Home

What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet?

Posted By: trappingthomas

What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:16 PM

In your trapping neck of the woods? In my area I have yet to trap a coyote, weasel, otter, grey fox, or bob cat. (I think we are allowed one bob cat and two otter but they are rare) I have shot a bunch of yotes but never trapped one. Don't target reds anymore so just have not set for yotes in a while. Never aimed for bob cat, otter, nor weasels (though I have some boxes), Have however caught a badger in a fox set and there are not many round these parts. Also, not many beaver round here but caught some on nuisance calls.
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:19 PM

Spotted Skunk and Least Weasel
Posted By: kenny k

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:32 PM

Bobcats. Indiana may have a season in 2025...
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:45 PM

Anything that lives in the water

Fox

Would love to trap a bear , wolf , Wolverine
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:47 PM

Martin and wolf. No desire to trap a wolf.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:51 PM

I’ve caught everything Pa has to offer. Two kinds of weasels, mink, skunk, possum, coon, red and grey fox, coyotes, muskrats, bobcat, beaver, fisher, and otter.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:54 PM

I’ve gotten all the species in my neck of the woods. I consider myself fortunate.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/02/24 11:56 PM

In Minnesota I have not caught a Pine Martin or Possum.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:13 AM

My last one...gonna keep at it.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Tony1967

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:18 AM

In my state: marten, weasel and otter
Posted By: Keystonekiller

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:20 AM

Just need the cat in season an the otter in season to complete the tanned fur wall with all the pa species
Posted By: elsmasho82

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:21 AM

I’ve caught Possum, Skunk, Beaver, Muskrat, Mink and Raccoon.
Im pretty sure a Lycan was in one of my dirt hole sets once tho. Tore everything to pieces
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:32 AM

Caught: muskrat, mink, weasel, beaver, raccoon, fox (cross and silver), coyote, bobcat, cougar, skunk, badger, kit fox. Never caught a grey fox here in northern Utah.
Posted By: mole

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:46 AM

Possum
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:11 AM

🦨
Posted By: Slipknot

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:12 AM

Don't know what happened there but a.. Skunk
Posted By: ETexTrapper

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:22 AM

Mountain lion
Posted By: coyote 1

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:26 AM

Bobcat, martin, fisher and badger. I need to make a trip to the u.p to check 3 of those off the list.
Posted By: nate

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:30 AM

Would love to catch a weasel, the only one I've seen "here" was one my cat caught, she was playing with it , it was still alive so I got it from her and released it. She never had front claws.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by elsmasho82
I’ve caught Possum, Skunk, Beaver, Muskrat, Mink and Raccoon.
Im pretty sure a Lycan was in one of my dirt hole sets once tho. Tore everything to pieces

I need a Lycan too! ...and a Marten
Posted By: Trap Setter

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:40 AM

Pine marten (no season) badger (no season) wolf (no season) bear (no season) and glad I've not had to let any go. For species with a season I've not caught a weasel, a spotted skunk but very rare, or a blond coon. I feel like I'm missing something but can't think of it.

Caught a skunk, coon, grey fox, red fox, bobcat (no tag, so released) coyote, fisher, otter, beaver, muskrat, mink, possum, wood chuck, barn rat, and mouse. Feel like I'm missing something here too. Lol
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:41 AM

Wolf wish we had a season in WI. Caught my bobcat and fisher on the list this fall.
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:41 AM

Weasel
Posted By: 160user

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:47 AM

I will take this one step farther as this was a goal of mine for years. I have caught every legal species that lives in my area ON MY OWN PROPERTY. There were a few that I never dreamed I would catch here like Marten, Badger and Cross Fox. Actually, the Cross is the only one I have ever caught. Hopefully the Possum don't ever make it this far North.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by 160user
I will take this one step farther as this was a goal of mine for years. I have caught every legal species that lives in my area ON MY OWN PROPERTY. There were a few that I never dreamed I would catch here like Marten, Badger and Cross Fox. Actually, the Cross is the only one I have ever caught. Hopefully the Possum don't ever make it this far North.

Show off

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:57 AM

Show off

grin but no Lycan

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:02 AM

^^^^Right-o 330!!!!
Aroooooooo!!!!
Posted By: Brian Mongeau

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:04 AM

Caught everything in CT except a bobcat (no season), even poked a porcupine with a stick, I considered it a catch/kill.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:05 AM

I'm best at trapping wild wimmen.
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:17 AM

In my locale

red fox, gray fox, skunk, beaver or otter

I really have zero desire to catch foxes or a skunk
Posted By: la4wd54

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:21 AM

Mountain lion on my wish list
Posted By: Mediocre Trapper

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:35 AM

I have caught everything Wisconsin offers except grey fox

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:43 AM

^^^^Right-o 330!!!!
Aroooooooo!!!!

Someone must be having a bowl of "Loudmouth Soup" on a Friday night. smile

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 02:50 AM

^^^^Right-o 330!!!!
Aroooooooo!!!!

Someone must be having a bowl of "Loudmouth Soup" on a Friday night. smile

Lycans eat peoples not soups! Although they can be picky and don’t often prefer pickled specimens!
Posted By: corky

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:00 AM

wolf, waiting for another season
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:25 AM

Wait a minute…. Some of y’all actually set traps and catch critters?

Well I’ll be darned.

I thought half of y’all just got on here to bicker and complain.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:28 AM

^^^^Right-o 330!!!!
Aroooooooo!!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: waggler

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:32 AM

Lynx, least weasel, kit fox, grey fox, and bassariscus, badger. Trying to think of anything else.
I just thought of another one, arctic fox.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:35 AM

Have trapped everything in Wisconsin except Wolf and marten. Even porcupine!
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 03:42 AM

In my area wolf is the only animal we have a season for I haven't caught. One of these years I will head farther south in Idaho for badger, spotted skunk and red fox. It isn't a long way but farther than I have been able/willing to go. I am hoping for a fisher season.
Posted By: MikeTraps2

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 04:00 AM

Legal fur-bearers in the state I trap - Bobcat and grey fox

Wish list - Wolverines, Wolf, Marten, Fisher, Spotted Skunk, Hog Nosed Skunk, Ringtail, Lynx,
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 04:11 AM

I
Everything we have but gray fox and never seen a weasel except one the cats brought up .

Never snared rabbit or squirrel would be fun but are game animals so don't think it's legal. Figured predators would probably beat me to them anyway. Had a rabbit foot crow foot , and fox squirrel foot and hide in sets for example,

Don't want to catch a gray fox I have only seen one 3 times in my life. They would get a pass rather just not catch them.
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 04:12 AM

Otter
Posted By: charles

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 04:13 AM

Coyote.
Posted By: Scott__aR

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 06:07 AM

Gray fox.
Cougar, and marten aren't legal in the state.
Nutra and wolverine don't reside in the state.
Bobcat, fisher, and wolves I have to release.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 06:09 AM

Bobcat and Lion for me.
Posted By: waggler

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 07:24 AM

Maybe soneone should start a thread; "what furbearers have you trapped".
Posted By: TheYouthTrapper

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:35 PM

Otter, long tailed weasel, least weasel, coyote, badger, bobcat, grey fox (they say we have some), and marten which doesn't have a season so.
Posted By: Giant Sage

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 12:58 PM

Spotted skunk, and wolf.
Posted By: Guss

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:01 PM

Wolves bager,bear.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 01:19 PM

Wolves? banger, marten, Grey fox
Posted By: Coalcreekkid

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 07:08 PM

For me just wolves and lynx.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 07:43 PM

I don't consider MT lions fur bearers. So It's a wolverine for me.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 08:05 PM

In New York State, I still need to trap the
Least Weasel, American Marten, & Bobcat
in order to have taken every legal species
of fur bearer that inhabits the Empire State.

walleyed
Posted By: walleyed

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

What the heck is a BANGER ? laugh

w
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/03/24 11:20 PM

I have had the luck to trap all but one Michigan-legal furbearer..........a Least Weasel. I am jinxed with it. Have caught lots of Shorttail (Ermine) and a fair number of Longtail. The only Least I ever laid eyes on was a summer brown one my uncle's cat killed about 30 years (?) ago.
Posted By: Rick Johnson

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/04/24 02:39 AM

Haven’t caught a weasel here in ga. Not sure if there are any around.
Posted By: dixieland

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/04/24 03:02 AM

I don’t know what kind of Libtard state is the worst? One where you can’t trap 1/2 the critters in the woods, or one that dictates you can’t hunt on Sunday.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/04/24 03:06 AM

Probably at least a hundred or so, but I trap all I want to trap. If we have something else landowners paid for I’d trap that then too.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/04/24 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

w

is there a trapping school for that species Banger...sign me up
or does it require bar hopping Wisc style
Posted By: All33

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:32 AM

I'm down to coati. I hope to rectify that next November or December. They are not categorized as a furbearer in any state that I'm aware of but were included in Ontario's publication "Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America", so I included them on my list. When I toured the NAFA building in Toronto several years before they went belly up, there were plenty of black bears, mountain lions and red squirrels being offered for sale. They were also listed in Ontario's book, so I included them on my list.
I've shared a bit in the past, but I like typing the list, so here it goes.
Critters that I've caught so far: longtail, short tail and least weasels, wolverine, badger, fisher, marten, mink, otter, red fox, grey fox, kit fox, swift fox, arctic fox, coyote, wolf, muskrat, nutria, beaver, red squirrel, black bear, coon, possum, striped, eastern spotted, western spotted, hog nosed and hooded skunks, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat and ringtail. Ontario's book didn't break the spotted skunk into eastern and western, but I did it anyway. I took my list from the species in the table of contents that were legal to harvest by trapping methods. I need to get another longtail weasel for taxidermy purposes. That trip has been planned as well. I haven't mounted a coyote because I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a taxidermy bill for one of those. Everything else has already been mounted full body or is currently at the taxidermist with the exception of black bear. That first bear was trapped in Maine and was made into a rug. We didn't have the space or money to get a full body mount done those many years ago.
I've recently written a couple articles on some of my catches. If you read them, I hope you enjoy my scribbling. When I was working full time, I wrote a newspaper column on outdoor topics. I guess I missed writing after those 30 plus years.
Tight chains everyone.
Jim Palmer
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:43 AM

In my state of PA it's the least weasel.
Set out a couple weasel boxes every year just for that reason.
lots of long tail weasels here though
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by All33
I'm down to coati. I hope to rectify that next November or December. They are not categorized as a furbearer in any state that I'm aware of but were included in Ontario's publication "Wild Furbearer Management and Conservation in North America", so I included them on my list. When I toured the NAFA building in Toronto several years before they went belly up, there were plenty of black bears, mountain lions and red squirrels being offered for sale. They were also listed in Ontario's book, so I included them on my list.
I've shared a bit in the past, but I like typing the list, so here it goes.
Critters that I've caught so far: longtail, short tail and least weasels, wolverine, badger, fisher, marten, mink, otter, red fox, grey fox, kit fox, swift fox, arctic fox, coyote, wolf, muskrat, nutria, beaver, red squirrel, black bear, coon, possum, striped, eastern spotted, western spotted, hog nosed and hooded skunks, mountain lion, lynx, bobcat and ringtail. Ontario's book didn't break the spotted skunk into eastern and western, but I did it anyway. I took my list from the species in the table of contents that were legal to harvest by trapping methods. I need to get another longtail weasel for taxidermy purposes. That trip has been planned as well. I haven't mounted a coyote because I just can't seem to pull the trigger on a taxidermy bill for one of those. Everything else has already been mounted full body or is currently at the taxidermist with the exception of black bear. That first bear was trapped in Maine and was made into a rug. We didn't have the space or money to get a full body mount done those many years ago.
I've recently written a couple articles on some of my catches. If you read them, I hope you enjoy my scribbling. When I was working full time, I wrote a newspaper column on outdoor topics. I guess I missed writing after those 30 plus years.
Tight chains everyone.
Jim Palmer

I would like to read your articles. Where were they published?

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:45 AM

The only things I've not trapped that live in places I've lived are weasel (any of them) and spotted skunk.

Well, there are fisher and marten in NY and I've never caught them either, but there weren't any of those where I lived in NY at the time.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by walleyed

w

Come out with me on a Friday night and I will teach you. There is a local one that has dropped more boxers than Mike Tyson.
Posted By: SLEDD

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:49 AM

It's on my bucket list to trap a wolf. That's kinda hard for a Texas boy. There are folks in Canada who will allow someone to accompany them on their trap line. Ya gotta be willing to get off your wallet. Maybe someday.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:50 AM

Trappers Post and the Missouri Mountain Man. Out of the blue, one of the writers for American Trapper called me and wanted to do an interview. I decided after a day or so to go ahead and do the interview. If memory serves, there is a picture or two with some catches and taxidermy. Until recently, only friends knew about my goal. I don't have anything to sell or want likes on FB or. followers on You Tube. My goal is for me and thank God my wife understands.
Posted By: steeltraps

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:55 AM

Wolfs of Chernobyl! That would be some wild trapping ! Catching a wolf that glowed might be fun!!!

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 02:23 AM

You really don't have to go to Canada and pay to tag along. We have Alaska, Idaho, Montana and to a lesser extent, Wyoming. It can be done if you plan and reach out to the right people. Hit the bobcats in Texas and put away the money for trips. That's how I did it with my local furbearers. It's taken me almost 50 years of trapping to get where I'm at. I'm not special, just goal orientated Set a goal and follow through to completion. I've had to take more than one trip for several of the species. It can be done.

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 05:48 AM

Thanks. I'll look through out Trapper's posts and see if I can find them.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 10:00 AM

the only thing in my state is a pine martin and I'm going north next dec.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/07/24 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
In Minnesota I have not caught a Pine Martin or Possum.

Same here. I think I've caught at least one of everything else.
Posted By: Dan Barnhurst

Re: What Animal Have You NOT Trapped Yet? - 02/11/24 05:19 AM

I have caught all furbearers in Utah but kit fox. I guess I should put one on my bucket list.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums