Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Tanned leather yellowing #8037798
01/01/24 11:25 PM
01/01/24 11:25 PM
Montana
N
Nighteye Offline OP
trapper
Nighteye  Offline OP
trapper
N

Montana
I'm very new to home tanning and over the last two years I've tried my best to follow the great advice on this site and also the trubond instructions. At this point I've tanned fox, coyote, and bobcats with trubond products and had results that I was happy with for wallhangers, however I've noticed the leather side on my furs is starting to yellow, they used to be nice and white but over the last couple years are yellowing to varying degrees, especially the bobcats. Is this ok or did I do something wrong in my process? The hair isn't slipping and there is no noticeable smell, just the discoloration.

Re: Tanned leather yellowing [Re: Nighteye] #8037845
01/02/24 03:34 AM
01/02/24 03:34 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Could be oxidation from chemical salts left in the leather after tanning.
Tanned furs can deteriorate over time if not looked after.
Never store tanned fur in damp areas,Any salts inadvertently left in the skin will attract moisture out of the air (hygroscopic) where humidity is high like in a basement in summer.
Good fur garments are kept in cold storage over the summer,but that is not necessary for a wall hanger,just make sure if you store them in a basement to run a de humidifier in summer.

Last edited by Boco; 01/02/24 03:38 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Tanned leather yellowing [Re: Boco] #8037890
01/02/24 08:06 AM
01/02/24 08:06 AM
Montana
N
Nighteye Offline OP
trapper
Nighteye  Offline OP
trapper
N

Montana
Thank you for the info! I do hang them in the basement where the humidity does occasionally get up there, generally it is around 55 percent. I will keep a closer eye on them to hopefully prevent any more deterioration.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread