No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080074
02/17/24 09:12 PM
02/17/24 09:12 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Was checking some fisher sets one morning ..down by a frozen beaver pond.

When out of the corner of my eye..I see 2 mink.fighting on the ice.

That ball of fur and fury ..went back and forth a couple times..

What a show...until the wind blew in my face...what a smell !

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080078
02/17/24 09:16 PM
02/17/24 09:16 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
A few years back I got a top lot mink at FHA ...fetched me 63.00

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080144
02/17/24 10:52 PM
02/17/24 10:52 PM
alaska
T
trapped4ever Offline
trapper
trapped4ever  Offline
trapper
T

alaska
Here is an ADF&G video with a bit about the Y-K Delta mink and Mink Festival in Bethel. I figured many on here possibly haven't seen it. They do show a few mink being caught in the taluyooks. H.E. Goldberg was the biggest buyer for those mink for years, and preferred to buy otters and mink, turned fur out. This was still pretty common practice, at least up until the mid 1990's, in some regions of the state, with trappers turning mink and otter fur out.
It was a pretty hard habit for some to break, since Goldberg bought them fur out for quite a few decades.This is obviously not how the auctions wanted them, and may have cost guys transitioning to shipping to auctions a few dollars, after Goldberg quit buying.

https://youtu.be/mY1AxYL9fXs?si=1JRiTOqVCNXPQoi7

Last edited by trapped4ever; 02/18/24 01:44 AM.
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080236
02/18/24 02:05 AM
02/18/24 02:05 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Cool video T4E. I remember seeing that on RATNET years ago. Good to see some familiar faces that are gone now.

I was the fur buyer that came after Goldberg that had to convince the trappers not to turn their mink and otter fur out. It was a challenge, most did not want to do it. I also had to break them of the habit of skinning out all the paws, and to leave them inside not turned out.

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080244
02/18/24 02:34 AM
02/18/24 02:34 AM
alaska
T
trapped4ever Offline
trapper
trapped4ever  Offline
trapper
T

alaska
YJ,
Yeah, back when RATNET started, they had some pretty diverse programming! Later, 360 North used to show a lot of the good old Alaskana videos, but it seems like 360 North programming has switched to garbage liberal nonsense now frown
Funny about the unnecessary turning of skin out furs, and feet left intact. Some of those buyers in the 60's, 70's and 80's would dock your offers pretty hard, if you cut the feet/ claws off marten and mink, and demanded the mink and otter had to be fur out. I bet that was a tough transition for your trappers, since most of us long time trappers tend to get set in our ways, and have a tough time changing our fur handling habits!! wink I know around '83-'88, down here, we still left paws and claws on them. Mink were around $75 then, and marten $100.

Here is another of those old 90's videos I found, when trying to locate that one about village trappers and the Y-K Delta Mink Festival. Some more familiar faces in this video too wink

https://youtu.be/RjQPzuSYi-4?si=-SZqMQs6IKr4jXo9

Last edited by trapped4ever; 02/18/24 02:39 AM.
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080248
02/18/24 03:00 AM
02/18/24 03:00 AM
Alaska and Washington State
W
waggler Offline
trapper
waggler  Offline
trapper
W

Alaska and Washington State
Great video, that must have been in the early 70's. I noticed Jerry Campbell, Goldberg's buyer. Down in Washington at that time I always preferred to have Irwin grade my furs, I always got a better price from him than if Jerry graded them,

"My life is better than your vacation"
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080254
02/18/24 03:25 AM
02/18/24 03:25 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
That is another good video. I used to eat breakfast with governor Jay every morning at NELBRO packing in Naknek.

I not only had a hard time convincing them to cut off the paws off and not turn the fur, you should of see the confusion on their faces when I showed them how to cut a inspection window !

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080266
02/18/24 06:01 AM
02/18/24 06:01 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Great video, that made me smile and made my day. I wish programming like this was shown more often.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080352
02/18/24 09:52 AM
02/18/24 09:52 AM
Northern MN
O
Osky Offline
trapper
Osky  Offline
trapper
O

Northern MN
Over the years, it goes in spurts, there is a female mink that brings the young into the yard and beach here. I’ve. Never seen more than 3 young.
The place is only 38’ from waters edge so it’s a great viewing. Fun watching her teach. I see her for maybe 4 years with new batches then a break of a few then it starts over. I’m sure they are different females that move into the area.

In the fall the otters move in for the frogs, that’s another great show.

Osky

"A womans heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth, and I can find no sign on it"

Jabless in Minnesota

www.SureDockusa.com
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080488
02/18/24 12:32 PM
02/18/24 12:32 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Wow, thanks T4E. Dean Wilson, Joe Mattie, Mark Richard's. Mark lives near me now in Fbks. Zarnke, Pat Valkenburg. Seeing Fleener that young. Surprised Pat's wife wasn't in that vid. Wonder what Audrey is doing now. Gulo must have known most of those people.

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080503
02/18/24 12:54 PM
02/18/24 12:54 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Some of the old timers found it hard to convert to fur-in-fur-out change of scenery. It was always a shame to see 100 marten come in with fur in. At least you could see the throat patches through the pelt.
As for mink what a shame not being able to see the leather, as it was a hiding spot for early caught. Especially if the tail was pulled. From 60 to 6 in a heart beat.

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8080541
02/18/24 01:44 PM
02/18/24 01:44 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
martentrapper -

Yeah. Brings back good memories. Somehow, I never really knew Mark Richards. But Dean Wilson, Sr., Joe Mattie, Patrick, Audrey, and Fleener I knew well. I well remember once on an Aeroflot jet headed for Khabarovsk, chewing the fat with Joe and another old friend, Lars Eidnes. They were headed to Russia on a buying trip. Somewhere over the North Pacific. It wasn't 'til years later, in Fairbanks, that I learned from Joe, how they did on that trip. Good memories. Some 30 years ago.

Jack

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8081069
02/19/24 08:15 AM
02/19/24 08:15 AM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Gulo It s hard for me to decide if I learn more from your post or if I am more amazed by your great photo work But either way we all win Your info concerning home range is certainly of use to anyone trying to trap them in large numbers , I really enjoy atching them In my early days of trapping for them many old time trappers portrayed them as sly and wary and almost impossible to catch in large numbers And it was made out to be that only the best of the best trappers could catch them in quantity It took me a while but once I learned how the mink use cover as it travels and you set accordingly being a mink trapper becomes a bit easierI went for catching one from time to time mostly in sets made for coon to catching 2 or 3 a year Still not many but nearly all that I caught when in sets made to catch mink And I had at least one per season for 20 plus years And my number of mink targeted varied from year to year depending on the value of the fur When you can look at a spot and see where the trap needs to be to catch one you are now in the mind set of being a mink trapper My favorite encounter with a mink was once while deer hunting I was walking near the edge of a shallow stream And on one side was a harvested corn field and on the other side of the stream was large patches of multiflora rose mixed with some cattails, black berry bushes ,, barn yard grass ,foxtail and other types of cover I had killed deer there in the past It is a good spot to walk slowly and maybe stop and glass ahead to see one in the cover
I stopped to load my gun and I saw movement in the water just ahead of me I figured muskrat as I had gotten a few in that aera over the years BUT what I saw was a mink swimming my way with a muskrat in it's mouth The mink had the rat centered in is mouth. and heading down stream with it using it like a rudder as it went It went by me without any reaction My guess is with it's mouth full of muskrat And with their little eyes it's field of view was pretty limited I do not have any pictures of it beside the one I have in my head But I can still see it clear as if it had happened yesterday That little mink had invited a guest for lunch and it was intent on being the perfect host when the meal arrived

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8081075
02/19/24 08:22 AM
02/19/24 08:22 AM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Stumbled across this one frolicking on a beaver stash.

IMG_2863.jpegIMG_2862.jpeg
Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: w side rd 151] #8081097
02/19/24 08:49 AM
02/19/24 08:49 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
Gulo It s hard for me to decide if I learn more from your post or if I am more amazed by your great photo work But either way we all win Your info concerning home range is certainly of use to anyone trying to trap them in large numbers , I really enjoy atching them In my early days of trapping for them many old time trappers portrayed them as sly and wary and almost impossible to catch in large numbers And it was made out to be that only the best of the best trappers could catch them in quantity It took me a while but once I learned how the mink use cover as it travels and you set accordingly being a mink trapper becomes a bit easierI went for catching one from time to time mostly in sets made for coon to catching 2 or 3 a year Still not many but nearly all that I caught when in sets made to catch mink And I had at least one per season for 20 plus years And my number of mink targeted varied from year to year depending on the value of the fur When you can look at a spot and see where the trap needs to be to catch one you are now in the mind set of being a mink trapper My favorite encounter with a mink was once while deer hunting I was walking near the edge of a shallow stream And on one side was a harvested corn field and on the other side of the stream was large patches of multiflora rose mixed with some cattails, black berry bushes ,, barn yard grass ,foxtail and other types of cover I had killed deer there in the past It is a good spot to walk slowly and maybe stop and glass ahead to see one in the cover
I stopped to load my gun and I saw movement in the water just ahead of me I figured muskrat as I had gotten a few in that aera over the years BUT what I saw was a mink swimming my way with a muskrat in it's mouth The mink had the rat centered in is mouth. and heading down stream with it using it like a rudder as it went It went by me without any reaction My guess is with it's mouth full of muskrat And with their little eyes it's field of view was pretty limited I do not have any pictures of it beside the one I have in my head But I can still see it clear as if it had happened yesterday That little mink had invited a guest for lunch and it was intent on being the perfect host when the meal arrived

west side - Great story!! Through the years while fishing or trapping, I can recall probably 50 times that I've watched mink when I'm out and about, although I've never seen one carrying a muskrat. Mice (voles) and fish, yes, but not muskrats. I think spouting off home range sizes is basically bogus information. Every habitat is of different quality, thus, home ranges may be 1/4 mile long or it may be 5 miles. Trapping mink in archipelago southeast Alaska was a real education. I put out only 24 Conibear boxes along a ten-mile stretch of islands on December 1, and picked them up on Christmas day. Always got a few mink more than 100. I've never before or afterwards seen such a phenomenal density of mink. The first check I'd usually get more than 20 mink in 24 boxes.

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8081458
02/19/24 05:07 PM
02/19/24 05:07 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
Was there a very large number of prey species there to would draw mink into that area ? Or on the other hand very few predators on the mink in that area ?That had to be fun checking traps with near to a 100% success rate as far as the number of mink caught and the number of sets you where checking.

Re: Photo Phriday 123 - Mink [Re: Gulo] #8081579
02/19/24 07:23 PM
02/19/24 07:23 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Seems I had these on T-man a while back????????

My All Purpose Boy hung some deer parts under his second story deck so they could watch the tweety birds peck at them all winter. A Mink spent nearly all winter feeding on the stuff. It had to climb several feet up a 6x6 or 4x6 treated pole to access the bounty. It basically ignored you only 2-3 feet away inside the picture window.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread