No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Homemade fish oil [Re: danny clifton] #8084631
02/23/24 07:43 PM
02/23/24 07:43 PM
10714 Apple road Carthage,Mo6...
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

Made a couple of containers of fish oil last summer.......recently got access to farm raised trout parts....farm raised trout contain more body fat or head fat should I say...and I too use the methods relayed by LT

Last edited by Cletis Richards; 02/23/24 09:35 PM.

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Re: Homemade fish oil [Re: Turtledale] #8084857
02/23/24 11:19 PM
02/23/24 11:19 PM
AZ
D
dixieland Offline
trapper
dixieland  Offline
trapper
D

AZ
Originally Posted by Turtledale
Originally Posted by dixieland
I ain’t making a big stinking mess and wasting my time and labor, when you can get the 1200 mg capsules fairly cheap.

My fingers would get pretty sore opening all those capsules to fill a gallon jug. And a little too expensive. crazy
I sun render walleye fat every year. Not much smell and all but a little comes back as pure oil. Walleye are loaded with fat that is easy to strip out of the guts. I sun render in half gallon mason jars.

They’re actually caplets, easily torn with a fingernail, stick, knife, etc. or just smashed, and can be found on Amazon for .07 cents per caplet, or less. Only need 1 per trap. Don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a gallon jug of it, when a small bottle with 100+ caplets is so much easier to carry? Reminds me of a neighbor walking around the neighborhood with weights in her hands, constantly pumping.

Re: Homemade fish oil [Re: KSjackalope] #8084866
02/23/24 11:36 PM
02/23/24 11:36 PM
C
Cletis Richards Offline
trapper
Cletis Richards  Offline
trapper
C

Sun rendered fish oil is far superior I only use sunrendered fish oil in my baits.,fish oil is a fat and highly sought after by the animals...FYI I don't carry them on the line but make my fish oil in 55 gal drums.

Appleroad Predator Bait

www.appleroadlures.com

Like us on Facebook

Re: Homemade fish oil [Re: KSjackalope] #8085204
02/24/24 01:41 PM
02/24/24 01:41 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Pick a oily fish and be sure to vent carefully .

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Homemade fish oil [Re: dixieland] #8085216
02/24/24 02:15 PM
02/24/24 02:15 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
My fingers would get pretty sore opening all those capsules to fill a gallon jug. And a little too expensive. crazy
I sun render walleye fat every year. Not much smell and all but a little comes back as pure oil. Walleye are loaded with fat that is easy to strip out of the guts. I sun render in half gallon mason jars. [/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They’re actually caplets, easily torn with a fingernail, stick, knife, etc. or just smashed, and can be found on Amazon for .07 cents per caplet, or less. Only need 1 per trap. Don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a gallon jug of it, when a small bottle with 100+ caplets is so much easier to carry? Reminds me of a neighbor walking around the neighborhood with weights in her hands, constantly pumping. [/quote]

--_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixieland.......
I use fish oil as a trailing scent. A squirt bottle is used to lay a two to four foot trail leading to the trap. I use this method for coon and fisher.

Caplets Just wouldn't foot the bill.

I also use fish oil in some of my predator baits.

Nobody carries around a gallon jug and I don't know where you got that idea. Bigger bottle for refill goes in the truck or four wheeler and squirt bottle goes in lure bag.

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited by Turtledale; 02/24/24 02:58 PM.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread