No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Ford power stroke? #8092375
03/04/24 03:33 PM
03/04/24 03:33 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline OP
trapper
uplandpointer  Offline OP
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
I have a f350 with a power stroke, and about 250k on it. I pull some loads but nothing too heavy. Last week when I started it, it sounded like localmotive when it started and was warming up. On the way to town (7 miles) it shut down. I had it towed to a dealer. After their first look, they said that it doesn't have any compression in the #2 cylinder and some other codes. One of the things they also said is that it was over full with oil and it probably had fuel in it. I had put oil in a few days before. My eyesight is not great without glasses and it was dark, so I'm sure (actually I know) that I put too much oil in. Would too much oil cause it to lose a cylinder?

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092382
03/04/24 03:41 PM
03/04/24 03:41 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
IMO: Shouldn't, would make it smoke like crazy tho.

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092388
03/04/24 03:58 PM
03/04/24 03:58 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
6.0? You have a fuel injector problem. You have a fuel injector that is dumping fuel into the oil, either by dumping it into the cylinder and past the rings or up through the top of the injector past some torn o-rings, and the compression is likely leaking past the injector, into the fuel system, which is why it's shutting down. There's a copper o-ring/seal at the bottom of the injector that seals against compression, when they fail, compression gets pushed into the high pressure fuel system and then it can't pump fuel. That copper o-ring/seal seats against a copper "injector cup" in the head, if that's damaged it'll need to be replaced as well. Low fuel pressure is the biggest cause of damage to fuel injectors, if you haven't had it done already there's an upgraded spring for the fuel pressure regulator. Also, there's a fuel injector control module that jumps up the 12V system to 48V for the injectors, when they fail and start making less than 48V that's also hard on injectors and they need to be replaced, There were plenty of trucks back in the day that got all 8 injectors, the upgraded spring, fuel filters, a FICM, and an oil change.

Diesels are never cheap to repair.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092391
03/04/24 04:03 PM
03/04/24 04:03 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
how overfull with oil ?

you your thinking well I put 1-2 more quarts in than I should have and they are draining 7 extra out then not your issue and probably is fuel.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: loosegoose] #8092393
03/04/24 04:04 PM
03/04/24 04:04 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline OP
trapper
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
Originally Posted by loosegoose
6.0? You have a fuel injector problem. You have a fuel injector that is dumping fuel into the oil, either by dumping it into the cylinder and past the rings or up through the top of the injector past some torn o-rings, and the compression is likely leaking past the injector, into the fuel system, which is why it's shutting down. There's a copper o-ring/seal at the bottom of the injector that seals against compression, when they fail, compression gets pushed into the high pressure fuel system and then it can't pump fuel. That copper o-ring/seal seats against a copper "injector cup" in the head, if that's damaged it'll need to be replaced as well. Low fuel pressure is the biggest cause of damage to fuel injectors, if you haven't had it done already there's an upgraded spring for the fuel pressure regulator. Also, there's a fuel injector control module that jumps up the 12V system to 48V for the injectors, when they fail and start making less than 48V that's also hard on injectors and they need to be replaced, There were plenty of trucks back in the day that got all 8 injectors, the upgraded spring, fuel filters, a FICM, and an oil change.

It's a 6.7L . It does not have fuel in the oil, just over full. Not smoking.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092401
03/04/24 04:15 PM
03/04/24 04:15 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Originally Posted by uplandpointer
Originally Posted by loosegoose

It's a 6.7L . It does not have fuel in the oil, just over full. Not smoking.

6.7s are after my time, I got out of the diesel thing when the 6.4L's were around.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8092404
03/04/24 04:23 PM
03/04/24 04:23 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline OP
trapper
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
how overfull with oil ?

you your thinking well I put 1-2 more quarts in than I should have and they are draining 7 extra out then not your issue and probably is fuel.

2- 2.5 qts. They haven't pulled the pan yet to confirm

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092591
03/04/24 08:33 PM
03/04/24 08:33 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
What year?
The early ones had two piece glowplug that would separate and go into the cylinder, wrecking cylinder.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8092637
03/04/24 09:26 PM
03/04/24 09:26 PM
Mo
T
Trapper5123 Offline
trapper
Trapper5123  Offline
trapper
T

Mo
I had a 2011 truck at work that the glow plug broke and destroyed a valve.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: wr otis] #8092638
03/04/24 09:28 PM
03/04/24 09:28 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline OP
trapper
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
Originally Posted by wr otis
What year?
The early ones had two piece glowplug that would separate and go into the cylinder, wrecking cylinder.

Re: Ford power stroke? [Re: uplandpointer] #8093028
03/05/24 12:11 PM
03/05/24 12:11 PM
SW Pa
W
wr otis Offline
trapper
wr otis  Offline
trapper
W

SW Pa
I have a 6.0 and 7.3, both built by ih. So my opinion on yours is limited. Could be injector failure pumped cylinder full of fuel. Could be seperated glow plug, not sure exactly when they stopped using two piece but it was around then.

I find it hard to believe overfilled oil would do that.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread