No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pastor stepped in it #8042600
01/07/24 12:00 PM
01/07/24 12:00 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
A little background, I have a wonderful pastor even if we occasionally butt heads. He's a born yankee, Atlanta raised catholic who came to Christ late in life. Not your typical s Southern Baptist pastor, hence the head butting.

So in Sunday School somehow he went on a tangent regarding protection of God and veered into concealed carry. While he is by no means an anti being a carrier himself he is somewhat of a Fudd. So he goes on about not trusting those not trained and why someone should be trained.

So from the baptist back row a hand is raised.

Pastor, so you're saying I got to go get training before I am allowed to exercise my 1st amendment right to speak or worship?

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042605
01/07/24 12:06 PM
01/07/24 12:06 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Lol
They do but,,,my now retired pastor is one of my 5 friends
Bad as east coast fighter pilot, that knows the Word.

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042649
01/07/24 01:09 PM
01/07/24 01:09 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
People should be trained. When they are kids, by their parents. Hopefully adults whe were not by parents are smart enough to get training.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042655
01/07/24 01:16 PM
01/07/24 01:16 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
The responsible thing is to seek out training and skill in all things.

Mandated? By whom?

I'll take my chances without outsiders in my business.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042658
01/07/24 01:23 PM
01/07/24 01:23 PM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Originally Posted by warrior
The responsible thing is to seek out training and skill in all things.

Mandated? By whom?

I'll take my chances without outsiders in my business.

Thought you said you was military?

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042659
01/07/24 01:26 PM
01/07/24 01:26 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Veteran, yes.

Had the same issue there, lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042726
01/07/24 02:51 PM
01/07/24 02:51 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Maybe, most on here i believe got firearms training at home at an early age from parents and other family members who hunted and shot regularly or took 4H gunsafety class

olden tyred
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: jeff karsten] #8042733
01/07/24 02:59 PM
01/07/24 02:59 PM
Missouri
W
WhiteTrash 88 Offline
trapper
WhiteTrash 88  Offline
trapper
W

Missouri
Good God Allmighty. What was that heethen a thinkin. He knows they ain’t no drinking, dancing, or training, to go on by them Southern Babtist’s. whistle

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042763
01/07/24 03:48 PM
01/07/24 03:48 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I loved my church and people there. But about a month ago sent the pastor a txt to remove me from the membership roster. I'm not much of one for the worst to be though of my kids when infact they have no idea what they said could be though of as negative.

It's the 2nd time something silimilar has happened. It cause drama I don't need so it gets removed from my life.

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042773
01/07/24 03:55 PM
01/07/24 03:55 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Honestly feel eveyone should have some basic training in firearms,past someone talking to to the range and showing them how to aim in a general direction and fire off rounds "just in case" or more then dad telling you to just put it behind the shoulder . Military grade training no . Collage degree of stuff no .But should be proficient in placing shots and know why your doing what your doing and if your concealed carrying stress testing should be somthign people should have to do imo. a lot of people who carry who really shouldn't be carrying

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: Wolfdog91] #8042782
01/07/24 04:04 PM
01/07/24 04:04 PM
East Central Mn.
U
uplandpointer Offline
trapper
uplandpointer  Offline
trapper
U

East Central Mn.
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Honestly feel eveyone should have some basic training in firearms,past someone talking to to the range and showing them how to aim in a general direction and fire off rounds "just in case" or more then dad telling you to just put it behind the shoulder . Military grade training no . Collage degree of stuff no .But should be proficient in placing shots and know why your doing what your doing and if your concealed carrying stress testing should be somthign people should have to do imo. a lot of people who carry who really shouldn't be carrying

I totally agree, I have been saying for years that everyone should have to take firearms training as a coarse in school. It does not mean you have to have guns or hunt, it can simply teach everyone how to act and be safe around guns.

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: Wolfdog91] #8042783
01/07/24 04:05 PM
01/07/24 04:05 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

"People should" is a common word use of the left. They know what's best after all. Like everything else it all sounds good on the surface untill mission cheep. Who decides, what happened when antics start geting in those positions like is happening now with the states game commissions.

Yep a lot of people are not what I would call safe or knowledgeable with guns, driving, ect.. but I don't care what your idea is your not going to use your idea and limit my right or tell me how to do things.

Go live in Canada and get a license for an airgun and no hand guns at all. Its the only smart thing to do. Baco knows best and what freedom is.

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042798
01/07/24 04:20 PM
01/07/24 04:20 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
What constitutes "training"?

Much like the recent "suggested medical treatment" that cost folks their jobs and social standing?

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: Providence Farm] #8042816
01/07/24 04:40 PM
01/07/24 04:40 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

"People should" is a common word use of the left. They know what's best after all. Like everything else it all sounds good on the surface untill mission cheep. Who decides, what happened when antics start geting in those positions like is happening now with the states game commissions.

Yep a lot of people are not what I would call safe or knowledgeable with guns, driving, ect.. but I don't care what your idea is your not going to use your idea and limit my right or tell me how to do things.

Go live in Canada and get a license for an airgun and no hand guns at all. Its the only smart thing to do. Baco knows best and what freedom is.

O just like how they constantly use the "do you really need a (insert firearm ) argument that you also constantly see in the fire arm community

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042842
01/07/24 05:10 PM
01/07/24 05:10 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
What constitutes "training"?

Much like the recent "suggested medical treatment" that cost folks their jobs and social standing?

Well I did explain a bit but but it like this . Something like a basic class going over the stats laws " hay you can't just shoot someone if their doing XYZ or you'll go to prison, you can legally do this , this is and actual machine gun this is an actual assault rifle this is not. The basics in how to care for a firearm. This is how you do a basic cleaning, basic safety, what a sight picture is, how to shoot properly,how to aim, some myth busting. And actually have it interesting and useful not some monotone opinionated fudd up there talking about how all you need is a 12ga and a 1911 or something. 8 hr clas make it something that people want to willing go to. Now don't have it where you can't buy a gun if you don't or something but definitely put it out there as " hay if your going to be a responsible gun owner you should really do this"

As far as hunting. I actually do feel like we should do a little bit of what the EU guys do where you have to go though a class , take both a written and field test . Make sure the person can identify their target, they can accurately hit the vital zone ,they know how to properly unload and load their weapon. How to get around obstacles with a firearm have a written test where you have to explain why wyou would or would not take a shot where you would shoot an animal and why , what are the proper bullets to use for XYZ.

As far as stuff like concealed carry , definitely a more advanced class that goes over pricing your firearm, your holster ,different scenarios someone who conceal carrys might encounter, show videos of people using concealed carry arms then have a test on them about what the person did right or wrong ,what could have happened what did happen, again a more stringent shooting test, possibly a shoot house , they have simulators now that are hyper realistic that are amazing training aids.. basic first aid on how to treat gun shot wounds.

Make people understand that this is a serious matter and way more then " o I have a gun who cares I'll be safe " or " well I have this just in case not like I need to practice or anything I'll just use it to scare somone"

The big thing though that makes me second guess all of this hard is #1 I don't feel this should be mandatory, but then how will you enforce it in a way that couldnt completely back fire on you. Because if you have to do this class to get a fire arm or a license then. That's gonna require a national registry or something kinda list and yeaaaah we know how that can go. #2 the culture ,we aren't living in the 50's anymore the culture is completely different which leads to a lot of problems ( hence why we can just walk around with mil spec select fire m4's like the Israelies or something, different culture just would not work for a large portion of America). Really feel we need to get people to understand or think in the means of " your an American you need to be a le to protect you and everyone around you regardless of race sex religion politics whatever, so go to these classes and do this for you your family and your community.
But then we also come to the problem where we can now have individuals who are semi proficient with and know how you use firearms more effectively that probably don't need them for a host of reasons so that's also a problem. Now one can argue instead of a drive by where three kids and a old lady get shot along with the guy they where after you have a instance where people who know what there doing will just shoot the one guy and be done with it with no collateral damage would be better which yes is a fair point. But at the same time we could end up with what the Mexican government is dealing with . So yeah
Idk it's a complicated issue that people want to make simple but really it's not

Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042865
01/07/24 05:29 PM
01/07/24 05:29 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
I agree wholeheartedly with you on the deadly seriousness of owning, much less carrying, firearms. It "should" be basic common sense that one has the required knowledge to safely handle anything dangerous from pocket knife to automobile. But we all know even in the best of worlds common sense ain't common.

So in the absence of sense do we really trust "they" to train?

Again, I'll takes my chances.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042879
01/07/24 05:41 PM
01/07/24 05:41 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
We have too many laws. Time to start repealing most of them. Forcing a class on someone does not give them the ability to think.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: danny clifton] #8042896
01/07/24 05:51 PM
01/07/24 05:51 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline OP
trapper
warrior  Offline OP
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by danny clifton
We have too many laws. Time to start repealing most of them. Forcing a class on someone does not give them the ability to think.

An entire generation of woke college educated idiots is proof of that.

[Linked Image]
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8042937
01/07/24 06:45 PM
01/07/24 06:45 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Wolfdog most states have required hunter education classes to buy a hunting license if your born alert a certain date. In Indiana people can get an apprenticeship license for 3 years before they have to take the class.

I went through it twice becuse of the game differences between my daughter and my boys. The 2nd class was better. They covered a ton of great info, fire arms carry, crossing fences, tree stand safely ect. Live fire arms shooting with .22 rifles, clays with shotguns and .22 pistol and revolver shooting.

It was a good class with a ton of info a lot of kids wouldn't get even from hunting families. BuT my boys didn't need the class and didn't miss a question. Knew all the answers when the game wardens asked to the point they would not call on them any more so other kids could answers

But not many kids get the education mine do at home.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 01/07/24 07:02 PM.
Re: Pastor stepped in it [Re: warrior] #8043009
01/07/24 07:32 PM
01/07/24 07:32 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I agree wholeheartedly with you on the deadly seriousness of owning, much less carrying, firearms. It "should" be basic common sense that one has the required knowledge to safely handle anything dangerous from pocket knife to automobile. But we all know even in the best of worlds common sense ain't common.

So in the absence of sense do we really trust "they" to train?

Again, I'll takes my chances.

Who is this they your referring to. There's tons of options you could go to for say a state wide program. I Mena you got them NRA arnt they supposed to have all the guys ready to train and all that jazz. Then there's tons of private places that offer everything from pistol to machine gun classes , heck local sheriff departments. I Mena lets look at what is viewed across the board as a good standard for firearms training and then just get people who fit that

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread