No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Poor sportsman ship #8062566
01/28/24 01:12 PM
01/28/24 01:12 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline OP
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline OP
trapper
P

Indiana
My boys are at a match. My youngest was practice with his team mates when 3 older kids came up to him and one punched him in the face twice. He got a busted lip and bruise and didn't retaliate. When I asked him why he didn't mess them up he said because they were bigger and 3 of them. I told him that no excuse and he should have taken them all on and messed them up bad and they wouldn't ever hang up on a smaller kid again. At the least you would have have at least one of them something to reflect on.

No adults saw it and when they found out who they were the other kids had a different story of course so nothing is being done. Turns out they are from the same team my boy beat one of their buddies last weekend so we think sore losers. Now I was at work and fit to be tied ready to leave make. The 2 hr drive and flat wear out the kids dads and coach. But my wife having seen that side of me before and the legal issue and cost involved from when I was younger managed to get me to stay at work long enough I cooled down about it.

Now I'm not proud of it I became the man I never wanted to be again in an instant. It scares me how quickly I reverted after all these years. I also became one of the unsportman parents I dispise . I told my boys not only to not hold back and worry about hurting the other kids but infact to try to hurt any kids from that team when that get the chance and if he wanted to plum him up in the parking lot to do so. Wow what came over me.

Well my boy got to wrestle the same kid he beat last week from said team and completely dominated him this time. Was over In less than 45sec and would have been half of that had he not take him down the first time out of bounds.

So it sure feels good to see the outcome of him smoking the kid from that team again.it fired him up for sure . It was also a good lesson on how people are for him and wake up call for me to watch myself. I would be ok if it was an expected fight but not a sucker punching 3 on one from bigger kids. Time for mutipal attackers defense
and put them in the ER fast lessons.

I am cool an calm but loose it when someone messed with kids, people weaker, and my family. This was all 3 in one.

Hopefully he can get matches with more of them. Maybe challenge the bigger kid wrestle up and smoke him in from of everyone also. But the brackets have been made so may not be able to do that.

The reason I was telling him not to hold back and be worried about hurting his opponent was because a kid he had a match with a few weeks ago an forfeited because he hit his head on that mat when my son slammed him down was there and they were talking. Turns out the kid did get a mild concussion.from it. And my boy will hold back not wanting to hurt anyone seriously. It's not in his nature to want to hurt people. He was checking on that kid worried he hurt him bad during that match. The boy has empathy.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/28/24 01:45 PM.
Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062575
01/28/24 01:26 PM
01/28/24 01:26 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not sure what to say here. Great job I guess.
I’m like you. When my boys were younger I was never the parent that said don’t fight back or let them take the first punch. Nope, I told them to look them in the eyes and if they saw a threat, start swinging and don’t stop until an adult pulls you off. I’m teaching CJ the same thing. I don’t play victim well and my boys don’t either.
I’ve shown up at some boys houses before and calling out the Dad. Generally that ends anything that the school wouldn’t take care of. Heck, my older son showed up at his younger brothers class to end a bullying issue. The boy was supposed to be in his grade anyways, lol.
Got a few calls when they were in school and met with the school board once or twice. Every time it ended with results. And what’s even funnier, is both times with the school board it was my boy defending someone else and once with the school board being threatened with a lawsuit from the young man’s parents that my son defended.
Sometimes folks just need a good old fashion whooping to get their mind right.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062581
01/28/24 01:31 PM
01/28/24 01:31 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Well apparently he my youngest is done for the day won all 3 of his beginner class matches so won his class again and qualified for state now. He did loose his middle school match and fairly quickly. He was out classed in skill level for sure and had no counter to the moves his opponent had. It was a very good lesson an hopefully will make him want to work harder to learn. Winning every match is not a good thing to show they need improvement.

My 13 year old has his first match ever in the middle school calls in a bit because there was no one in the beginner class his age and weight to go against. I expect him to have a hard time with guys that have been at it for years so will see how he does. I'm happy he finally is getting a match

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062585
01/28/24 01:33 PM
01/28/24 01:33 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Teaching your kids to stand up for themselves is the right thing to do. YOU are in the right.

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062594
01/28/24 01:42 PM
01/28/24 01:42 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Not wrestling, but when I coached travel baseball, we’d scrimmage against 14yr olds…we were 12U.
I brought in a couple highschool pitchers to pitch batting practice with their coaches approval. A right handed and a leftie that could throw heat and junk.
First practice we had some boys in tears of just the thought of facing them. Our catcher had to get extra padding to even catch them so we brought in a catcher.
Why do this? We faced a 6ft 12yr old that was throwing in the 70’s and our boys couldn’t touch him.
By day 3-4 our boys were knocking the snot out of both pitchers. The guys pitching made their coach come to our practice and told him he needed to find a MLB pitcher to pitch to them so they could improve.
We faced the same team with the 6ft pitcher 3 weeks later and knocked him out of the game in the 3rd inning. The coach talked with us afterwards and asked how we got our boys to hit like that. I told him what we’d done after our first embarrassment and he even gave us some names of guys that would come out and help with our pitchers and fielding.
Playing up always hurts at first, but if you take that experience and see where you can improve, that next match/game will be totally different.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Wanna Be] #8062617
01/28/24 01:59 PM
01/28/24 01:59 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Not sure what to say here. Great job I guess.
I’m like you. When my boys were younger I was never the parent that said don’t fight back or let them take the first punch. Nope, I told them to look them in the eyes and if they saw a threat, start swinging and don’t stop until an adult pulls you off. I’m teaching CJ the same thing. I don’t play victim well and my boys don’t either.
I’ve shown up at some boys houses before and calling out the Dad. Generally that ends anything that the school wouldn’t take care of. Heck, my older son showed up at his younger brothers class to end a bullying issue. The boy was supposed to be in his grade anyways, lol.
Got a few calls when they were in school and met with the school board once or twice. Every time it ended with results. And what’s even funnier, is both times with the school board it was my boy defending someone else and once with the school board being threatened with a lawsuit from the young man’s parents that my son defended.
Sometimes folks just need a good old fashion whooping to get their mind right.

Yes before we start homeschooling my daughter she has a problem with a boy bullying her. My wife worked in the school. The issue was known to all staff. It happened again after all steps I could take had been taken and nothing again. So I told her next time to put him down her response was "I can't I will get in trouble". I couldn't change her mind any way I tried so finally I told her. Look yes you will be in trouble but only until I walk in the door at that point the principal will be the one having trouble. I will tell you what you may get in trouble at school but if I hear about you getting picked on again and you don't put the kid down you will be in trouble at home . Would you rather be in trouble at school or at home . The got through apparently because a few days later ont of the recess attendents call my wife over to tell her how my daughter had that boy down on the ground crying and I'm some kind of leg lock and he couldn't move. . she never got in trouble and the kid or any kid that went to that school never messed with her again. Many saw it and the word spread fast to those that didn't. The young man got his intro to a leg bar . It was hard for me not to point and laugh at him saying ha ha you for. Beat up by a girl but I contained myself.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062636
01/28/24 02:23 PM
01/28/24 02:23 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Online content
trapper
Nessmuck  Online Content
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Like George Foreman said... It’s not about how many times you get knocked down...it’s about how many times you get back up

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062637
01/28/24 02:26 PM
01/28/24 02:26 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Ahh, he did good. He's probably gonna wait to catch them 1 at a time, especially the one that did the punching and really work him over.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: hippie] #8062740
01/28/24 05:27 PM
01/28/24 05:27 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by hippie
Ahh, he did good. He's probably gonna wait to catch them 1 at a time, especially the one that did the punching and really work him over.

I'm inclined to drive him to his house and he can take care of the kid while I educate his dad if he has one. But that's just my short fuze and frustration talking from 10 16hr days in a roll with change from days to nights in there . Made it home 15hrs this week in the shift swap from days to nights. I won't encourage him to stomp him the next time he sees him and has the opportunity but I won't tell him not to either. I'm sure he will be at other events And could get caught alone in the restroom for example. Be ashamed if he ends up eating the mint. Heck he may like to see how 2 on one feels if both the boys decide to say hi. Turn about is only fare right!

Now see how I'm reverting back to my teens and early 20's and having a very poor Christian attitude and not acting like a God fearing and loving 43 year old father and husband. Honestly that above I sound like plain getto trash . I think I can use a.day off so I'm not working tomorrow. I really shouldn't be getting this worked up over this yet....

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062827
01/28/24 06:49 PM
01/28/24 06:49 PM
Pennsylvania
elsmasho82 Offline
trapper
elsmasho82  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
I understand your mixed feelings. No one wants to see their kid picked on or hurt. Unfortunately parents can’t play vigilante. I try to remember that vengeance belongs to God. But I still don’t believe in letting people s*it on you

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: hippie] #8062862
01/28/24 07:14 PM
01/28/24 07:14 PM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa

Backing away from three against one is just plain smart. There will be another time.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062870
01/28/24 07:20 PM
01/28/24 07:20 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
He should have broke ones nose all over his face . Should have nailed the first one before he saw it coming

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: trapdog1] #8062878
01/28/24 07:29 PM
01/28/24 07:29 PM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Originally Posted by trapdog1

Backing away from three against one is just plain smart. There will be another time.

Yep…especially with uneven odds and the absence of a referee. There is a time and place to serve seconds. I’d be sure to pick a time and place when the odds were more even and unleash the beast! And once it was over, I’d be sure to make it a point.

Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8062915
01/28/24 07:48 PM
01/28/24 07:48 PM
Missouri, USA
Pofarmer10 Offline
trapper
Pofarmer10  Offline
trapper

Missouri, USA
Who is the coward, a man who asks a challenge he know won't be accepted or a man who declines a challenge he knows he can win.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti
Re: Poor sportsman ship [Re: Providence Farm] #8063148
01/28/24 11:34 PM
01/28/24 11:34 PM
Indiana
P
trapper
trapper
P

Indiana
So I got more if the story now I'm home and woke my wife up to tell me but not much more.

My boy is good about helping others learn moves and was practicing with his team mates and a younger kid wanted in so they were working on moves with him. The kid says he thought my son was picking on the smaller kid and jumped on my son.

My son was heald down when the kid hit him is what really happened. 3 on one. .
Now the kid is a problem and a lying pos I know more than just because my son said so but because later he keep giving my son dirty looks so she stepped in the way. He keep giving her dirty look and she told him to keep his looks to himself. He ran to mommy and said to her my wife push or grabbed him and she came at my wife very mouthy threatening and wanting to go hands on. So he is dishonest and it's known. There is always two sides and I always hear both often truth is in the middle but with his bild action and lie there that my wife touched him everything else he said is discarded as a lie now.

Wife and I disagree and she gets mad but if my boy takes him to school next time he sees him I'm more than ok with that in fact I'm ok if both boys set him up and go two on one. . She disagrees.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread