No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: .44WCF] #8058915
01/24/24 10:35 AM
01/24/24 10:35 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by .44WCF
Originally Posted by Dirt
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

I’m sorry, but that is an incredibly ignorant statement. Look up the history of literacy rates in America.

Truth .44WCF

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Bear Tracker] #8058930
01/24/24 10:58 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Originally Posted by randall brannon
My wife is a retired Public School (English) Teacher and a Principal. She will be the first one to recommend keeping your child OUT of the Public school. All of our kids went to Private Christian schools..

I have to laugh at this opening statement, perhaps your wife was the problem then! In charge of a school, she recommends people not attend. That's so SAD it is not even funny.
Her school is good enough for others but not your own kids that's pathetic, as a leader of a school and children she should have been removed.

"Christian schools do NOT go for the indoctrination of our kids and Public schools are a racist indoctrinated failure. ]"
Christian schools do NOT go for indoctrination? Seriously, that statement is a bald-faced lie. Just because you agree with it does not mean it is not indoctrination. The one reason I disagree with the voucher system in WI is my money (tax dollars) should not be going to teach others corrupt religious views. Yes, I consider most religions corrupt, they are corrupted by man.

My initial thought would be to agree with your comments but in light of the post above yours I'm not sure I do. I'm sure you know a principal only has so much sway within the school and most of the policies and procedures come from the superintendent and the school board. So if her superiors were pushing an agenda she didn't want her kids exposed to, what could she really do? She should quit, is my first thought. But maybe that's wrong. Maybe she can implement a small sense of normalcy in school with lunatic policies. She may not be able to change the policies, but she may be able to determine what "punishments" kids receive for breaking those policies. For example a kid who is sent to the principal's office for calling a biological male he instead of she could be sentenced to an afternoon of ISS in the principal's office as opposed to out of school suspension or worse.

I don't know, it's a hard situation and one I'm glad I'm not in. If I was a principal of a school and the school board and super started implementing all kinds of woke policies I'd probably have to quit as I doubt could play nice enough to keep my job.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: DaveP] #8058931
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by DaveP
Fortunately, thanks to public education, parents now have the skills to teach their own children.

Dirt,
Since you are posting on the internet, I'd ASSUME you'd realize that the entire world is available, at your fingertips.
Lot of resources out there.

And as the late,great Norm MacDonald once commented;
" What do.you need to teach the 3rd grade?
A FOURTH grade education?"

Well, all my formal education was in public schools. I was taught how to read in elementary school. Reading is pretty low on the education scale. If I remember right, it is 1st through 3rd grade. However, I could teach my children, physics, chemistry, calculus, German, and other sciences. If you can read, you can pretty much teach and learn other unfamiliar subjects from the textbooks you purchase. However, TEACHING, in itself is a skill. It is one thing to have knowledge, it is another to transmit it to another. Like the teacher posted here earlier many people lacked the knowledge/skills to teach before public education. They probably did and many public school failures probably still do. My statement was sarcasm.

Last edited by Dirt; 01/24/24 11:52 AM. Reason: punctuation

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058934
01/24/24 11:04 AM
01/24/24 11:04 AM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
I was educated in a small rural public school then went on to college, I think no matter how you are educated it depends on the teachers and parents in the end, I have said before that schools should be paid for by property tax only so that local people have the say in what is being taught to the kids.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Bob_Iowa] #8058940
01/24/24 11:09 AM
01/24/24 11:09 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
I was educated in a small rural public school then went on to college, I think no matter how you are educated it depends on the teachers and parents in the end, I have said before that schools should be paid for by property tax only so that local people have the say in what is being taught to the kids.

There should be zero property taxes for any reason.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058952
01/24/24 11:21 AM
01/24/24 11:21 AM
North central Iowa
B
Bob_Iowa Offline
trapper
Bob_Iowa  Offline
trapper
B

North central Iowa
The reason I like property taxes paying for school and not state or federal money is then the education is controlled by the local community and no one is answering to the state or federal government.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8058972
01/24/24 11:39 AM
01/24/24 11:39 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
Taught and coached for over forty years, principals set the tone, run the school day to day. They are the hands on day yo day over watch of the classroom. While the board and superintendent set policy the principal runs the building. Principal has incredible impact and control.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059022
01/24/24 01:26 PM
01/24/24 01:26 PM
Hancock Co., Indiana
Kart29 Offline
trapper
Kart29  Offline
trapper

Hancock Co., Indiana
The Last people I would want my kids to learn social skills from are the typical public school kids their own age. I want my boots to learn to behave like well mannered adults - not immature, Ritalin filled hellions attending the public schools.

I have one soon who is very socially awkward and shy. His little brother is very outgoing and very popular with kids and adults alike. Both are homeschooled just the same.

Some off the most impressive young men I know are public school educated.

Last edited by Kart29; 01/24/24 01:27 PM.

What from Christ that soul can sever,
Bound by everlasting bands?
None shall take thee
From the Strength of Israel's hands.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Kart29] #8059030
01/24/24 01:37 PM
01/24/24 01:37 PM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
Originally Posted by Kart29
The Last people I would want my kids to learn social skills from are the typical public school kids their own age. I want my boots to learn to behave like well mannered adults - not immature, Ritalin filled hellions attending the public schools.

Yep . . and I hear a lot that 'they'll be in the real world someday and will have to learn to deal with those kind of people" . . yep, that's no doubt true but it will be when they are more mature and have a solid moral and ethical base due to controlling the influence they're getting when they're of the age where they're easily swayed

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059108
01/24/24 03:24 PM
01/24/24 03:24 PM
PA
H
hickoryridge Offline
trapper
hickoryridge  Offline
trapper
H

PA
this is a passage taken from a book called Expository Parenting:

"If a child spends 10,800 hours (minimum) in a public school, that’s how many hours they spend among their peers. Consider: 20-30 other children the same age in the same class, spending 7-8 hours per day with minimal supervision. Because let’s face it: a teacher cannot monitor everything happening all day with that many students.

Peer pressure is still a problem. In fact, the ramifications of peer pressure are exponentially worse today. Even if you have strict limits on your child’s exposure to internet or entertainment, there’s very little you can do about what they see and hear with friends. And in any given school, the majority of the students are sporting smartphones with social media and YouTube, at the very least.

Given this reality, please understand that children will talk to other children about what they’ve seen, what they believe, and who they ultimately trust. They will naturally talk about worldview (even if they don’t realize it), origins, sex, God, and all manner of topics.

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. (Proverbs 13:20)

Don’t misunderstand: your children are going to be exposed to all kinds of ideas. They will access the internet. They will have friends who are raised differently than them.

But if they spend those extra 10,800 hours with you as their primary influence, the impact will be quite different. The goal is not to hide them from the world, or to pretend these things doesn’t exist. The goal is to teach and expose at the proper time and in the proper manner.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1-2)

You have been given a very short window of time to raise your sons and daughters to adulthood. 18-20 years is shorter than you think. But that window of time can be stretched when they are home with you.

Make the most of childhood by being there. Be the primary influence on your children. Talk to them, disciple them, and be a wall between them and the world"

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Bear Tracker] #8059118
01/24/24 03:35 PM
01/24/24 03:35 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
Originally Posted by randall brannon
My wife is a retired Public School (English) Teacher and a Principal. She will be the first one to recommend keeping your child OUT of the Public school. All of our kids went to Private Christian schools..

I have to laugh at this opening statement, perhaps your wife was the problem then! In charge of a school, she recommends people not attend. That's so SAD it is not even funny.
Her school is good enough for others but not your own kids that's pathetic, as a leader of a school and children she should have been removed.

"Christian schools do NOT go for the indoctrination of our kids and Public schools are a racist indoctrinated failure. ]"
Christian schools do NOT go for indoctrination? Seriously, that statement is a bald-faced lie. Just because you agree with it does not mean it is not indoctrination. The one reason I disagree with the voucher system in WI is my money (tax dollars) should not be going to teach others corrupt religious views. Yes, I consider most religions corrupt, they are corrupted by man.

Obviously you have very limited intelligence and verbal understanding!!! REREAD!!! The Principal does NOT have the authority to change a grade but the SUPERINTENDENT DOES!!! If a child only shows up for classes a few times a semester and is failed yet the Parent can go above the Principals head to the Super and get him a passing grade show us all on here how that eas her being the problem!!! ALSO Einstein, when you have Gang Bangers going to High school to pimp out young girls you do NOT see that in a CHRISTIAN School. One thing is for sure your hatred of religion is loud and clear!!!

God please keep they 19 fallen UBB miners out of trouble up there.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: yotetrapper30] #8059127
01/24/24 03:48 PM
01/24/24 03:48 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa

[/quote]

My initial thought would be to agree with your comments but in light of the post above yours I'm not sure I do. I'm sure you know a principal only has so much sway within the school and most of the policies and procedures come from the superintendent and the school board. So if her superiors were pushing an agenda she didn't want her kids exposed to, what could she really do? She should quit, is my first thought. But maybe that's wrong. Maybe she can implement a small sense of normalcy in school with lunatic policies. She may not be able to change the policies, but she may be able to determine what "punishments" kids receive for breaking those policies. For example a kid who is sent to the principal's office for calling a biological male he instead of she could be sentenced to an afternoon of ISS in the principal's office as opposed to out of school suspension or worse.

I don't know, it's a hard situation and one I'm glad I'm not in. If I was a principal of a school and the school board and super started implementing all kinds of woke policies I'd probably have to quit as I doubt could play nice enough to keep my job.[/quote]
Yotetrapper, my wife took a retirement instead of watching parents get their way. She was also fed up with Gang Bangers using schools as a way to push drugs and pimp out little girls. Now I never said all Public schools were that bad but inner city Milwaukee DEFINITELY has some bad ones and if you have a Superintendent that only cares about statistics in Passing kids to get Funding then some people should get some more info before accusing other people and making themselves out to be a LIAR!!!

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059134
01/24/24 03:54 PM
01/24/24 03:54 PM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
I did no name calling but will delete my post. I'm done.

Last edited by Bear Tracker; 01/24/24 03:59 PM.
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059138
01/24/24 03:56 PM
01/24/24 03:56 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
People on both sides should also stop with the name-calling unless they are looking for an immediate vacation.

Mean As Nails
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Bear Tracker] #8059145
01/24/24 04:07 PM
01/24/24 04:07 PM
west virginia usa
R
randall brannon Offline
trapper
randall brannon  Offline
trapper
R

west virginia usa
I did no name calling but will delete my post. I'm done.

YOU accused my wife of being the problem!! THAT is name calling!! She retired over what she USED to love doing!! We took our kids out of Public school because what was happening!! ALSO Christian schools have never indoctrinated our kids!! They still refer to kids as boys and girls!!!

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: white17] #8059146
01/24/24 04:08 PM
01/24/24 04:08 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Originally Posted by white17
People on both sides should also stop with the name-calling unless they are looking for an immediate vacation.

It's 30 below. If it is someplace warm, I'll call you a name. smile

Who is John Galt?
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059152
01/24/24 04:12 PM
01/24/24 04:12 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
Lol

Heading too Belize tomorrow for 3 weeks fishing,,,,,,,it’s really tempting to say it like it is

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Dirt] #8059156
01/24/24 04:15 PM
01/24/24 04:15 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by white17

It's 30 below. If it is someplace warm, I'll call you a name. smile

It's warm at your place ))

Mean As Nails
Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: Nessmuck] #8059230
01/24/24 05:52 PM
01/24/24 05:52 PM
Chicken, Alaska
Chickenminer Offline
trapper
Chickenminer  Offline
trapper

Chicken, Alaska
We homeschooled both of our daughters until they went off to college. We live remote so there was no option other than move .... which wasn't an option!
Both daughters scored at the top with SAT stuff and managed to get gobs of scholarships. One now has a double masters and is teaching school. The other
has her PhD and is in wildfire science.
They are now in their mid 30's and cherish the freedom they had as kids growing up in the woods.

Re: Home Schooling ..... [Re: hickoryridge] #8059233
01/24/24 05:55 PM
01/24/24 05:55 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by hickoryridge
this is a passage taken from a book called Expository Parenting:

"If a child spends 10,800 hours (minimum) in a public school, that’s how many hours they spend among their peers. Consider: 20-30 other children the same age in the same class, spending 7-8 hours per day with minimal supervision. Because let’s face it: a teacher cannot monitor everything happening all day with that many students.

Peer pressure is still a problem. In fact, the ramifications of peer pressure are exponentially worse today. Even if you have strict limits on your child’s exposure to internet or entertainment, there’s very little you can do about what they see and hear with friends. And in any given school, the majority of the students are sporting smartphones with social media and YouTube, at the very least.

Given this reality, please understand that children will talk to other children about what they’ve seen, what they believe, and who they ultimately trust. They will naturally talk about worldview (even if they don’t realize it), origins, sex, God, and all manner of topics.

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm. (Proverbs 13:20)

Don’t misunderstand: your children are going to be exposed to all kinds of ideas. They will access the internet. They will have friends who are raised differently than them.

But if they spend those extra 10,800 hours with you as their primary influence, the impact will be quite different. The goal is not to hide them from the world, or to pretend these things doesn’t exist. The goal is to teach and expose at the proper time and in the proper manner.

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. (Psalm 1:1-2)

You have been given a very short window of time to raise your sons and daughters to adulthood. 18-20 years is shorter than you think. But that window of time can be stretched when they are home with you.

Make the most of childhood by being there. Be the primary influence on your children. Talk to them, disciple them, and be a wall between them and the world"

You said it very etiquette and clearly. Summed up my thoughts band feeling much more clearly than I could. I agree 100% thanks for your great post.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/24/24 05:55 PM.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread