No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8061801
01/27/24 02:34 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
When you have a wood supply; there ain't no shortage of ways to use it.

I heat my 3000 sq ft house, garage, and hot water with an outdoor boiler-No bugs bark or mess in the house. Only one fire required.

If i want to warm up by a wood stove, the wood fired sauna fits the bill perfectly.

I may have to take a look to see if I have any wood still on hand
[Linked Image]

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8061802
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
Is there a reason / requirement why wood boilers have to be outside? Could they be in a basement or in an attached and enclosed area similar to a garage just as easy?

Last edited by HayDay; 01/27/24 02:35 PM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8061960
01/27/24 06:38 PM
01/27/24 06:38 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
What type of temps are your woodstoves running at and how long is your burn time? I have a pellet stove on one end of the house and a coal at the other.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8061978
01/27/24 06:57 PM
01/27/24 06:57 PM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
My Boiler temp is set at 175. At 165 the damper opens and stays open until water reaches 175 again. I fill my stove twice a day a heaping wheelbarrow load 2x a day on a typical winter day. Yesterday with temps near 40 I burned one wheelbarrow full.

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8061997
01/27/24 07:19 PM
01/27/24 07:19 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
I've got a fan in the door on mine kicks on at 160 and off at 180.i can change the temp on the aquastat but leave it alone.the cooler the temps the more creosote buildup on the inside.i can fill mine once a day and get by in sub-zero temps. I've got a fairly new house and heat my hot water also.it takes more wood if you use alot of hot water then to heat the house in,showers washing machine dishwasher and so on. Mine is supposed to heat 5,000 Sq ft my house is roughly 3200 Sq ft.i wish I had a shed around mine to stay out of the elements when working on it or loading it.maybe some day.

Re: Heating a home [Re: HayDay] #8061999
01/27/24 07:21 PM
01/27/24 07:21 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by HayDay
Is there a reason / requirement why wood boilers have to be outside? Could they be in a basement or in an attached and enclosed area similar to a garage just as easy?

They make one model I know of that can be inside a building. I don't remember the details on what makes it different other than when you open the door it does something to keep the blower from coming on while your loading it and to keep it from fairing up when the air comes in when the door is opened.

I promise you wouldn't have a building long if mine was inside.

And for the temp it runs at mine has a small computer controll I set at the temp the blower kicked in when the water temp gets so low and off when It get to set temp.

A few years I set it at 180° to kick off and 10° differents so it came in at 170°.

This year it kicks off at 175° and on at 160°. I like the longer burn time with 15°

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062008
01/27/24 07:31 PM
01/27/24 07:31 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
If I was going to put a shed around mine it would be a metal versa shed from menards with sides all the way down.i think you would be ok with that.

Last edited by houndone; 01/28/24 08:29 AM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: houndone] #8062050
01/27/24 08:42 PM
01/27/24 08:42 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by houndone
If I was going to put a shed around mine it would be a metal versa shed from menards with sides all the way down.think you would be ok with that.

Have you seen the post of our member that had his catch his wood pile on fire and now keeps his wood 30' away.

I keep my wood to close .

No the way the flames come out of the door and up over a foot above the door at times I would not build a building around it. I planed on a lean to off to the side but with lots of clearance several feet at least 10 but after seeing his fire thread an not sure about that.

If it's not approved to be inside a structure there is a good reason. I thought it would be a good idea before I got my unit. Not now that I have used it 6 years. If you want to do that find a unit approved for it.

It's not like a indoor wood burner. I have my pile uncovered now out in the rain. I burn green pine and cherry when they fall with zero issue. I'm not out long enough to fill it to need to be under cover. Took a few years of having it to get my thinking and habits adjusted from indoor fireplace/wood stove needs.

The forced air input to the fire box is incredible.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/27/24 08:43 PM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062109
01/27/24 09:56 PM
01/27/24 09:56 PM
MN
S
Skin em Offline
trapper
Skin em  Offline
trapper
S

MN
We have dry wood for our boiler but use plenty of green at times seems to last better ,, We have lots of big white pines and burn plenty of that i would never burn inside my home these stoves are made for it , you dont need split fine aged hardwood

Re: Heating a home [Re: Providence Farm] #8062128
01/27/24 10:24 PM
01/27/24 10:24 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
If I was going to put a shed around mine it would be a metal versa shed from menards with sides all the way down.think you would be ok with that.

Have you seen the post of our member that had his catch his wood pile on fire and now keeps his wood 30' away.

I keep my wood to close .

No the way the flames come out of the door and up over a foot above the door at times I would not build a building around it. I planed on a lean to off to the side but with lots of clearance several feet at least 10 but after seeing his fire thread an not sure about that.

If it's not approved to be inside a structure there is a good reason. I thought it would be a good idea before I got my unit. Not now that I have used it 6 years. If you want to do that find a unit approved for it.

It's not like a indoor wood burner. I have my pile uncovered now out in the rain. I burn green pine and cherry when they fall with zero issue. I'm not out long enough to fill it to need to be under cover. Took a few years of having it to get my thinking and habits adjusted from indoor fireplace/wood stove needs.

The forced air input to the fire box is incredible.
Yes I seen his post he didn't have a shed he admits it was his fault,wood to close pex hose on top of the ground not sure what the issue was.its no different then a wood stove/furnace in the house you have to be aware of what your doing.ive had mine since 2002 and no fires.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062150
01/27/24 10:42 PM
01/27/24 10:42 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Well build a shed around it then when you get it. Seems like your mind is set on it. I had the same idea when I got mine until I used it a few years. Then I saw why they make one that is different and approved for indoor use.

It's a very bad idea to inclose one or put a roof.over it. but that just my .02. Based on my experience of having an outdoor unit about 6 years. Before that it was wood stoves and fire places inside for just shy of two decades. Outdoor.unit wins hands down

Besides burning all kinds of wood you normally would not heat with and very little splitting and cutting length much longer mine can take 47" long and had a 2'x2 door so if your willing to pick it up it will fit. Saves a lot of time and large pieces burn longer. it's also great for getting rid of dead things . Toss it in and its gone. No trip to the dead.pit or digging a hole when the ground Is frozen. Goats, chickens, cats, coon, coyote all just disappear like magic.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/27/24 10:46 PM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: 2poor] #8062163
01/27/24 11:01 PM
Custer SD
A
arcticotter Offline
trapper
arcticotter  Offline
trapper
A

Custer SD
Originally Posted by 2poor
My Boiler temp is set at 175. At 165 the damper opens and stays open until water reaches 175 again. I fill my stove twice a day a heaping wheelbarrow load 2x a day on a typical winter day. Yesterday with temps near 40 I burned one wheelbarrow full.

That’s pretty much the exact same thing that I do

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062164
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
I have wood stoves, but I think a corn/grain stove would be the ticket.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062176
01/27/24 11:20 PM
01/27/24 11:20 PM
Missouri
ol' dad Offline
trapper
ol' dad  Offline
trapper

Missouri
I have a Northstar heat and glo stove that will heat my 1800 square foot ranch home and keep it around 76 deg when it's zero outside. We are in a warm spell right now in the upper 30s so I let the fire go out. Need to do a quick chimney sweep. Our gas furnace is running at 74° and I feel cold. There is nothing like wood heat.

Those complaining about bark and bugs. If you happen to have a stave Mill nearby generally they will sell you the off fall pretty cheap. Ours will sell all you can stack in a truck bed for 25 bucks. It's already split and there's no bark on it. Solid white oak. I can burn it in my stove for 3 weeks and not have to scoop out ashes. My farm has 135 acres of red and white oak so I have no short supply but it's cheaper for me just to buy it from the stave mill.

White 17, how long will a stove full of birch last you? Are you filling it every few hours or can you get an overnight burn with it?

Ol dad

Re: Heating a home [Re: Providence Farm] #8062188
01/27/24 11:39 PM
01/27/24 11:39 PM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
Well build a shed around it then when you get it. Seems like your mind is set on it. I had the same idea when I got mine until I used it a few years. Then I saw why they make one that is different and approved for indoor use.

It's a very bad idea to inclose one or put a roof.over it. but that just my .02. Based on my experience of having an outdoor unit about 6 years. Before that it was wood stoves and fire places inside for just shy of two decades. Outdoor.unit wins hands down

Besides burning all kinds of wood you normally would not heat with and very little splitting and cutting length much longer mine can take 47" long and had a 2'x2 door so if your willing to pick it up it will fit. Saves a lot of time and large pieces burn longer. it's also great for getting rid of dead things . Toss it in and its gone. No trip to the dead.pit or digging a hole when the ground Is frozen. Goats, chickens, cats, coon, coyote all just disappear like magic.
ive had one since 2002 so it's not when I get it to build a shed.dry firewood burns more efficiently then wet.your entitled to your opinion. A metal shed is pretty hard to burn down compared to a wood structure.

Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062246
01/28/24 01:16 AM
01/28/24 01:16 AM
Sumner, Mo.
C
claycreech Offline
trapper
claycreech  Offline
trapper
C

Sumner, Mo.
I’ve had them all. I’m 58 and have had wood heat my whole life. Mom and Dad had indoor stove and fireplace. I had an outside forced air wood stove for 25 years. 2017-23 we had an inside stove. I loved it. The wife not so much lol. Very uneven heat throughout the house. Lots of cleanup. The aesthetics were cool, the meals she cooked on it were great, and backing up to it after coming in from outside was mighty nice. It was handy to hang wet gloves and such around it.
We lost that house in a fire last March. Fire not caused by the wood stove. We built new this past spring and summer. Put in a Heat Master outside wood boiler. Obviously I only have 3 months of experience with it, but I absolutely love it. The efficiency is incredible. There’s not a cool or a hot place in the entire house. The real nice aspect of the setup, and one that I’m sure not used to, is the thermostat! You can keep the temperature within a degree no matter the outside temperature. I’ve never had that luxury before lol.
Everyone’s situation is different. I own 80 acres of oak/hickory timber that surrounds my house. I’ve got enough wood here for my grandkids kids. I like cutting wood. That helps lol.

Re: Heating a home [Re: houndone] #8062283
01/28/24 05:18 AM
01/28/24 05:18 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

ive had one since 2002 so it's not when I get it to build a shed.dry firewood burns more efficiently then wet.your entitled to your opinion. A metal shed is pretty hard to burn down compared to a wood structure.

Well since you already know all about it then why did you bother asking? Reminds me of a city boy cousin of mine that has money. He ask a ton of gun and reloading questions and since he bought his farm farm and animals questions. I answer them with my experience and or why I think the answer is. Then he responded " well this guy on UTub. Says". He does it that way then calls with how to fix the problems that resulted from it. The same issues I told him were possible and likely to happen. The last time it was about live stock purchases. He didn't listen got a great deal with free delivery of over 100 mile on ,6 to ten calf's with in a short time many had died if not all. He called wanting to know what was wrong and how to save them. I responded what's the guy on U tube recommended ? I would go with that and hung up.

My issue is not he doesn't listen learning the hard way is best sometimes. My issue is how he responds defensive when my answer is not in line with what he heard on U tube. I think part of it Is he wants to feel smart like a real county boy because where he got the idea never comes up untill I give him my answer. So I'm assuming he wants me to think he has this great idea he came up with and what do I think.
Another time he started making reloading and gun smithing u tub videos always send me the link hey what do you think? . Now this guy doesn't know crap and it was a disaster waiting to happen. He made several videos on building AR's and could not get it to group. Finally another cousin that is a gun guy had him bring it up to his house and rang to troubleshoot it. Well turn out he didn't torque the barrel nut down. It was loose and why it would not group.

You asked about an idea I also had that same one at one time I answered. You don't like my response cool build it and I hope it works out well for you. Yes metal is harder to burn up than wood. Yes it really easy to get it hot and burn all the paint off of it costing time and money. I gave my thoughts and advice it could be what you paid for it or it could save you thousands. Either way does absolutely nothing to or for me. Other than wasting time typing an answer to a question out.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/28/24 05:47 AM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: Posco] #8062343
01/28/24 08:17 AM
01/28/24 08:17 AM
IL
H
houndone Offline
trapper
houndone  Offline
trapper
H

IL
Originally Posted by HayDay

Originally Posted by Posco
What type of temps are your woodstoves running at and how long is your burn time? I have a pellet stove on one end of the house and a coal at the other.

I didn't ask any questions these 2 guys did I was just answering there posts. When I said think that would work I wasn't asking a question. I was telling him I thought it would be ok to use a shed like that . I went back and edited it.

Last edited by houndone; 01/28/24 08:43 AM.
Re: Heating a home [Re: scheide] #8062406
01/28/24 09:39 AM
01/28/24 09:39 AM
Lake Mille Lacs , MN
2poor Offline
trapper
2poor  Offline
trapper

Lake Mille Lacs , MN
Here is a members stove inside an enclosure.

IMG_2435.jpeg

It’s a lazy man who can’t find his wife a second job !
Re: Heating a home [Re: snowy] #8062441
01/28/24 10:18 AM
01/28/24 10:18 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by snowy
I have wood stoves, but I think a corn/grain stove would be the ticket.

I had one but didn't work out well for me. Needed to shut down every day to clean the stirrer in the fire box. If not it would kick out a lot out un burnt corn. Englander was the brand I bought and their customer service sucked at best. They housed the stirrer motor inside the unit and would cook the reducer motors about once a month. I burn Corn is a great site for information on burning grain if is what a person wants to pursue it.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread