No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Question about deer and rabbit dogs #8080866
02/18/24 09:19 PM
02/18/24 09:19 PM
Louisiana
Y
Yellowbelly Offline OP
trapper
Yellowbelly  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Louisiana
Has anyone ever had any luck with making a retired one into a decent house dog.

Last edited by Yellowbelly; 02/18/24 09:19 PM.
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8080948
02/18/24 10:58 PM
02/18/24 10:58 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Online content
trapper
BvrRetriever  Online Content
trapper
B

WI
The problem is they don’t retire…you just tell them they did. You can’t take the hunt out of a hound. If you’re able to house break them, don’t ever turn them loose to go to the bathroom. I’ve had dogs on death’s door that thought they were going hunting on the last walk.

That said, my very best hound I ever had spent her last week in my house sleeping on my hunting jacket by the fireplace. She had spent a fair amount of time in doors before that when having/raising pups. She knew enough to ask to go outside when needed.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: BvrRetriever] #8080953
02/18/24 11:07 PM
02/18/24 11:07 PM
Mn
N
nightlife Offline
trapper
nightlife  Offline
trapper
N

Mn
Originally Posted by BvrRetriever
The problem is they don’t retire…you just tell them they did. You can’t take the hunt out of a hound. If you’re able to house break them, don’t ever turn them loose to go to the bathroom. I’ve had dogs on death’s door that thought they were going hunting on the last walk.

That said, my very best hound I ever had spent her last week in my house sleeping on my hunting jacket by the fireplace. She had spent a fair amount of time in doors before that when having/raising pups. She knew enough to ask to go outside when needed.

My last old hound lived most of his life outside, we moved him inside when he was about 10 or so, it literally took to days to house break him, after the second punishment of yelling and shouting with lots of stomping he never had an accident in the house again till he was around 17/18 and then it was rare

And yes if he was let outside he needed to be on a chain or he w as off hunting, he was also the best dog I have ever had he lived till he was 22 and every day he wanted to go hunting and I bet if he had had the chance he would have gotten out of his death bed to go hunting

God I still miss him

�Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.�
― Robert A. Heinlein
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8080958
02/18/24 11:13 PM
02/18/24 11:13 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Hounds don't make good house dogs. I got an english setter now. He lives in the house. Best natured dog I ever had. His only bad habit is sneaking into bed with my wife and me. I wake up in the morning with me and the wife having half the bed and the dog the other half. He has figured out how to get on the bed without waking us up.

If you want hounds you need a kennel. If you want a house dog get something else.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081003
02/19/24 12:36 AM
02/19/24 12:36 AM
OH
A
Apparition2 Offline
trapper
Apparition2  Offline
trapper
A

OH
It really depends on the dog. A friend has field trial beagles that are actually smart. Several end up in the house or hunting cabin for periods of time. They are just like house dogs. If you let a dog out to take care of business and it does not listen.....that is a dog that is not trained. Just don't bring in one until you give it a good bath.

One of this guys dogs will even take a leg injury to avoid jumping in the truck or if it thinks it can get away with something. Cost the guy $400 in vet bills to find out it was faking it. Now it pulls the act on people with food. Plays it up really convincing.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081006
02/19/24 12:42 AM
02/19/24 12:42 AM
ND
grumley701 Offline
trapper
grumley701  Offline
trapper

ND
Hounds aren’t stupid they just were never bread for obedience..

Pure Blood
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081009
02/19/24 01:09 AM
02/19/24 01:09 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Just like any other dog I've had she listens fine great companion for the wife and I. She loves to go in the truck with me she's my ride or die. The wheels come off when she sees a rabbit then the hound kicks in.

Got her at a year old she got accustomed rather quickly lives like a princess now.

Not much of a fox dog she pretends its not there. LOL
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081017
02/19/24 02:16 AM
02/19/24 02:16 AM
Wisconsin
D
Dillon Benda Offline
trapper
Dillon Benda  Offline
trapper
D

Wisconsin
I've had several curs and half hounds as house dogs. They've been great. They're laid back and well mannered in the house. I have an 8 month old full hound that doesn't live inside but I've been doing some obedience stuff with her and she's been as good as any dog I've ever worked with. I don't know where the idea that they're dumb or hard headed comes from. They're not border Collies but they're really not hard to train. Most of the other dogs I've had were short hairs and German shepherds. I feel like mine are as easy to train as the short hairs and easier to live with in the house than either of those two. Id say the hardest part is letting them loose in the yard. I have Garmin collars and they learn pretty quick that they're supposed to stay home. I'm not sure about an old retiree but I've started to prefer letting them grow up outside and then bringing them inside. They're so much easier to housebreak and teach the rules. I don't know if I'll ever start a puppy of any breed in the house. It's just so much easier after a year old. You just need to test them the same as a puppy for a few days.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081043
02/19/24 06:46 AM
02/19/24 06:46 AM
Louisiana
Y
Yellowbelly Offline OP
trapper
Yellowbelly  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Louisiana
Thanks for all the input guys. I know a hunting dog isn't ideal but unfortunately with it being the end of hunting season someone left one to starve at the boat landing.its got the club marks and no collar.couldnt leave him there so I guess we will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081048
02/19/24 07:24 AM
02/19/24 07:24 AM
Wisconsin
8117 Steve R Offline
trapper
8117 Steve R  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
You're a good person yellowbelly.

Steve
WTA
NRA
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081049
02/19/24 07:25 AM
02/19/24 07:25 AM
MO
D
Dstone1992 Offline
trapper
Dstone1992  Offline
trapper
D

MO
A dog that beat down might appreciate at rug to sleep on.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081055
02/19/24 07:39 AM
02/19/24 07:39 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Every dog is diff. There is no one answer for every dog. Id say its not the most common but yeah it can be done. The best coonhound I knew was a guys buddy and road shotgun where ever they went and was a house dog but if you cut him into the woods look out.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081083
02/19/24 08:35 AM
02/19/24 08:35 AM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
I wish you luck.I have never had a problem with my Beagles in the house.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081187
02/19/24 11:34 AM
02/19/24 11:34 AM
mo.
N
nate Offline
trapper
nate  Offline
trapper
N

mo.
YB
A dog is never to old to learn, you can teach an old dog just as easy or easier than a pup, are blackouth cut ( hound) is in door out door dog one of the hardest hunting dogs I've had you only have to tell her a couple times and she get the message loud and clear, it depends on how smart they are and how affective you are, cuz a smart dog will know what he can get away with and a dumydog , well good luck!!!

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081192
02/19/24 11:48 AM
02/19/24 11:48 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Thanks for all the input guys. I know a hunting dog isn't ideal but unfortunately with it being the end of hunting season someone left one to starve at the boat landing.its got the club marks and no collar.couldnt leave him there so I guess we will give it a shot and see how it goes.

Honestly seems about every abandoned dog I've taken in becomes a pretty good dog. Like they wanna repay the kindness you did to them. If they have a lot of hunt in them I've had difficulties at times but generally it's not horrible. Then again I don't ask for too much

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081459
02/19/24 05:08 PM
02/19/24 05:08 PM
Louisiana
Y
Yellowbelly Offline OP
trapper
Yellowbelly  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Louisiana
Well he made it through the night so that's good. The biggest concern I have is the chickens but rite now he is so weak he can barely stand so we will cross the chicken bridge once we get there. Thanks for all the input guys.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: danny clifton] #8081483
02/19/24 05:42 PM
02/19/24 05:42 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by danny clifton
Hounds don't make good house dogs. I got an english setter now. He lives in the house. Best natured dog I ever had. His only bad habit is sneaking into bed with my wife and me. I wake up in the morning with me and the wife having half the bed and the dog the other half. He has figured out how to get on the bed without waking us up.

If you want hounds you need a kennel. If you want a house dog get something else.

I disagree with ya there Danny. My last two hounds lived in the house and they loved being house dogs. Easy to housebreak, slept on the couch, would have slept in the bed but we didn't allow that. Didn't do anything wrong like getting in the garbage or stealing food off the counter... I could leave steaks on the counter and leave the dog in the house and steaks would be there when I got home. I believe it's all in how you raise them. Didn't seem to hurt her hunting any either. The last one I had, Dixie, was a great hunter (the one before her was just mediocre). As soon as you let her out of the truck she was all business. Gone in a flash and would go as deep as it took to get treed. I would argue that hounds can make great housedogs.

As for the OPs comment about the chickens, do you have a shock collar? I had to zap my last hound twice to get her to quit going after chickens. Some dogs only take one time. I've never had one that took more than 3 times. But don't just tickle em, light em up.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081485
02/19/24 05:44 PM
02/19/24 05:44 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
My beagle won’t look at a bird pheasant or chicken she’s focused on bunnies and the neighbors cats our cats she gets along with no problem.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: yotetrapper30] #8081570
02/19/24 07:11 PM
02/19/24 07:11 PM
Louisiana
Y
Yellowbelly Offline OP
trapper
Yellowbelly  Offline OP
trapper
Y

Louisiana
No shock collar yet. I'm still not sure he is even going to make it. He was out there for a while before I found him. Ribs hips and even backbone are visible and he can barely walk. I was more or less brining him home so he could pass in comfort but he is hanging in there. We've been giving home eggs witch worked miracles when my puppy got parvovirus. And of course regular dog food. I'm going to get a shock collar if he starts getting active I was looking at them today at tractor supply.

Re: Question about deer and rabbit dogs [Re: Yellowbelly] #8081577
02/19/24 07:19 PM
02/19/24 07:19 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
No shock collar yet. I'm still not sure he is even going to make it. He was out there for a while before I found him. Ribs hips and even backbone are visible and he can barely walk. I was more or less brining him home so he could pass in comfort but he is hanging in there. We've been giving home eggs witch worked miracles when my puppy got parvovirus. And of course regular dog food. I'm going to get a shock collar if he starts getting active I was looking at them today at tractor supply.

I found a dog this past fall. Actually, it found me. Showed up hiding under the porch of one of our cabins. I didn't think it would live. Like you said, every rib and every knob of the spine sticking out. Covered head to toe with mange, NO hair other than a small strip on its tail. To see if now you'd never know it was almost dead. Took it to the vet once, and asked what he was giving it for the mange. Then ordered the same med online and treated it myself. Took about 8 weeks but then she was as good as new. He might surprise ya.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread