleepy creek #11. I’m convinced there is nothing this little trap can’t hold! I even set it for beaver on a job along with my 4.5’s, just to try it. Sure enough! Got a beaver in that sucker, and it held! That means I’ve now caught at least one pack rat, coon, skunk, fox, and beaver with the #11 dls.

If there is a more versatile trap, I haven’t seen it!! Does that mean I’m selling my 4.5’s?? Absofreakinlutely not!!! 😆

Why do I carry 10mm? Because shooting twice is just silly.
Re: My best little trap [Re: Raptortrapper] #8098186
03/12/24 10:15 AM
03/12/24 10:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Nice bit of work. If you ever do change yer mind on the 4.5s let me know.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: My best little trap [Re: Raptortrapper] #8098205
03/12/24 11:19 AM
03/12/24 11:19 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Along same lines, I have a question. While back I took possession of some traps from an estate. Included in the mix were a few Blake and Lamb # 2 1/2. As near as I can tell, they are stock. One of them must have caught something feisty, as one of the jaws is sprung out of kilter.

My plan for these was to add a 2nd spring, converting them into #3 DLS. Have done so with a couple of them. Goal was to potentially use them on coyotes, bobcat and maybe otter. They now look like this:

[Linked Image]

So concern is the stock chain. As found, only one swivel on the end of one spring with stock ring. Thinking of replacing with heavier chain, with swivels. Question is should it be left on the end of the long spring, or attached as center swivel with a heavy base plate? Basically turn it into a #3 version of the SC #11?

Re: My best little trap [Re: Raptortrapper] #8098214
03/12/24 11:41 AM
03/12/24 11:41 AM
PA
P
panaxman Offline
trapper
panaxman  Offline
trapper
P

PA
I have 6 post post Blake 11 double jaws, that are a favorite for coon, where I can’t drown them. Good trap to use when taking out a non-trapper for trap line experience. The average person, doesn’t understand what happens when coon have room under the jaw..

I started trapping in the 1980 fur boom, the only long springs I learned on were ATC Lititz, PA . I wasn’t impressed.

I was sold on long springs after coming across old B&L pan post #1 longs …..couldn’t believe how strong they were. Hammered truckloads of coon with them. Just switched j rivet opposite the spring..

Re: My best little trap [Re: Raptortrapper] #8098225
03/12/24 12:10 PM
03/12/24 12:10 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Online content
trapper
BvrRetriever  Online Content
trapper
B

WI
Those look like #1 B&L to me.

I personally like a DBL to be center swiveled from the baseplate. Also upgrading your chain and adding swivels is a good idea. I attach to the D ring on the baseplate with a swivel, add about 4 inches of chain and then another swivel. To that, add the rest of however much chain you plan to use. Terminal end is also a swivel.

One downside to center swivel on baseplate is that the D ring can be tough on your thigh when setting them.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread