No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Presentation to Cub Scouts #8087880
02/28/24 12:34 AM
02/28/24 12:34 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
Tonight I was asked to present some information on animal identification and tracking to a group of about 35 Cub Scouts (I am a scout leader with this troop, so they know who I am and they trust that I will tell them the truth).
I talked about the importance of knowing the habits and habitat for the species they are trying to locate. I talked about understanding animal motivations (food, procreation, self preservation) and how we can use that understanding to locate animals.
I also talked about using game calls either to attract animals to you (duck, goose, deer, turkey) or to get a visible or audible reaction from an animal that may be out of sight or hard to spot (crow call to elicit a shock gobble).
I brought along a caribou antler, deer antlers, tanned muskrat, mink, raccoon and squirrel hides and a beaver skull. I also demonstrated all the game calls.
It was a big hit, which was surprising because these kids are mostly suburban. They've all played hockey or soccer but almost none have had any exposure to hunting and I'm sure none have actually ever been hunting before, let alone trapping. The boys and girls were equally interested in everything I presented.
I think some of those kids are going to go home and ask their parents to take them hunting LOL... which I'm sure will raise some eyebrows.
A little outreach goes a long ways... these kids are going to grow up and have a hand (directly or indirectly) in wildlife management decisions... I want them on our side.
[Linked Image]

Just happy to be here.
Re: Presentation to Cub Scouts [Re: slydogx] #8087899
02/28/24 05:12 AM
02/28/24 05:12 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Excellent job.

Re: Presentation to Cub Scouts [Re: slydogx] #8087900
02/28/24 05:24 AM
02/28/24 05:24 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
That's about as good of a program that I can imagine. Thank you for what your doing with today's kids. While I was not involved with scouts, my two brothers were and my Mom took me to all their events.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Presentation to Cub Scouts [Re: slydogx] #8087984
02/28/24 08:41 AM
02/28/24 08:41 AM
South central Minnesota.
O
Old pup Offline
trapper
Old pup  Offline
trapper
O

South central Minnesota.
Slydogx for Prime Minister. Start picking your cabinet.

ergo, bibamus.
Re: Presentation to Cub Scouts [Re: slydogx] #8088008
02/28/24 09:19 AM
02/28/24 09:19 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Online content
trapper
Lugnut  Online Content
trapper
L

SEPA
Way to go slydogx, really good job.

Eh...wot?

Re: Presentation to Cub Scouts [Re: slydogx] #8088035
02/28/24 10:12 AM
02/28/24 10:12 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
very nice
I think every kid would be a trapper after a good talk like that , it is a mix of opportunity and other pulls at their time.

maybe not every kid but alot

the idea of catching the animal, cooking the meat , wearing the hide pulls at the heart of near every young man , then they find it's work , it can be hard , they have other interests as well , girls , parents have priorities that don't align.

but really find me a kid who is half way through Where the red fern grows. that wouldn't Jump at the chance to go on a coon hunt.

if you find that kid that isn't wired that way you might want to watch out for that one. probably your next peta terrorist.
now actual day of and they are out there before the action they get cold , it's dark they are tired , wet ,hungry or they have a basketball game in the morning they might pass of bow out early.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/28/24 10:13 AM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread