No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ratchet wrench set #8062682
01/28/24 04:14 PM
01/28/24 04:14 PM
Central Oregon
AntiGov Offline OP
trapper
AntiGov  Offline OP
trapper

Central Oregon
Any opinions on a decent set ?

I'd like to have this milwaukee set , but too rich for my blood .

The second might work , not using them often

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Report a post club - Non member

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062688
01/28/24 04:18 PM
01/28/24 04:18 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I have sets of craftsman that have served me well. Like any brand they all have their limits.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062690
01/28/24 04:22 PM
01/28/24 04:22 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
Blackhawks are the ones I went with. Used to work in a shop we used them daily.

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062743
01/28/24 05:31 PM
01/28/24 05:31 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
I've never seen the point. I have ratchet sets and wrench sets. Why do I need ratchet wrench sets?

Eh...wot?

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: Lugnut] #8062752
01/28/24 05:37 PM
01/28/24 05:37 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline
trapper
MJM  Offline
trapper
M

ND
Originally Posted by Lugnut
I've never seen the point. I have ratchet sets and wrench sets. Why do I need ratchet wrench sets?

Because some times a ratchet and socket will not get on what you want to turn and if you can only get 1/4 a turn it is nice to have the ratchet wrench. Yes I know you can take a wrench off and put it back on.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062779
01/28/24 05:48 PM
01/28/24 05:48 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline
trapper
uplandpointer  Offline
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
If you're not using them often, Get them at Harbor Freight. That way you can buy every tool you need. I have a complete set of things I need in every vehicle and both side by sides for not much more than a set of those wrenches from Milwaukee

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062781
01/28/24 05:49 PM
01/28/24 05:49 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
They save time and money. I don't even remember the name on mine but the cost about as much as the 2nd set.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062784
01/28/24 05:53 PM
01/28/24 05:53 PM
Columbia, MO
D
Denny Russell Offline
trapper
Denny Russell  Offline
trapper
D

Columbia, MO
The Craftsman tools worked for a lot of years until I saw some were China made. I started gathering any name brand tools that were made in the USA. I have amassed a large amount of Proto,Snap-on, Williams, Bonney, S-K, Thorsen, Barcalo, Indestro,Vlcheck, Klein, Wizard (western Auto), Power-Kraft (Wards), Lectrolite, OTC, KD, Kraeuter, Herbrand, and others. These tools were made back when the tool companies were proud of the products they made. Unfortunately, many of these names have gone out of business or been bought out by companies that are now sourcing those tools from China and the like. I have bought all of these tools from flea markets, pawn shops, auctions, and yard sales. If I loose or break a tool, I can just get into my inventory for a replacement. No need to make a trip to town.

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: Denny Russell] #8062790
01/28/24 06:05 PM
01/28/24 06:05 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Denny Russell
The Craftsman tools worked for a lot of years until I saw some were China made. I started gathering any name brand tools that were made in the USA. I have amassed a large amount of Proto,Snap-on, Williams, Bonney, S-K, Thorsen, Barcalo, Indestro,Vlcheck, Klein, Wizard (western Auto), Power-Kraft (Wards), Lectrolite, OTC, KD, Kraeuter, Herbrand, and others. These tools were made back when the tool companies were proud of the products they made. Unfortunately, many of these names have gone out of business or been bought out by companies that are now sourcing those tools from China and the like. I have bought all of these tools from flea markets, pawn shops, auctions, and yard sales. If I loose or break a tool, I can just get into my inventory for a replacement. No need to make a trip to town.

X2

I'm glad 99.9% of the tools I bought years ago are USA manufactured and made well. I have Craftsman , Gearwrench and Snap-on ratchet wrenches.

[Linked Image]
I'm currently cleaning and reorganizing my tool boxes , this is what 100lbs plus of wrenches look like just dumped into one large drawer.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062792
01/28/24 06:08 PM
01/28/24 06:08 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
I use performance tool brand ratcheting wrenches. My local auto parts store has a lifetime warranty on them. I paid $60 for the set. I use mine all the time. Like them better than the combination wrenches or plain ratchets. But the long handle ratcheting wrenches get pricey fast such as Icon from harbor freight. I don't have the Milwaukee brand yet but I have watched YouTube videos that say Milwaukee brand is better than snap on . Yes, I know there's BS on the Internet.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062794
01/28/24 06:09 PM
01/28/24 06:09 PM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Also try a reversible ratcheting wrench set.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062796
01/28/24 06:11 PM
01/28/24 06:11 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Many of my tools are 50+ years old, and of mixed origin. I have lots of duplicate wrenches and sockets. If I need something I go to Harbor Freight. Their Pittsburg product line is OK and I think they warranty them.

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: Lugnut] #8062810
01/28/24 06:26 PM
01/28/24 06:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

the first one I had was on a Matco battery set
had the 2 most common sizes for side terminal batteries

it was very handy

there are times you can't easily get a socket on , like a long threaded rod that you need to put a nut on

very handy on certain brakes and in tight places where you can get a wrench on but you can only swing it a few degrees , speeds up being able to just swing it back and forth and not on and off 50 times

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062818
01/28/24 06:33 PM
01/28/24 06:33 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Tekton are nice they used to be Michigan Industrial tool
https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/ratcheting-wrenches

I have grearwrench for my ratcheting combo end wrenches , I had already bought them before I knew about Tekton
gear wrench are ok they work , you flip them over to change direction and they are only strait.

tekton has a good warranty decent prices and NO SKIPS I hate skips , it ends up being the wrench I need and it isn't a part of any set.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062826
01/28/24 06:48 PM
01/28/24 06:48 PM
S. Illinois
C
Chuckles84 Offline
trapper
Chuckles84  Offline
trapper
C

S. Illinois
This is my favorite set, just bought the add on set that added 21mm, 22mm, and 24mm. Pricey but the double flex is very handy to have. Now I rarely pick up my non flex ratcheting wrenches. But I am use them every day at work. For at home gearwrench would be worth a look.[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chuckles84; 01/28/24 06:48 PM.

Your entitled to oxygen. Everything else is earned.
Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062931
01/28/24 07:59 PM
01/28/24 07:59 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I've got a small set of the Harbor Freight ones. They can be handy at times, but the head on the ratchet wrenches is much larger than the head on a standard wrench, so many times that tight place that you want them for because a ratchet and socket won't fit? The ratchet wrench won't fit either. I bought them specifically because I was pulling a transmission on a Toyota with the 22RE (replacing clutch) and those top two bolts are a real pain (most of those rigs have been around long enough now that they have been worked on and they will only have one bolt, because most mechanics toss one and only put one back in when the reinstall) no room to get a socket on and you can get at most an 1/8 of a turn with a wrench. Got home with my fancy new ratchet wrenches and headed to the shop... the bigger heads on the ratchet wrench caused them not to fit either!

They are handy to have at times, but I don't use them enough to buy an expensive set, and there are Harbor Freights everywhere, so if you break a Pittsburgh one you can take it in and exchange it no questions. I've got a couple big sets of Craftsman tools, but there are no Sears around any more and no place to exchange them when they break. Snap on are a great tool and I have a few of them as well as a few S&K and other brands that are "lifetime warranty" but again, a real pain to exchange if/when you break them due to a lack of local dealers.

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: Lugnut] #8062941
01/28/24 08:08 PM
01/28/24 08:08 PM
Northern Illinois
B
Black dogs Offline
trapper
Black dogs  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Illinois

I’m sorry, but you must not wrench a lot. They definitely have their place in low profile places. I also believe to need straights and off sets to really git-r-done. Those Milwaukee ones are nice and take a beatin daily. Blue point makes a nice reasonable set too.

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: AntiGov] #8062950
01/28/24 08:17 PM
01/28/24 08:17 PM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I have these langs I believe they’re still made in the USA and mine work good I like that I can clean and oil the gear part directly unlike the gear wrench style that’s enclosed.

https://langtools.com/flat-wrenches/

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: bearcat2] #8062952
01/28/24 08:18 PM
01/28/24 08:18 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by MJM

Because some times a ratchet and socket will not get on what you want to turn and if you can only get 1/4 a turn it is nice to have the ratchet wrench. Yes I know you can take a wrench off and put it back on.

Originally Posted by bearcat2
I've got a small set of the Harbor Freight ones. They can be handy at times, but the head on the ratchet wrenches is much larger than the head on a standard wrench, so many times that tight place that you want them for because a ratchet and socket won't fit? The ratchet wrench won't fit either.

They are handy to have at times, but I don't use them enough to buy an expensive set.

The last difficult repair I ran into was replacing the lift pump on my Kubota L35. It was one of those situations MJM described where you could just barely get a combo wrench on and get at best a 1/4 turn. I was cursing the engineers that designed that bit of stupidity.

After spending about forty-five minutes getting the first nut off I called my the neighbor kid who is a diesel mechanic and he brought his metric ratchet wrench set over. Like bearcat said, it wouldn't fit. The recessed flanges on the lift pump were just big enough to get the closed end of a combo wrench on. No way to get a socket or a ratchet wrench on.

I'm sure there are times they might come in handy but not enough for me to buy a set. Especially when I could borrow the neighbors. grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Ratchet wrench set [Re: Lugnut] #8062967
01/28/24 08:36 PM
01/28/24 08:36 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin

The last difficult repair I ran into was replacing the lift pump on my Kubota L35. It was one of those situations MJM described where you could just barely get a combo wrench on and get at best a 1/4 turn. I was cursing the engineers that designed that bit of stupidity.

After spending about forty-five minutes getting the first nut off I called my the neighbor kid who is a diesel mechanic and he brought his metric ratchet wrench over. Like bearcat said, it wouldn't fit. the recessed flanges on the lift pump were just big enough to get the closed end of a combo wrench on. No way to get a socket or a ratchet wrench on.

I'm sure there are times they might come in handy but not enough for me to buy a set. Especially when I could borrow the neighbors. grin

I caught a sale on the gearwrench set at Farm and fleet 59 dollars
45 minutes to loosen one bolt when there are a bunch to do , time is money and have never regretted good tools that last and make my life easier.
would be a lot harder if I had to justify 590 dollars for a snap on set

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread