No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
For the “callers”…another coyote down #8076989
02/14/24 03:53 PM
02/14/24 03:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Went out last night again with my son. He had an older gentleman at his work that wanted to go and I was all for it since he had more experience than us.
First stand I called and nothing. Second stand he used a call, not sure what, and nothing. Third stand was flooded out. Fourth stand he used a Lucky Duck and the first howl got answered close. He switched it to “experienced coyote” or something like that and they pretty much announced their arrival. They went silent and I was watching the area they last called at us and my son was watching the harrowed field.
One hit the field and my son announced it and I told him to shoot already. He did and the coyote went down.
After the shot another bolted across the field and took a hard left away from us. We both missed and looked back to the downed coyote that was no longer there. This joker folded at the shot and was gone. Luckily it was an easy track job.

[Linked Image]

This is our third time out and a coyote each time.
Now this is where I have some questions and where I think we’re going to change some things.
If you hear nothing after the initial howls and yipping, do you stay or move on. We have yet to kill anything where we didn’t hear something right from the start. We’re giving it a solid 30-40 minutes sometimes.
I think next time out we’re going to run and gun. Set up and if no response, move on.

Now next question, all three coyotes have been males. Are they just the first in and it just their unlucky night? Or are males always the aggressive ones? Would “male sounds” outproduce female sounds now or does it matter. There’re 3 widowed coyotes out there now.

And lastly, that Lucky Duck sounded sweet! I hope my Icotec sounds somewhat close sound wise. And that brings me to my final question…VOLUME. Those sounds sounded great but Lawd have mercy it was LOUD. I was almost thinking we might drive some away it was so loud. Do y’all keep the setting on max volume or tone it down?

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077003
02/14/24 04:40 PM
02/14/24 04:40 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I have no idea , we just got a caller
but I sure like seeing the pics and hearing your experience

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8077029
02/14/24 05:12 PM
02/14/24 05:12 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I have no idea , we just got a caller
but I sure like seeing the pics and hearing your experience

All I can say is when it happens…it’s a rush. Having someone else with us sorta through me or maybe us off a little. But I’ve always said, you can learn something from every experience and anyone.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077035
02/14/24 05:20 PM
02/14/24 05:20 PM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Following closely. I have a Foxpro and have called in several cats successfully over the years. My neighbor was gifted a thermal scope for his retirement. Ill bring the Foxpro and he'll bring the gun....I know this will be a whole different ballgame going after coyotes. Anxious to hear some wisdom from those experienced in calling at night....

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077040
02/14/24 05:28 PM
02/14/24 05:28 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
my son purchased a foxpro HellCat I am looking for good sounds to load on it besides the default it comes with.

we have no thermal so for now we are day time.

actually more excited about day time coon calling , but the den trees I checked have no activity right now.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077046
02/14/24 05:38 PM
02/14/24 05:38 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I have never called at night and have never gotten a response. Normally get in quite set up and hit a rabbit in distress call normally lighting Jack on my fox pro got the best results. 5 to 20 min is normally the response time. I have watched them run in from 700 yards away stop about 100 and die. There is nothing like it. Fast and fun. But trapping is more effective I think. But I also don't have thermal and think that would be a game changer.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077052
02/14/24 05:46 PM
02/14/24 05:46 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I couldn’t see 700yds here with a thermal if I had to. Not a coyote anyways. We do have a lot of “weed” fields that get harrowed under every quail season, but grow back by late Spring early Summer.
I don’t know how many folks say their coyotes aren’t vocal, but it’s way more than those that say they are. Heck out of 16 coyotes killed, 14 announced their presence. 2 were sniped after just being spotted while walking or riding and just spotting them. Everyone that’s lets us know they were there has come in, except some we heard across the swollen creek and we knew they weren’t crossing.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077054
02/14/24 05:50 PM
02/14/24 05:50 PM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
I typically might do some locator howls, just to see if one is close, but not always. I call for cats or dogs so usually start somewhat low volume with bird or mouse sounds then after 16 20 min go to a rabbit at more volume. A cat response can typically take up to 30 min so if they're in the area give it time. Have pup yips on your secondary call button for dogs if they spook or won't commit. Lots of times it will stop or turn them. Watch your wind for dogs. Not as important with cats

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077126
02/14/24 07:39 PM
02/14/24 07:39 PM
AZ
D
dixieland Offline
trapper
dixieland  Offline
trapper
D

AZ
You can’t be vague, beat around the bush, or say “I don’t know” what calls are being used and ask someone to critique.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: la4wd54] #8077130
02/14/24 07:43 PM
02/14/24 07:43 PM
Webster County W.V
matt Offline
trapper
matt  Offline
trapper

Webster County W.V
While no expert, we have been doing pretty well. Try to hunt at least 2 nights a week. Some areas you will find always seems to hold a few coyotes. We will sneak in and set up, call these areas. But we don’t do a lot of blind calling. Mostly we will locate, get the wind and move in closer. I have a lucky duck call and a buddy has a fox pro. We have do better with the lucky duck 2-1. For locating I will play a lone male howl, pause it, wait 15 seconds play the same male howl. Pause it, the a lone female howl. Let it howl twice stop it. Give it a min or so and play a pair howl. Mine is about 26 seconds. Stop it and listen most will respond by 3 min. If nothing will play a serenade for about 25 seconds. If nothing responds by about 5 min. We move on. Will play the volume if it’s calm about 24-26 on a scale of 32. If we get a response get the wind and move close as we can. Put the call about 50 yards ahead of us. I start will a Cottentail/Jack mix. With the volume low, about 17 or so. Let that play about 2 mins for so. Most of the time, they are there within that. If nothing shows, will play cottontail alone about 2 min with the volume about 24, if nothing play Jackrabbit for the same amount. If still have not shown. Will wait about 2 or 3 min. Then do a challenge bark, then howl. Depending on what happens, if they bark or howl, will do the same as they do. If the don’t respond. Total time for us is 20 min or so. Most of the time if it happens, it’s fast. That’s just how we do it. I am sure others have a different experience.

Live each day as if it were your last. We know not at which hour it will come. Life is too short.Tell your loved ones each day how much you love them
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077156
02/14/24 08:19 PM
02/14/24 08:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve been starting with a lone female howl, if that doesn’t produce I go to a pair. Afterwards we sit for a minute or two just scanning, then go with rabbit 3-4min, woodpecker 3-4min, flying squirrel 3-4min, etc. after about 25 minutes or so if nothing has come in I hit a challenge, give it about 5 minutes or so of silence then move.

The one time I started with prey real low then increased volume while going through the gauntlet, I hit howl in the middle and they answered. It wasn’t a minute later and my son said coming in hot and shot. These jokers were behind us and came through brush.

I think my problem is I started back in August when pup in distress and a challenge bark was killing it. They were very vocal and quick to respond. I’m seeing those same sounds aren’t working like they did then, but still learning.

We generally pick areas where we “think” coyotes would be based on the wind we have to play with. Now what has me thinking is where we killed the coyote last night, my son had seen one there that morning while working. He even made the comment, I know it’s a long shot, but we’ll give it a try. What has me thinking is this, was this coyote heading to his daytime spot and laid up the entire day until we hit the call and woke them up?

Another question I’ve been wondering about is we’ve been going at sundown. When I first started I was getting up with the wife at 0500 and while she went to the gym, I went to the woods. Do y’all prefer sundown, before sunup, or middle of the night? No, I can’t stay out all night, lol.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077215
02/14/24 09:17 PM
02/14/24 09:17 PM
GA
P
PSPH17 Offline
trapper
PSPH17  Offline
trapper
P

GA
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I’ve been starting with a lone female howl, if that doesn’t produce I go to a pair. Afterwards we sit for a minute or two just scanning, then go with rabbit 3-4min, woodpecker 3-4min, flying squirrel 3-4min, etc. after about 25 minutes or so if nothing has come in I hit a challenge, give it about 5 minutes or so of silence then move.

The one time I started with prey real low then increased volume while going through the gauntlet, I hit howl in the middle and they answered. It wasn’t a minute later and my son said coming in hot and shot. These jokers were behind us and came through brush.

I think my problem is I started back in August when pup in distress and a challenge bark was killing it. They were very vocal and quick to respond. I’m seeing those same sounds aren’t working like they did then, but still learning.

We generally pick areas where we “think” coyotes would be based on the wind we have to play with. Now what has me thinking is where we killed the coyote last night, my son had seen one there that morning while working. He even made the comment, I know it’s a long shot, but we’ll give it a try. What has me thinking is this, was this coyote heading to his daytime spot and laid up the entire day until we hit the call and woke them up?

Another question I’ve been wondering about is we’ve been going at sundown. When I first started I was getting up with the wife at 0500 and while she went to the gym, I went to the woods. Do y’all prefer sundown, before sunup, or middle of the night? No, I can’t stay out all night, lol.

My brother just went down to south ga last weekend.
He’s a coyote killer. He said they had lots of good sets. I think they killed 19 or 20.

Last edited by PSPH17; 02/14/24 09:19 PM.
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077223
02/14/24 09:22 PM
02/14/24 09:22 PM
Webster County W.V
matt Offline
trapper
matt  Offline
trapper

Webster County W.V
For us it seems to be 10-2. Lots of times I won’t leave the house till 9:30 or 10:00. Almost always home by 4:00 or so. Sometime in that range they will be active. It’s funny we talk to a lot of guys from other places after a tournament. It’s almost always the same time frame that they are active. We won’t have much action until say 3:00. Talk to them and they say the same. Even though it’s miles apart.

Live each day as if it were your last. We know not at which hour it will come. Life is too short.Tell your loved ones each day how much you love them
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077236
02/14/24 09:28 PM
02/14/24 09:28 PM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Back in the 70's we used an old siren off a truck it located an called in a pile of coyotes lots of memories.

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077255
02/14/24 09:47 PM
02/14/24 09:47 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
This time of year, I'd stick mostly with coyote vocals...and sparingly.

Venture to guess by now, even young coyotes have heard someone playing the bunny blues.

Vocals and plenty of patience.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077352
02/14/24 11:03 PM
02/14/24 11:03 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I've called a bit at the coyote calling competitions out west. 15 minutes max and on to the next spot. Not that something can't show up later than that but you're not playing a winning hand.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077433
02/15/24 12:19 AM
02/15/24 12:19 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if say you were working from these available sounds
https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/sounds/free-foxpro-sounds

what would you run for a stand and why?

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8077725
02/15/24 09:41 AM
02/15/24 09:41 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
if say you were working from these available sounds
https://www.gofoxpro.com/products/sounds/free-foxpro-sounds

what would you run for a stand and why?

What are you wanting to hunt?
I picked a caller that had the most sounds of what I wanted and the availability of adding sounds I want. I’m after coyotes, hogs, and coons. Can’t use e-callers for cats here, but they come in to all sounds…seriously. Don’t know why but pup distress will bring in cats.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077748
02/15/24 09:48 AM
02/15/24 09:48 AM
IL
G
goatman Offline
trapper
goatman  Offline
trapper
G

IL
Also if you can find a herd of cattle that is calving there will be at least a pair of yotes nearby.

Re: For the “callers”…another coyote down [Re: Wanna Be] #8077757
02/15/24 09:52 AM
02/15/24 09:52 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline OP
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline OP
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Right now I’d start off with any invitation calls. A howl first, then whatever they got that says “I’m willing and able, come get me”
I’d wait for a response. I was told now is not the time to challenge or use any pup distress…it’s mating season. If nothing responds after a second round 5 minutes later I’m moving.

If I wanted to stay, I’m going to prey sounds. Rabbit, rodents, even bird sounds. Woodpecker sounds at night works, so I’ve been told. I run a lot of prey sounds back to back. Around the 10-15min mark I’ll stop for a few and switch back to a coyote howl.

Now take all that at your own risk. I’m still learning, just saying what’s working for us right now. Too me, the best action time is denning season (Summer months). It get real hectic real quick. Even late summer when those pups are roaming with momma you have the entire pack coming in. That’s when those challenge calls and pup distress work. And again, this is what works for me in the Southwest part of GA.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread