No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: bblwi] #8089192
02/29/24 06:21 PM
02/29/24 06:21 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by bblwi
In my opinion, the GOP legislature would have helped the cause a lot more by joining into move the wolf plan forward instead of shutting down anterless harvests. Sure the plan maybe too wolf friendly, maybe drafted by persons we don't like or feel have our best interests in mind, but getting politically on the same side on issues like this and to work with our administrative organizations may move the control back to WI sooner than later. We need a season and a season for an extended period of time to better assess the wolf population and the increases in range etc. Way more resources get thrown at species with licenses, permits etc. and that will be helpful in the long run. Just blaming each other for our standstills gets us nothing. Our big issue currently is working across aisles to solve problems (compromise) is seen as being weak instead of strong or realistic. I doubt the governer would veto a bill that had NRB, GOP and WDNR and other stakeholders agreeing to a managment plan with harvest involved. Also with conservation agencies along with political input and native organization input it is much less likely that federal judges would rule against moving forward with that plan.

Another aspect is we think we won't act until we have the ultimate plan and things won't every change. That mindset prevents taking risks to set things in motion. Just look at all the changers (some good, some bad, some ugly) that have taken place in many species just in the last 20-30 years. We need to understand that one needs to gain control to be able to manage wildlife and that managing wildlife is an extremely "fluid" business.

Bryce

That might hold true with your governor in your state. But, our governor said he will veto any bill that comes across his desk allowing any wolf hunting or trapping.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: tlguy] #8089194
02/29/24 06:23 PM
02/29/24 06:23 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
Originally Posted by tlguy

I don't want legislators with no biology or wildlife management knowledge going over the heads of the DNR staff trained and hired to manage wildlife. Especially when there are already methods in place to reduce antlerless harvest if that's what the public and the data actually supports.

No kidding. You've made yourself pretty clear, again and again.

I really don't care....deer hunting isn't my thing. But, I don't see where it would hurt to stop shooting does for a few years.

But we can keep doing the same things and expect different results, I suppose. At least the deer had an easy winter. That should help a little.

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Trapper7] #8089196
02/29/24 06:25 PM
02/29/24 06:25 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
Originally Posted by Trapper7
That might hold true with your governor in your state. But, our governor said he will veto any bill that comes across his desk allowing any wolf hunting or trapping.

As I mentioned earlier, Evers has more vetoes than any governor in Wisconsin history, so it's very likely he'll do the same with this.

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: tlguy] #8089234
02/29/24 07:24 PM
02/29/24 07:24 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
[quote=tlguy]I don't want legislators with no biology or wildlife management knowledge going over the heads of the DNR staff trained and hired to manage wildlife. Especially when there are already methods in place to reduce antlerless harvest if that's what the public and the data actually supports.

tlguy, I think outdoors people with experience in the field are sometimes better equipped to make sound wildlife management decisions than some educated bureaucrats answering to the whims of an uninformed governor

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089248
02/29/24 07:40 PM
02/29/24 07:40 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
People blindly thinking that politics does not play a role in wildlife management by government wildlife managers are a bit naive. "The science" is whatever a government wildlife manager makes up here, even if it is not valid science or fact. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: 8117 Steve R] #8089328
02/29/24 08:51 PM
02/29/24 08:51 PM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Online content
trapper
tlguy  Online Content
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
8117 Steve R, I agree there are some really smart woodsmen in Wisconsin that probably have some great ideas on wildlife management for the property(s) they hunt. I don't think it's fair to discredit a biologist simply because they work for the DNR. Managing one property, even a big one, is a lot different than managing the herd in a whole county, let alone the whole state. Now we've got a couple legislators grubbing for votes and trying to undermine management in a knee-jerk reaction to a low harvest in a year following the 22-23 winter with record snowfall and burgeoning wolf population.

I feel like my opinion is getting repetitive. I've made it and I'll move on. We'll see what happens with this bill and go from there.

Speaking of Wisconsin deer hunting, new hunting and fishing licenses go on sale tomorrow, March 1st. And Evers signed Wisconsin Act 99 that increases NR bow/crossbow license prices to $200.

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089345
02/29/24 09:11 PM
02/29/24 09:11 PM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
If you are telling me that the biologists on the ground can make these decisions without any direction from their political bosses, please accept my apology.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: 8117 Steve R] #8089430
02/29/24 10:41 PM
02/29/24 10:41 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Online content
trapper
bblwi  Online Content
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Politics is in everything, it is how we choose to utilize the aspects of politics and how deeply we want or allow the politics to impact choices. Science is in many or some ways a field that can limit the political impacts, but to say there is no politics in science would be incorrect. I think we also need to understand that science and or scientists typically work on larger scales and over more seasons and longer periods of time than the bulk of our outdoor sporting persons do. When we went from numbered habitat based deer management units to counties we went from a more science based population management method to a more political based management method. That is just one example of how we let or choose to let politics encroach on managing wildlife or any biological environment for that matter.
We have to remember that if we don't like the current situation we have today, we are responsible for dismantling the administrative- more science based department process for managing our natural resources and went running to the politicians to get rid of that model. Science may not be what many like but it sure is more likely to match populations with resources, habitat and harvest determinations then knee-jerk politics which can change quickly and dramatically. We get upset because we don't see near the deer on our 40 acres in Florence CO like we did 30 years ago, so we ask politicians to work on our issue and we open the door for politicians thousands of miles away to make judgement that impacts 54,000 plus square miles.

Bryce

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089497
02/29/24 11:15 PM
02/29/24 11:15 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Online content
trapper
Dirt  Online Content
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Sometimes wildlife managers have to consider the economic consequences of their decisions. The economic damage or gain to their organization and others in the private sector when opportunities will be changed.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089518
02/29/24 11:34 PM
02/29/24 11:34 PM
WI
WIMarshRAT Offline
trapper
WIMarshRAT  Offline
trapper

WI
If politicians actually wanted to help their constituents, they would have directed them to the CDAC and WCC process. The CDACs already have the tools to make their county buck only for the next decade if they felt it was warranted. Instead, legislators wasted everyone's time with a bill that stood no chance of the governor signing.

I tend to believe many of the counties probably should be buck only for 4-5 years, but I don't have a dog in the fight. I will say the north is getting exactly what they are putting into it.

Last edited by WIMarshRAT; 02/29/24 11:40 PM.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Muskrat] #8089624
03/01/24 06:18 AM
03/01/24 06:18 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline OP
trapper
Eagleye  Offline OP
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Muskrat
How are the vehicle/deer kill numbers trending?

[Linked Image]
Source: Wisconsin Department of Transportation data collection
https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/deermetrics/DeerStats.aspx?R=Collision

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089626
03/01/24 06:24 AM
03/01/24 06:24 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
They actually still track deer car kills? I don't even think people are legally required to report those. I'm not even sure our hwy dept picks them up anymore. There seems to be more cars on the road & people are driving faster.

Last edited by AJE; 03/01/24 06:29 AM.
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089887
03/01/24 12:30 PM
03/01/24 12:30 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Just another piece of the puzzle wolves will keep the deer herd in check for a nonhunting society.

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8089888
03/01/24 12:33 PM
03/01/24 12:33 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by Eagleye
Originally Posted by Muskrat
How are the vehicle/deer kill numbers trending?

[Linked Image]
Source: Wisconsin Department of Transportation data collection
https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/deermetrics/DeerStats.aspx?R=Collision

it would be more relevant if it was done by northern 1/2 and southern 1/2 at the least, by county would be better.

I know that we now see dead deer on the side of the road all year long and on our short drive to town (bout 10 miles) its not unusual to see 2-3 dead deer every time.
a couple of decades ago it was rare to see a dead deer at any time except in the fall.

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8110703
03/29/24 05:32 PM
03/29/24 05:32 PM
chippwewa falls WI
chippewatrapper Offline
trapper
chippewatrapper  Offline
trapper

chippwewa falls WI
Evers vetoed it today. I sent him a letter a few weeks ago expressing my opinion on the ban. He called me this morning and said he appreciated my input and would be vetoing it in a matter of minutes. I assume he only got back to me because I am 15.

WTA
NTA
Chippewa rod and gun
Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: tlguy] #8110745
03/29/24 06:20 PM
03/29/24 06:20 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by tlguy
8117 Steve R, I agree there are some really smart woodsmen in Wisconsin that probably have some great ideas on wildlife management for the property(s) they hunt. I don't think it's fair to discredit a biologist simply because they work for the DNR. Managing one property, even a big one, is a lot different than managing the herd in a whole county, let alone the whole state. Now we've got a couple legislators grubbing for votes and trying to undermine management in a knee-jerk reaction to a low harvest in a year following the 22-23 winter with record snowfall and burgeoning wolf population.

I feel like my opinion is getting repetitive. I've made it and I'll move on. We'll see what happens with this bill and go from there.

Speaking of Wisconsin deer hunting, new hunting and fishing licenses go on sale tomorrow, March 1st. And Evers signed Wisconsin Act 99 that increases NR bow/crossbow license prices to $200.

Well, we do know what they've been doing for quite some time now isn't working.

Re: Potential Doe ban in Northern Wisconsin [Re: Eagleye] #8115236
04/05/24 08:57 PM
04/05/24 08:57 PM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
You Governor Ever fanboys will be glad hear he vetoed the bill...just like he always does.

Last edited by Kre; 04/05/24 08:57 PM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread