Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Lure and Bait Making Beginner #8060830
01/26/24 03:59 PM
01/26/24 03:59 PM
Tennessee
L
LucasDill13 Offline OP
trapper
LucasDill13  Offline OP
trapper
L

Tennessee
Ok so have been looking at making my own lure and bait, have purchased some videos and have been looking around threads on here. Here are some questions I have.
1. When processing Glands do you freeze them until you have enough before preserving?
2. Can you make your own scented oils?
3. All these ingredients are expensive how do you cut cost when trying to make these things?

And finally I'm a novice but this is a very intriguing subject, I have purchased many great lures over the years but I would love to use the animals to make my own and also hopefully make some more money due to the prices in fur thank you!

Re: Lure and Bait Making Beginner [Re: LucasDill13] #8061243
01/26/24 10:26 PM
01/26/24 10:26 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
you dont cut cost. ingredients are not all good, no matter the price.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Lure and Bait Making Beginner [Re: LucasDill13] #8061391
01/27/24 02:13 AM
01/27/24 02:13 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Quality ingredients are not expensive when they producing the results you're looking to achieve. There are no shortcuts to building a bait or lure. Testing, testing, testing; adding components that don't produce results is what becomes expensive. Making baits and lures is as much about finesse and the art as it is about the science.

Decide on developing one product at a time and follow the K.I.S.S. principle. Enjoy the journey, it is often a twisted road.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: Lure and Bait Making Beginner [Re: LucasDill13] #8061419
01/27/24 05:25 AM
01/27/24 05:25 AM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
1. Yes you can freeze glands & meats before they are processed.
2. Yes you can Tincture all kinds of odors. You can Sun Render oil from several types of fat like making fish oil etc.
3. Saving money? Baits can be made cheaply if you have a free source of meat. Most trappers do! Glands and Lures can be a little Tricky and more $ to make. Have fun learning!!!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91