Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Wolf Gland ? #8065583
01/31/24 09:53 PM
01/31/24 09:53 PM
minnesota
J
JAMIE-S. Offline OP
trapper
JAMIE-S.  Offline OP
trapper
J

minnesota
Should I just grind and age? If not what would I want to add? I am new to this gland preparing business. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Wolf Gland ? [Re: JAMIE-S.] #8065621
01/31/24 10:14 PM
01/31/24 10:14 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
A lot of people add different things to their glands, but IMO the most important is to add a good quality urine to your glands when aging. Most of the additives can and/or should be added at the end of the aging process, so you have time to study on what you want to add.

I'm no expert, in fact I'm a rank newby, but I caught a couple wolves this year on gland lure that I made. I actually screwed up, I added glycerin during the grinding process which greatly slowed the aging down. I've been using that "fresh" for a couple years, since I first made it without stopping it yet. It was slowed down greatly from the glycerin but is slowly aging. I'm thinking of stopping it soon since it seems to have good attraction to wolves and coyotes as it is now. Possibly may mix it with some more fully aged glands and see if that gets a desireable reaction.

Re: Wolf Gland ? [Re: JAMIE-S.] #8065624
01/31/24 10:18 PM
01/31/24 10:18 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
What are you guys using to grind your glands? I've tried the mini chopper and blender and been unsatisfied with the results on either frozen or thawed glands.

Thinking about trying a small or hand crank meat grinder with them frozen, I would think thawed they would gum it up and not go through well, just like the sinew and slimey fat does if you don't trim it off your meat.

Re: Wolf Gland ? [Re: bearcat2] #8065661
01/31/24 10:56 PM
01/31/24 10:56 PM
minnesota
J
JAMIE-S. Offline OP
trapper
JAMIE-S.  Offline OP
trapper
J

minnesota
Originally Posted by bearcat2
What are you guys using to grind your glands? I've tried the mini chopper and blender and been unsatisfied with the results on either frozen or thawed glands.

Thinking about trying a small or hand crank meat grinder with them frozen, I would think thawed they would gum it up and not go through well, just like the sinew and slimey fat does if you don't trim it off your meat.

I use the hand crank meat grinder. I do them partially frozen, this works good. Thank you for your comments.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91