No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hawks and crows are supposed to be #8078226
02/15/24 08:34 PM
02/15/24 08:34 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Welp keep getting told if I'm calling in hawks and crows stay put and keep doing what I'm doing because something should be coming too... Five stands today, crows and hawks always within the first 5min 15-20 min later nothing . If what I keep getting told all this racket should have had something bouncing on in. A dying rabbit on the call and a flock of crows circling and hawk about 50yd away screaming it's head off . I'm just convinced there's not anything alive on these properties at this point crazy

https://youtube.com/shorts/h7yRVz3X6v0?si=INq_bcQ8awI0m4zw

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078228
02/15/24 08:36 PM
02/15/24 08:36 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Try an owl decoy and fight crow call and see if that works.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078240
02/15/24 08:52 PM
02/15/24 08:52 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was watching some calling videos , they put a guy about 150-200 yards the down wind side of the caller and on about half the stands he popped the yote that didn't come strait in because it was circling the caller first.

i claim zero knowledge but in 30 some stands the guy took about 1/3 of the total coyotes and because he was in the call it less glamorous spot and not the host or co-host of the videos sort of a tag along member they never seemed to have a camera on him so they would see the yote go down wind some times of the caller from a real distance and 30 seconds a minute later boom he had it .

they were in Colorado for that 3-4 day trip they were filming

they also always walked into a stand into the wind even if it meant a long walk

they had one very good video sequence where the co-host had shot and drug back a coyote then they heard a howl and set bac up quick , that yote was coming in hard till he hit the boot tracks of where he had drug the yote back and he was goon like a bolt but the guy way on the outside edge got it.

just my observations of watching and trying to pick up a thing or two.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078359
02/15/24 11:07 PM
02/15/24 11:07 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Hey I’m learning like you are. Look for tracks, deploy cameras, ride and look for critters. We take a ride every day marking tracks on OnX and possible stand locations based on certain winds. The wife is heading to Jax to watch a hockey game this weekend so you know where I’ll be, lol. Staying out late calling, getting up real early to check traps, then gotta be at the plantation by 0645 to start getting ready for quail hunting. That’s after working 5 days a week. At least I get to sleep in a little longer with my regular job.

Look at it this way, you could always crow hunt. Or find a bottom and take a shotgun and call coons during the daylight hours…we’re gonna try that soon.

Try varying volume, try something different than you’ve played before.

Just got my new caller in today!! If I can’t kill with all the sounds and bells and whistles this thing has I’m gonna sell everything I have and take up crochet, lol!!

Last edited by Wanna Be; 02/15/24 11:10 PM.
Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078361
02/15/24 11:11 PM
02/15/24 11:11 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Meant to throw in, try different times. If sunrise ain’t working try sunset.

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wanna Be] #8078406
02/16/24 12:24 AM
02/16/24 12:24 AM
Amite county Mississippi
trapper
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Meant to throw in, try different times. If sunrise ain’t working try sunset.

Well about all I've don't so far is mid day/ sun set. And since my NV is now out of commission I'm stud with day light shooting for a while sooo yeah tired

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8078407
02/16/24 12:25 AM
02/16/24 12:25 AM
Amite county Mississippi
trapper
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I was watching some calling videos , they put a guy about 150-200 yards the down wind side of the caller and on about half the stands he popped the yote that didn't come strait in because it was circling the caller first.

i claim zero knowledge but in 30 some stands the guy took about 1/3 of the total coyotes and because he was in the call it less glamorous spot and not the host or co-host of the videos sort of a tag along member they never seemed to have a camera on him so they would see the yote go down wind some times of the caller from a real distance and 30 seconds a minute later boom he had it .

they were in Colorado for that 3-4 day trip they were filming

they also always walked into a stand into the wind even if it meant a long walk

they had one very good video sequence where the co-host had shot and drug back a coyote then they heard a howl and set bac up quick , that yote was coming in hard till he hit the boot tracks of where he had drug the yote back and he was goon like a bolt but the guy way on the outside edge got it.

just my observations of watching and trying to pick up a thing or two.

Yeah the weird thing here is down wind is usually a thicket or something. I'm always jealous of them guys out west being able to see 2 (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) miles in every direction lol

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078464
02/16/24 06:37 AM
02/16/24 06:37 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
shoot, every crow,

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078481
02/16/24 07:25 AM
02/16/24 07:25 AM
Ohio
OhioBoy Offline
trapper
OhioBoy  Offline
trapper

Ohio
I see all my yotes in the morning but that don't mean nothin I guess.

Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078567
02/16/24 09:48 AM
02/16/24 09:48 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91

Yeah the weird thing here is down wind is usually a thicket or something. I'm always jealous of them guys out west being able to see 2 (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) miles in every direction lol

right up till you see their house at the edge of town mounded over the roof in tumble weed in October then drifted over in snow come Dec

or wait 5 years for a draw on a deer tag.

it's all a trade off just have to learn how those southern dogs move

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hawks and crows are supposed to be [Re: Wolfdog91] #8078902
02/16/24 03:59 PM
02/16/24 03:59 PM
PA
C
coyotesoldier229 Online content
trapper
coyotesoldier229  Online Content
trapper
C

PA
Not every crow has a coyote but every coyote has a crow, a wise man once told me. Dont be afraid to set up in close quarters, use that thicket to your advantage. I don’t usually call open areas during daylight, focusing on areas near where I’ve scouted, found sign, and they're laying up during the day, hardwood ridges, edges of thickets, and I like to see my downwind side, maybe even set up cross wind. They don’t seem to swing as far downwind in cover to find what’s making all that racket during the day. Even at night, big open fields like a cut bean field or corn, unless the stubble is high, they don’t seem to want to cross them. This time of year, I’m gonna howl, yip, whimpers, and I’m never afraid to play pup distress or rodent distress sounds. Louder or higher volume isnt always the answer. At night, I’ll put my caller out 60-100 yards so if they swing downwind they’re between the caller and my set up. Daylight, in cover, I’m gonna have the caller much closer, maybe 30-40 yards at most We kill a lot of coyotes staring at the caller or come in and sit down. After we’ve called a spot and had success, it doesn’t hurt to let it cool or set up a different way next time. Mix up your sounds, and if you stop them with a bark or howl, be ready to shoot.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread