No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076606
02/13/24 11:13 PM
02/13/24 11:13 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Ok I just found while searching more on nuisance management

https://p.widencdn.net/d9vt6g/nuswlguide

this does make it a mute point on anything where you are the agent of the land owner , thank you WI DNR for making it clear as mud in every other document.

Landowner Agent/Assistant
All persons assisting a landowner (i.e., acting as an agent of a land-
owner) in the removal of animals causing damage must possess
the following in accordance with NR 12.10(3)(c):
a) A valid hunting or trapping license if shooting or trapping the
animal.
b) Written approval from the landowner, which includes:
• Name, address, and phone number of landowner and per-
son removing wild animals
• Property location and removal activities
• Authorized time period of removal
• Species of animals authorized for removal
• Signature of the landowner or lessee and date

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: tlguy] #8076615
02/13/24 11:30 PM
02/13/24 11:30 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by tlguy
What am I missing here? Nuisance wildlife guidelines already allow year-round hunting and trapping by a landowner or an agent of the landowner for coyote, beaver, fox, RACCOON, woodchuck, rabbit and squirrel. The only trap size/type requirements apply to beaver trapping, not allowing steel jawed traps with a jaw spread less than 5 1/2" outside of the open mink/muskrat season.

Or are you more focused on year-round raccoon hunting on public land? Good luck, but I don't think that dog will hunt, so to speak. But, there's a bill going through the legislative process right now to extend the hound dog training season considerably, so who knows. Maybe get the bear hunter's association behind it if you want it to gain momentum.

your missing that you were the only person to bring that up and I just found it myself a short time ago tonight.

that is what every one of us who posted on this thread missed , so it was obviously very well written in plain language in the hunting and trapping regs , we have all been reading for years.

it was in a document that was a referenced in a document refenced in the the hunting regs.

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/13/24 11:31 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076622
02/13/24 11:43 PM
02/13/24 11:43 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
If they ask me this will be the re-write

Re-write after finding the https://p.widencdn.net/d9vt6g/nuswlguide
That finally clarifies land owner agent can use normal traps and shooting same as land owner

Extending Raccoon and Coyote seasons to have better effect for nesting game birds and nuisance management.

studies are showing that late winter and early spring removal of nest raiding predators benefits nesting birds. Fur prices are at or near record lows , there is little incentive to harvest raccoon at these prices and they are a significant nest predator. Coyote Hunting season is already open year round state wide. Making Raccoon hunting season open year round to match as well as extending trapping of Raccoon and Coyote from Feb 15th till the end of beaver trapping season. this varies by zone
Zone A: Nov. 4, 2023 – April 30, 2024
Zone B: Nov. 4, 2023 – April 30, 2024
Zone C: Nov. 4, 2023 – March 31, 2024
Zone D: Dec. 4, 2023 – March 15, 2024

Do you support extending the raccoon hunting season to year round to match coyote as well as extending trapping of raccoon and coyote to match the last day of beaver trapping season each year?

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076644
02/14/24 12:09 AM
02/14/24 12:09 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Glad I could be of assistance. As a customer service representative for the DNR who gets tons of nuisance animal calls, those nuisance wildlife regs are second nature for me. I can see how that would be missed by not reading the nuisance wildlife regs and going solely off what's in the trapping regs.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076648
02/14/24 12:21 AM
02/14/24 12:21 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I wonder if you would get a lot less nuisance calls if it they didn't half print it in the hunting and trapping regs.

it almost seems like they intentionally leave that part out while spending a lot of ink explaining what under 18 year old can hunt and trap them on the family property.

if they printed the any agent of can hunt or trap nuisance animals with permission of the landowner they would clear up a lot of confusion.

like I pointed out in another post they start to say it then jump into by box traps

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076655
02/14/24 12:37 AM
02/14/24 12:37 AM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
If the resolution does not move forward, maybe, just maybe the discussion and the input can move to making the already existing options more visible, less wordy and less demanding in all the land owner written permission etc. etc. It would be intersting to find out if the large commercial firms doing ADC work in WI are following every point that is listed in that land owner? agent text.

Bryce

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076658
02/14/24 12:41 AM
02/14/24 12:41 AM
Green Bay, Wisconsin
tlguy Offline
trapper
tlguy  Offline
trapper

Green Bay, Wisconsin
If customer service had any influence in what was in the regulations, things would be much easier. Wildlife and fisheries seem to not care about the input we provide year after year after year. Or their tied by legislative/admin code language.

But most folks that call about nuisance wildlife don't have a fur shed full of traps and a gun rack full of solutions to their problems. I tell em they can trap or shoot them year round without a license, but they usually end up getting the list of nuisance trappers from the WTA website.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: bblwi] #8076660
02/14/24 12:44 AM
02/14/24 12:44 AM
Rock Springs, WI
Z
Zim Offline
trapper
Zim  Offline
trapper
Z

Rock Springs, WI
Originally Posted by bblwi
If the resolution does not move forward, maybe, just maybe the discussion and the input can move to making the already existing options more visible, less wordy and less demanding in all the land owner written permission etc. etc. It would be intersting to find out if the large commercial firms doing ADC work in WI are following every point that is listed in that land owner? agent text.

Bryce

Good point Bryce. Perhaps the WTA could suggest this. I believe we foot some of the cost for publishing the regulations.

Zim

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076667
02/14/24 01:01 AM
02/14/24 01:01 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Op's idea that coyotes are bad for nesting birds might be mistaken.
Many studies have been done looking at coyotes and finds that altho they do occasionally go after nesting birds and eggs they also go after skunks and raccoons too. The net effect of coyotes might be beneficial to nesting birds.
Look into mesopredators.

https://nri.tamu.edu/blog/2018/june...and-the-mesopredator-release-hypothesis/

Pheasants forever recommends leaving coyotes alone if you want to help Pheasant populations.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076676
02/14/24 01:19 AM
02/14/24 01:19 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
the permission thing isn't that hard , I had a worksheet similar to this when I first started trapping and was trying to get a bunch of properties.
if all they have to do is sign and date at the end of a short conversation it makes it a lot easier

Trapping & Hunting Permission

I

Hereby Give permission to Pete and J
123 Green Street , Green WI 608-555-1234. to hunt and or trap.

Open season
all open season species or select from list all that apply by circling
Deer Turkey Bear Coyote Fox Rabbit Squirrel Raccoon woodchuck hare beaver crow pigeon Skunk weasel ermine mink otter bobcat weasel opossum
unprotected species

Nuisance or during closed season
(select from list all that apply by circling)
Coyote Fox Rabbit Squirrel Raccoon woodchuck
Hare beaver crow pigeon ermine mink
Cow birds grackle redwing blackbird
European starling, English (House) sparrow, coturnix quail, chukar partridge, opossum, porcupine, skunk, weasel , hog
not named unprotected species.

Permission is extended from Date ___________________ to _____________________

Signature _____________________________________________________________

Date ___________________

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: Dirty D] #8076678
02/14/24 01:27 AM
02/14/24 01:27 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirty D
Op's idea that coyotes are bad for nesting birds might be mistaken.
Many studies have been done looking at coyotes and finds that altho they do occasionally go after nesting birds and eggs they also go after skunks and raccoons too. The net effect of coyotes might be beneficial to nesting birds.
Look into mesopredators.

https://nri.tamu.edu/blog/2018/june...and-the-mesopredator-release-hypothesis/

Pheasants forever recommends leaving coyotes alone if you want to help Pheasant populations.

The thought with Coyote is if they are open to hunt year round and I was mostly pointing that out as this isn't a big ask if we can have one species open year round why not another and while we are at it why not trap them longer as well.

I also wrote that part before finding the nuisance agent documentation.

I took open season year round as a coyote are not native to WI give them heck.
If your giving them heck with a rifle or shotgun , a trap is often more effective.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076692
02/14/24 02:25 AM
02/14/24 02:25 AM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

If your giving them heck with a rifle or shotgun , a trap is often more effective.

I find the "not Native" argument weak. Many other "not native" animals are protected and have seasons on them. Such as Pheasants, Brown Trout, All Salmon in Lake Michigan,
Many native animals are gone and many not native ones are here, it has to be a case by case issue to decide which we are going to give heck and which we are going to appreciate and protect.
Things have changed alot since European settlement of this state.

Myself, I don't mess with coyotes, I don't think they are much of a detriment to deer populations but anything they do to negatively impact it is appreciated.
To me, deer are the worst pest out there. Your situation/experiences maybe be different, I'm OK with that, to each his own.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076744
02/14/24 08:03 AM
02/14/24 08:03 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
This was a study conducted by University of Minnesota- albeit dated, the population trend lines probably correlate closely to fur prices. Waterfowl undoubtably gets hit the hardest for nest predation with the raccoon targeting preferred forage areas. I support it but not sure the trappers that put the dents in this graph would.
"Regional harvest was highest from the 1970s through the late 1980s. Additional peaks in harvest occurred in the late 1990s, and early 2010s. These trends likely represent a mix of raccoon population dynamics, market demand, and trapping conditions." (UMN)
[Linked Image]

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: Dirty D] #8076778
02/14/24 09:35 AM
02/14/24 09:35 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Dirty D

I find the "not Native" argument weak. Many other "not native" animals are protected and have seasons on them. Such as Pheasants, Brown Trout, All Salmon in Lake Michigan,
Many native animals are gone and many not native ones are here, it has to be a case by case issue to decide which we are going to give heck and which we are going to appreciate and protect.
Things have changed alot since European settlement of this state.

Myself, I don't mess with coyotes, I don't think they are much of a detriment to deer populations but anything they do to negatively impact it is appreciated.
To me, deer are the worst pest out there. Your situation/experiences maybe be different, I'm OK with that, to each his own.

I am not really trying to make a strong argument for Coyote , it seems that was already done by someone at some point to get a year round season. I was just giving my read on the law.

the farm has has some issue with coyote coming in for Guinea hens and chickens

deer are the one thing the farm seldom sees in any quantity

I hunt part of Door county in the fall where yes Deer are seen as a definite annoyance and we shoot nearly every one we see during gun season. we have all the tags we could possibly fill and more , access is the issue , the same people that will gripe about deer eating everything all year , say no hunting them on their property.
so we shoot as many as we can but just for too much sanctuary they keep deer numbers higher than they would like.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: Eagleye] #8076790
02/14/24 09:51 AM
02/14/24 09:51 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Eagleye
This was a study conducted by University of Minnesota- albeit dated, the population trend lines probably correlate closely to fur prices. Waterfowl undoubtably gets hit the hardest for nest predation with the raccoon targeting preferred forage areas. I support it but not sure the trappers that put the dents in this graph would.
"Regional harvest was highest from the 1970s through the late 1980s. Additional peaks in harvest occurred in the late 1990s, and early 2010s. These trends likely represent a mix of raccoon population dynamics, market demand, and trapping conditions." (UMN)
[Linked Image]

you may recall you posted this graph a while back
https://p.widencdn.net/p60ogc/furharv

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7747566/re-graph-on-coon-fur-prices#Post7747566

that yes rather clearly shows price and harvest are very directly tied together

also where I took the >50 year low price from in my statement.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076824
02/14/24 10:46 AM
02/14/24 10:46 AM
Wisconsin
V
Voltron Offline
trapper
Voltron  Offline
trapper
V

Wisconsin
Dirty D - I agree with you about deer being a pest. If there wasn't a trophy aspect to deer, and if they didn't bring in big money for the state, they would be treated like coon or coyotes. The amount of property damage they do to fields, lawns, and vehicles adds up, but I guess that argument is for another time.

I also agree with Pete that the season should be extended, if not year-round. I get the landowner permission but it's just another hoop to jump through with the DNR/landowners. If not extended/open year-round, there at least should be an easier way to trap out of season. Something as simple as a verbal agreement between trapper and owner. Most out of season trapping I do is for friends and neighbors, getting into ADC might require more paperwork.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8076839
02/14/24 11:11 AM
02/14/24 11:11 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
[Linked Image]

you may recall you posted this graph a while back
https://p.widencdn.net/p60ogc/furharv

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7747566/re-graph-on-coon-fur-prices#Post7747566

that yes rather clearly shows price and harvest are very directly tied together

also where I took the >50 year low price from in my statement.

I remember building a spreadsheet with the fur harvest data and pricing- I never overlayed the nesting success rates but if anyone has access to it - it would be interesting to see the correlation.
[Linked Image]

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: Voltron] #8076842
02/14/24 11:13 AM
02/14/24 11:13 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Voltron
Dirty D - I agree with you about deer being a pest. If there wasn't a trophy aspect to deer, and if they didn't bring in big money for the state, they would be treated like coon or coyotes. The amount of property damage they do to fields, lawns, and vehicles adds up, but I guess that argument is for another time.

I also agree with Pete that the season should be extended, if not year-round. I get the landowner permission but it's just another hoop to jump through with the DNR/landowners. If not extended/open year-round, there at least should be an easier way to trap out of season. Something as simple as a verbal agreement between trapper and owner. Most out of season trapping I do is for friends and neighbors, getting into ADC might require more paperwork.

I called my warden about trapping at the county fair grounds a few years ago we had an issue in the poultry barn days before fair

he had me get a letter from the fair board that basically said just what is on that document , didn't tell me you can do this any time , just what to get in writing. so I didn't know it could be done any time without calling your warden to let them know as the document states no requirement to notify DNR.
That must have changed at some point or there was always miss information circulating I recall at tappers ed years ago the warden saying if you need to do ADC work call us and we can approve it.

maybe if you make a income doing ADC work it is different but I didn't see that in the document.

feel free to copy and paste that sample worksheet into your own word or google doc and adjust it as needed for your use
you can fill it out , have the land owner sign it and I use the app on my phone to take a picture of it that saves it as a PDF or toss it on the photo copier.

with the documents all on the phone in a folder it makes them easy to carry I used to keep paper copies in the tuck.

they accept your hunting license saved to your phone as a pdf , it is still in writing even if kept digitally.

it states no need to notify warden only must possess

All persons assisting a landowner (i.e., acting as an agent of a land-
owner) in the removal of animals causing damage must possess
the following in accordance with NR 12.10(3)(c):
a) A valid hunting or trapping license if shooting or trapping the
animal.
b) Written approval from the landowner, which includes:
• Name, address, and phone number of landowner and per-
son removing wild animals
• Property location and removal activities
• Authorized time period of removal
• Species of animals authorized for removal
• Signature of the landowner or lessee and date

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: Eagleye] #8076851
02/14/24 11:29 AM
02/14/24 11:29 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

I remember building a spreadsheet with the fur harvest data and pricing- I never overlayed the nesting success rates but if anyone has access to it - it would be interesting to see the correlation.
[Linked Image]

I almost wonder if unemployment data should be added to that graph it would explain why in 2011 harvest jumped while price was not high.
Dec 2010 is when I was surrounded by foreclosures in the matter of a month or two

it would also help explain the 2003-04 increases as well

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 02/14/24 11:33 AM.

Re: WI 2024 Spring hearing resolution [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8077051
02/14/24 05:46 PM
02/14/24 05:46 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was doing some more looking and the actual legislation behind NR12.10 has the details behind the DNR Nuisance Wildlife Guide.

https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/code/admin_code/nr/001/12

it looks like it may have been updated in 2017 and 2022 not sure exactly when or if it changed the need for permit or permission from the DNR but it does state it is not necessary for given species listed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread