No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070774
02/06/24 09:32 PM
02/06/24 09:32 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
I'm down to coati. I hope to rectify that next November or December. They are not categorized as a furbearer in any state that I'm aware of but were included in Ontario's publication "Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America", so I included them on my list. When I toured the NAFA building in Toronto several years before they went belly up, there were plenty of black bears, mountain lions and red squirrels being offered for sale. They were also listed in Ontario's book, so I included them on my list.
I've shared a bit in the past, but I like typing the list, so here it goes.
Critters that I've caught so far: longtail, short tail and least weasels, wolverine, badger, fisher, marten, mink, otter, red fox, grey fox, kit fox, swift fox, arctic fox, coyote, wolf, muskrat, nutria, beaver, red squirrel, black bear, coon, possum, striped, eastern spotted, western spotted, hog nosed and hooded skunks, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat and ringtail. Ontario's book didn't break the spotted skunk into eastern and western, but I did it anyway. I took my list from the species in the table of contents that were legal to harvest by trapping methods. I need to get another longtail weasel for taxidermy purposes. That trip has been planned as well. I haven't mounted a coyote because I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a taxidermy bill for one of those. Everything else has already been mounted full body or is currently at the taxidermist with the exception of black bear. That first bear was trapped in Maine and was made into a rug. We didn't have the space or money to get a full body mount done those many years ago.
I've recently written a couple articles on some of my catches. If you read them, I hope you enjoy my scribbling. When I was working full time, I wrote a newspaper column on outdoor topics. I guess I missed writing after those 30 plus years.
Tight chains everyone.
Jim Palmer

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070786
02/06/24 09:43 PM
Pennsylvania
P
patrapperbuster Offline
trapper
patrapperbuster  Offline
trapper
P

Pennsylvania
In my state of PA it's the least weasel.
Set out a couple weasel boxes every year just for that reason.
lots of long tail weasels here though

Till that day.....
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: All33] #8070787
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by All33
I'm down to coati. I hope to rectify that next November or December. They are not categorized as a furbearer in any state that I'm aware of but were included in Ontario's publication "Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America", so I included them on my list. When I toured the NAFA building in Toronto several years before they went belly up, there were plenty of black bears, mountain lions and red squirrels being offered for sale. They were also listed in Ontario's book, so I included them on my list.
I've shared a bit in the past, but I like typing the list, so here it goes.
Critters that I've caught so far: longtail, short tail and least weasels, wolverine, badger, fisher, marten, mink, otter, red fox, grey fox, kit fox, swift fox, arctic fox, coyote, wolf, muskrat, nutria, beaver, red squirrel, black bear, coon, possum, striped, eastern spotted, western spotted, hog nosed and hooded skunks, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat and ringtail. Ontario's book didn't break the spotted skunk into eastern and western, but I did it anyway. I took my list from the species in the table of contents that were legal to harvest by trapping methods. I need to get another longtail weasel for taxidermy purposes. That trip has been planned as well. I haven't mounted a coyote because I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a taxidermy bill for one of those. Everything else has already been mounted full body or is currently at the taxidermist with the exception of black bear. That first bear was trapped in Maine and was made into a rug. We didn't have the space or money to get a full body mount done those many years ago.
I've recently written a couple articles on some of my catches. If you read them, I hope you enjoy my scribbling. When I was working full time, I wrote a newspaper column on outdoor topics. I guess I missed writing after those 30 plus years.
Tight chains everyone.
Jim Palmer

I would like to read your articles. Where were they published?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070789
02/06/24 09:45 PM
02/06/24 09:45 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
The only things I've not trapped that live in places I've lived are weasel (any of them) and spotted skunk.

Well, there are fisher and marten in NY and I've never caught them either, but there weren't any of those where I lived in NY at the time.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: walleyed] #8070793
02/06/24 09:47 PM
02/06/24 09:47 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
Originally Posted by walleyed
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Wolves? banger, marten, Grey fox

What the heck is a BANGER ? laugh

w

Come out with me on a Friday night and I will teach you. There is a local one that has dropped more boxers than Mike Tyson.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070795
02/06/24 09:49 PM
02/06/24 09:49 PM
East Texas
S
SLEDD Offline
trapper
SLEDD  Offline
trapper
S

East Texas
It's on my bucket list to trap a wolf. That's kinda hard for a Texas boy. There are folks in Canada who will allow someone to accompany them on their trap line. Ya gotta be willing to get off your wallet. Maybe someday.

Anything the governments gives you they must first take away from someone else.
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: yotetrapper30] #8070797
02/06/24 09:50 PM
02/06/24 09:50 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
Trappers Post and the Missouri Mountain Man. Out of the blue, one of the writers for American Trapper called me and wanted to do an interview. I decided after a day or so to go ahead and do the interview. If memory serves, there is a picture or two with some catches and taxidermy. Until recently, only friends knew about my goal. I don't have anything to sell or want likes on FB or. followers on You Tube. My goal is for me and thank God my wife understands.

Last edited by All33; 02/06/24 10:06 PM.
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070803
02/06/24 09:55 PM
02/06/24 09:55 PM
alabama
steeltraps Offline
trapper
steeltraps  Offline
trapper

alabama
Wolfs of Chernobyl! That would be some wild trapping ! Catching a wolf that glowed might be fun!!!

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: SLEDD] #8070829
02/06/24 10:23 PM
02/06/24 10:23 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
You really don't have to go to Canada and pay to tag along. We have Alaska, Idaho, Montana and to a lesser extent, Wyoming. It can be done if you plan and reach out to the right people. Hit the bobcats in Texas and put away the money for trips. That's how I did it with my local furbearers. It's taken me almost 50 years of trapping to get where I'm at. I'm not special, just goal orientated Set a goal and follow through to completion. I've had to take more than one trip for several of the species. It can be done.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070924
02/07/24 01:48 AM
02/07/24 01:48 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Thanks. I'll look through out Trapper's posts and see if I can find them.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: trappingthomas] #8070944
02/07/24 06:00 AM
02/07/24 06:00 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
the only thing in my state is a pine martin and I'm going north next dec.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: backroadsarcher] #8071030
02/07/24 09:49 AM
02/07/24 09:49 AM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
In Minnesota I have not caught a Pine Martin or Possum.

Same here. I think I've caught at least one of everything else.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? [Re: bucksnbears] #8074087
02/11/24 01:19 AM
02/11/24 01:19 AM
Vernal, Utah, USA
Dan Barnhurst Offline
trapper
Dan Barnhurst  Offline
trapper

Vernal, Utah, USA
I have caught all furbearers in Utah but kit fox. I guess I should put one on my bucket list.

Sneak the pan under his paw!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread