Home

Homemade fish oil

Posted By: KSjackalope

Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 02:08 AM

Anyone have any tips to make fish oil? I am sure type of fish matters? Do you need the whole fish or just use the carcass after you clean fish? Is it something that needs made away from your house and garage to avoid stinking everything up?

Wouldn't mind trying it, but would like some advice.

Thanks
Posted By: That.darn.coon

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 02:13 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD-UUzr-Y2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hRoddZfPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Hnj-umYLE

I have never made fish oil myself, but I think you could gain some knowledge from these videos.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 02:18 AM

belly fat from spoonbill or flatheads is good. It wont stink.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 02:24 AM

Everyone should try their hand at making fish oil at east once in their lives.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 02:29 AM

I tried it once with about 40 gallons of fileted channel cats. Never got any oil to speak of. Heck of a mess to try to dispose of.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 03:10 AM

Contact ltgrey on here with a pm
He know this well
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 03:25 AM

I ain’t making a big stinking mess and wasting my time and labor, when you can get the 1200 mg capsules fairly cheap.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by dixieland
I ain’t making a big stinking mess and wasting my time and labor, when you can get the 1200 mg capsules fairly cheap.

My fingers would get pretty sore opening all those capsules to fill a gallon jug. And a little too expensive. crazy
I sun render walleye fat every year. Not much smell and all but a little comes back as pure oil. Walleye are loaded with fat that is easy to strip out of the guts. I sun render in half gallon mason jars.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Everyone should try their hand at making fish oil at east once in their lives.

Still have the gallon jar and heavy glass that we used as a lid. Been decades since I've made some. Used it for coons which I no longer target.
Posted By: Wallace

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 12:39 PM

I made some once with skipjack and shad. I put alternating layers of fish and rock salt in a 40 qt cooler with the plug removed. It almost immediately started to drip golden oil.

After it quit producing oil I had salted preserved fish to use as bait.
Posted By: flash

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 01:10 PM

As a ten year old I made my first from cut up carp. Mom said so what have you got out in that shed and why all the flies back there!! Got the idea from fur fish and game in 1968. And it worked great too.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 03:47 PM

About everyone has tried it ONCE. Go ahead. It's kind of fun, but then you'll likely do what I (and about everyone else does) and buy it from someone else.
Posted By: TRADER TUT

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 04:31 PM

NYS Fish Hatchery mid 70's, lost a truck load of 8" brown trout. When the electrical system crashed during transport. Off loaded into a 55 gal. headless drum, located in an open area. "SUN RENDERED". Good stuff. Tut

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 05:07 PM

Some fish have big gobs of fat in their belly. Thats the stuff.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 05:08 PM

I dont know how much fish oil some trappers use,but I can easily collect a gallon or more a year,from draining sardines that I eat fairly regularly(good for the health)and I also collect fry oil that I fry fish in.
Both are excellent fish oil for use on the line,either alone or mixed with the standards.
No need to mess around with rotten stinky stuff.

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 05:09 PM

A little of that good oil mixed onto dry cat food is an excellent coon dp bait. The oil is very attractive to coyotes fox and bobcats too.
Posted By: washxc

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 06:02 PM

I do like turtle does and render the belly fat from walleyes. It's easy and makes a great fish oil.
Posted By: Dillrod

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 07:12 PM

Like everyone I tried it .
Chunked up a 5 gallon sealable barrel of spawning female suckers.
Tube vented into a 5 gallon bucket of water to control odor and flies out of it.
Pumped the oil off late that fall .
Maybe 2 qts.
Results are unknown.
I never thought about visitors and the oil container was drug off and emptied that night.
Lt Grey was my instructor years and website crashes ago.
He schooled me on salting a couple of food grade buckets of smaller whole suckers.
I still have the buckets of salted sucker stored away.
Not sure i want to break the seal on them.
Been a long long time.
LOL

I say do it.
Pick a oily fish and be sure to vent carefully .
No need for enemies in the neighborhood.
Good luck and post pics.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 07:36 PM

drill a hole in your jar lid stick a hoe init and glue or caulk couple feet of hose stick a power saw or snowmobile filter that goes into the fuel tank on the other end make sure it has a check valve in it Coons cats and other varmints will be attracted to the oder and if it rolls over or breaks your wife won't forget it and neither will you

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 09:24 PM

Letting belly fat self render is not only a better product than rotten stuff but lots better than the pressed oil.
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/23/24 11:43 PM

Made a couple of containers of fish oil last summer.......recently got access to farm raised trout parts....farm raised trout contain more body fat or head fat should I say...and I too use the methods relayed by LT
Posted By: dixieland

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/24/24 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale
Originally Posted by dixieland

My fingers would get pretty sore opening all those capsules to fill a gallon jug. And a little too expensive. crazy
I sun render walleye fat every year. Not much smell and all but a little comes back as pure oil. Walleye are loaded with fat that is easy to strip out of the guts. I sun render in half gallon mason jars.

They’re actually caplets, easily torn with a fingernail, stick, knife, etc. or just smashed, and can be found on Amazon for .07 cents per caplet, or less. Only need 1 per trap. Don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a gallon jug of it, when a small bottle with 100+ caplets is so much easier to carry? Reminds me of a neighbor walking around the neighborhood with weights in her hands, constantly pumping.
Posted By: Cletis Richards

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/24/24 03:36 AM

Sun rendered fish oil is far superior I only use sunrendered fish oil in my baits.,fish oil is a fat and highly sought after by the animals...FYI I don't carry them on the line but make my fish oil in 55 gal drums.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/24/24 05:41 PM

Pick a oily fish and be sure to vent carefully .
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Homemade fish oil - 02/24/24 06:15 PM

I sun render walleye fat every year. Not much smell and all but a little comes back as pure oil. Walleye are loaded with fat that is easy to strip out of the guts. I sun render in half gallon mason jars. [/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
They’re actually caplets, easily torn with a fingernail, stick, knife, etc. or just smashed, and can be found on Amazon for .07 cents per caplet, or less. Only need 1 per trap. Don’t understand why anyone would want to carry around a gallon jug of it, when a small bottle with 100+ caplets is so much easier to carry? Reminds me of a neighbor walking around the neighborhood with weights in her hands, constantly pumping. [/quote]

--_----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dixieland.......
I use fish oil as a trailing scent. A squirt bottle is used to lay a two to four foot trail leading to the trap. I use this method for coon and fisher.

Caplets Just wouldn't foot the bill.

I also use fish oil in some of my predator baits.

Nobody carries around a gallon jug and I don't know where you got that idea. Bigger bottle for refill goes in the truck or four wheeler and squirt bottle goes in lure bag.

Hope this clears things up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums