No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER #8075358
02/12/24 01:25 PM
02/12/24 01:25 PM
Ohio
C
Computer Hater Offline OP
trapper
Computer Hater  Offline OP
trapper
C

Ohio
What is your opinion of our otter population in the state? Do you think it is increasing, steady, or decreasing?

The population where I trap has exploded. I've caught 10 so far this trapping season and probably missed at least that many more. Most of these were caught in foot traps while running my mink line. I caught one in early January that I finally could keep. I waited out the cold freeze and started to trap again about 10 days ago. I caught another one right away and contacted the game warden the next day to get it tagged. I checked traps on the way and missed one at the beginning of the line. I thought at the time, that I wished I would have caught it and I could have got it tagged at the same time instead of having to make another trip when I caught my third and last one that I could keep.

No worries, I caught two more that morning and had to release the last one. I think that in the eastern-southeastern part of the state the limit should be raised to 5 or 6. They are getting to be a real big nuisance around here.

3 or 4 years ago I had a complaint from a pond owner right before season came in. He said he for sure saw 6 and maybe up to 8 otters in his pond at the same time. I was skeptical until I scouted the area. There was more otter sign there than what I have seen anywhere. I enlisted the help of a friend since I could only take 3 by myself. We caught 5 otters in a couple days. I've had a few more pond owners call me in the last couple years that are seeing otters and fish remains around their pond.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts and or observations.

Thanks.

Randy
Member NTA, FTA
Re: OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER [Re: Computer Hater] #8075371
02/12/24 01:38 PM
02/12/24 01:38 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I think they're increasing. Seems like everyone on the Facebook group is catching them to the point that some wardens are out of tags.

Re: OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER [Re: Computer Hater] #8075461
02/12/24 03:32 PM
02/12/24 03:32 PM
Newark, Ohio 83 years
Actor Offline
trapper
Actor  Offline
trapper

Newark, Ohio 83 years
Sure not increasing where I am trapping in Licking County. That is the only critter that we can legally take I haven't trapped. I tried to find a place this year to trap beaver and otter, but all of the creeks I trapped several years ago were all dried up. Maybe next year, if I am still alive.

Even when I was trapping beaver in the east end of the county, I never saw any otter sign. No toilets, no tracks and no slides.

Garry-

“Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.”

Have been trapping 77 years…
Re: OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER [Re: Computer Hater] #8075465
02/12/24 03:37 PM
02/12/24 03:37 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
well to be fair. i dont recall seeing any spots in licking county that screamed for otter when I was there in 02-03. as of 2020 there were only 11 otter tagged in licking.

Re: OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER [Re: Computer Hater] #8075630
02/12/24 07:47 PM
02/12/24 07:47 PM
Ohio
D
Dan D Offline
trapper
Dan D  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
About like normal here Randy. Went down to the river yesterday. Saw one set of tracks on a sandbar. Still tryin to catch my first one. Not tryin real hard. Set 6 330s in blind pinch points. Caught 2 nice beaver this mornin.

On a side note, bobcats are showin up on peoples trail cams on a regular basis. I'd have much better luck tryin to catch one of those than I would an otter. Several pics of different cats on the one farm that I trap. We need a season. How many of those are stumbling in to your mink sets?

Re: OHIO TRAPPERS - OTTER [Re: Computer Hater] #8075713
02/12/24 09:10 PM
02/12/24 09:10 PM
Ohio
C
Computer Hater Offline OP
trapper
Computer Hater  Offline OP
trapper
C

Ohio
Dan,

I've caught 3 bobcats this year and probably missed 8 or 10 more. I've learned how to avoid them for the most part but occasionally they will just insist o being different and get caught.

The game warden rode my line with me last Wednesday and we had 3 bobcats run across the road in front of us. Mom and 2 kittens. Could hardly believe how small the kittens were. Had to have been a very late litter. Then Thursday I had a huge cat (tom) run across the road in front of me. Saw one earlier in the season also to make 5 that I have seen while running traps. They are everywhere here. Every deer hunter that has trailcams out tells me of having pictures of numerous cats. Some pics have 2 and 3 cats in the same pic.

Randy
Member NTA, FTA
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread