No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
PA Bobcat and Fisher #8044694
01/09/24 03:47 PM
01/09/24 03:47 PM
York, PA
D
drenn Offline OP
trapper
drenn  Offline OP
trapper
D

York, PA
For all my PA trappers, it’s been a couple years since I’ve taken the time to lay some steel in the ground. I caught the itch again and all I can think about is taking a week off next year and going after bobcat and fisher. What are some of your guys’ do’s and don’ts when targeting bobcat and fisher in our great state? I’m looking for tips and tricks that PA guys are specifically doing. What are some of the things that you’re looking for when looking for location? What’s your recommendation on traps and your favorite sets? Any and all information is welcomed.

Re: PA Bobcat and Fisher [Re: drenn] #8044851
01/09/24 07:36 PM
01/09/24 07:36 PM
Pennsylvania
C
Claypool313 Offline
trapper
Claypool313  Offline
trapper
C

Pennsylvania
Can't help you on bobcats. My fishers the last couple years have been in fox targeted sets and blind. I guess that means not to overthink it. I know from tracks that there is a health population frequenting my property. My main goal was to keep traps functioning and wait for colder nights. Ill refer to advice someone on here gave on fishers. They are really good at finding food.

Re: PA Bobcat and Fisher [Re: drenn] #8044908
01/09/24 08:43 PM
01/09/24 08:43 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Prebait, it worked for bobcats for me three times but not fishers. We had no snow to see where they were is my excuse......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: PA Bobcat and Fisher [Re: drenn] #8044947
01/09/24 09:41 PM
01/09/24 09:41 PM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Central PA, God's Country
Big cubbies and splashy dirt holes. Fishers in Maine are practically trained on bait piles. We had pictures of bobcats and one fisher all fall up until their season started, and then I had two weeks of nothing but possums and coons and the occasional coyote. The cats and fisher disappeared from the area they had been pictured in all fall. First time in years that I targeted bobcat and did not get one. I think if I had pre-baited I might have had better luck. Really depends on whether or not you are trapping public or private land, and how many people you share the private land with. Anything that has visual appeal for cats and fishers can catch the eye of humans, too. And the noses of hunting dogs. Also, one thing I have had good luck with is both skunky lures/ skunk, and bobcat gland lure. Like heaps of it. That has brought in bobcats to my sets like crazy. Good luck

Re: PA Bobcat and Fisher [Re: drenn] #8045386
01/10/24 01:07 PM
01/10/24 01:07 PM
Adirondacks, NY
Fisher Man Offline
trapper
Fisher Man  Offline
trapper

Adirondacks, NY
The regs and methods between Pa. and NY are so different causing our trapping methods to be a lot different. In NY we take one ounce of pure skunk quill and mix it (out doors) with melted down unscented vaseline. Then let it soldify while cooling down.. Prebaiting is a good idea. In a dirt hole or box I would say beaver meat or venison scraps are best, however I had good luck this year with sardines. I like to hang an attractor nearby, that moves in the wind. I use turkey feathers.. The skunk lure is a must, but there are other good lures, such as "Gusto", lure from Night Owl lure , also Trapping today. com makes a good lure. Ground beaver castor works well as does a dab of fish oil,If using footholds be sure to add a swivel or two. I've had big males break the chain.Cable is even better. Stake the trap well or attach to a heavy drag..When you skin a fisher check the head and neck for porky quills and remove any. Unless you are selling to a taxidermist remove the claws on the carcass. skulls are saleable on the internet.. In NY bait on the ground must be covered or in dirt whole to avoid birds of prey.Be sure to check your state regs.Size traps is up to you. I like sleepy creek # 2 dbl long spring with swivels and a shock absorber in the chain. Good luck!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread