No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
I'll take that as a sign #8073978
02/10/24 10:32 PM
02/10/24 10:32 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So a lot of times if I get interested in wanting to do something, if it frustrates me or makes me pull my hair out ....I then to want to do it more . Lotta stuff I do the easy or popular way just plain doesn't interest me. Not as satisfying I guess idk my shrink explained it all to me something about people with my level of whatever in the brain , hyper focusing, yadda yadda.well one thing lately has been predator hunting. Found out pretty quick crap isn't as easy where I live and on the property I have then most people due to a lot of reasons. Well I have a buddy mabye 20min away has great property all over the place have been predator hunting for the last 15 years and I know for a fact he could put me on some some fur easy..but man I really really really wanted to kill one fox or something by myself on the crap land I got before I went bugging him. Wel found some .17hmr FMJ's the other day and he'd been looking for some for a long time so picked them up for him. Called him up said hay I'll swing by and drop them off for you. Well I drop by drop them off have a lil dinner with him and the family we go out to the car and start chatting . Showed him. My 17-5.56 which he loved then he moved my foc pro then I spilled the beans on how I've been trying to predator hunt with not much luck but I really wanted to get one by myself before asking for his help.
He about choke on his cigar laughing said it sounded like some crap I'd do and tell me to go look at his freezer on the porch.. well I walk up crack the lid and
[Linked Image]

He's standing at the car smiling ad big as possible and trying not to laugh and just says " the top five where from the last stand I did , 20min , won't make you look at the rest laugh "

Proceeded to to tell me to take this as sign and let him take me on some good places in that way that's not asking but telling laugh so we made some plans and hopefully something will happen soon. Apparently I need to get blessed or something due saving a possum ( another story) though because he swears I got some bad juju on me because anytime we go out nothing he goes the next day killing and catching like crazy.

That being said I started talking to him about some of my stands and stuff that happens and apparently I've called some stuff in just count get them to break cover. That and apparently the fact I am getting to call in a hawk or some crows about Evey other stand is a really really good deal..also apparently I got a decent grasp on alot just missing a few things .So that encouraging. Did say he worried about my optimism... somthing about a horse stable full of crap and his be happy because I knew there was a horse in there or something laugh

Re: I'll take that as a sign [Re: Wolfdog91] #8074418
02/11/24 02:49 PM
02/11/24 02:49 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Everything learned is self taught for the most part.
I’m learning calling sequences now. It’s “working” but I think there may be a better way…just haven’t found it yet.
I’m trying to learn about the “where to” call or locations. That’s the difficult part for me, especially at night with thermal.
I know I HAVE to play the wind and do so “thinking” of where the predators will be. Well, “thinking” doesn’t always work out right, lol. The other night we thought they were towards the creek right near sundown. They weren’t, they were already in the cotton field across the road when they answered. Luckily we had an E/SE wind that put us still in the game. They came in at a run and we were able to drop one.
Next stand had our back to a cypress pond with a big mowed field next to a bottom out in front. Here’s a what the heck moment. While calling a bachelor group of bucks come in and bed about 100yds away. A coyote shows up about 300yds out and thought he was gonna commit. I swear it like he saw those bucks and said, Nope, not today. He never spooked, just continued on his way.
Next stand we have an oak grove to our west and a nice field to the creek north. Where do the coyotes show up??? Yep, due south about 250-300yds. Yeah, they smelled us. That way is wide open with pines scattered every so often. The growth is mainly broomsedge and Wiregrass with you normal stands of briers. This is a plantation so blocking has taken place so plenty of “trails” to access.
Just learning these jokers will travel anywhere and everywhere.

Now bobcats are some curious critters. You can scan a field and see nothing and reverse your scan and out of nowhere a bobcat will be sitting either looking at us or the caller, lol. While calling the other night I just had a feeling to look behind me and there sat a bobcat less than 40yds just looking at me.

Night hunting and thermal hunting is like everything else, figure out what works, and discard what doesn’t. With that said, what worked 3 nights ago, may not work tonight and vice versa.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread