No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035799
12/31/23 12:50 AM
12/31/23 12:50 AM
NWWA/AZ
Vinke Offline
trapper
Vinke  Offline
trapper

NWWA/AZ
Someday the market will be back
Glad you all can do this as a hobby

Slightly used Shoes 4 sale,,,,,,May special,,, Act Now... Free Sock with every purchase
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: ChadDaniel] #8035808
12/31/23 01:06 AM
12/31/23 01:06 AM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Originally Posted by ChadDaniel
[Linked Image]
My daughter has been going with me this year for the first time and has been having fun!!!

I like that hoodie!!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035813
12/31/23 01:27 AM
12/31/23 01:27 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The thing that bothers me for the future is this.

Fur trappers have a double incentive. One the financial reward to trap, and next the incentive to preserve the resource for future harvest. Only a fool would trap it all and kill the golden goose. So we have good management of furbearers.

ADC trapping on the other hand has only the financial reward and every incentive to catch them all. Here we have no management only removal.

That and the payer of ADC trapping comes to view the resource as a pest to be removed. Buyers of fur value the resource.

Not knocking ADC as I are one of those. It's just what I see from many of my urban clients who would kill them all if they could.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035823
12/31/23 01:45 AM
12/31/23 01:45 AM
Central Texas
C
Chancey Offline
trapper
Chancey  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
The little ones get a kick out of it. Even if its just small coons.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Resident Conspiracy Theorist
Accused Moron, Nazi, Low IQ, and Putin Fan Boy
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: claycreech] #8035835
12/31/23 02:12 AM
12/31/23 02:12 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by claycreech
It’s a tough sell to young folks.
We had a financial incentive when we started.
The long term poor fur market will hurt trappings future faster than anything.

I suspect you're right but boy, I sure don't understand it. The first 4-5 years I trapped I didn't even know of anywhere to sell my fur. I'd put them up ( in a way that would have netted me $0 if I DID know a furbuyer, lol), and then they sat there until the bugs ate them in the summer. But I didn't care. I trapped because I loved trapping. I'll admit that when I was young I was a bit of an outlaw and started trapping in about July. Which may have actually been legal since it was only on our own land. Selling fur never even entered my mind. It was all about catching fur. Which I suppose is why there's still a 3 year old bobcat pelt in the garage, lol.

Are kids that want to trap only for money really going to end up being lifelong trappers anyways? Or will they forget all about it when their adult paychecks start rolling in?

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: yotetrapper30] #8035840
12/31/23 02:30 AM
12/31/23 02:30 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30

I suspect you're right but boy, I sure don't understand it. The first 4-5 years I trapped I didn't even know of anywhere to sell my fur. I'd put them up ( in a way that would have netted me $0 if I DID know a furbuyer, lol), and then they sat there until the bugs ate them in the summer. But I didn't care. I trapped because I loved trapping. I'll admit that when I was young I was a bit of an outlaw and started trapping in about July. Which may have actually been legal since it was only on our own land. Selling fur never even entered my mind. It was all about catching fur. Which I suppose is why there's still a 3 year old bobcat pelt in the garage, lol.

Are kids that want to trap only for money really going to end up being lifelong trappers anyways? Or will they forget all about it when their adult paychecks start rolling in?

I agree with you Angela. When I started, I didn't give a hoot about the money aspect, I just enjoyed trapping and sharing what I did with my dad.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035849
12/31/23 03:28 AM
12/31/23 03:28 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
From someone from the young trapping community I can tell you honestly most of us really don't care about money. There's a big generational gap when it comes to the mentality behind the why of trapping for a large part.
Honestly a lot of people in my age group just do it because we think it's cool, we like doing it talking about it sharing pictures and stories, techniques ect. The money we can get is nice but for most of us it's generally not the reason vs alot of older people.
It slowly when I'm talking. To another 20 something yr old about how I'm happy spending stupid amount of time and material to catch a possum , most of the time it's a pretty mutual whatever of " lol that looks pretty fun heck yeah " older trappers who cam up doing it with a monetary incentive being partly the main driving factor...well.... Not so much.
I Mean we know theres no real market, we know we're not going to be able to buy a house or new truck or whatever ,heck most of us know we probably won't break even with our piddly little fur checks like back in the day but that's very rarely the point . Usually more then anything it's an excuse to do it.Honestly I feel relaying on the fur market and people wanting to make money to keep trapping alive and to get people in it is a pretty crappy thing to relay on because what gonna happen with a good majority of people when the money starts to dry up ? It's nothing more then a business and when you can make money no point is dealing with it ,defending it ect

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 12/31/23 03:31 AM.
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035860
12/31/23 06:32 AM
12/31/23 06:32 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Online content
trapper
Wright Brothers  Online Content
trapper
W

Pa
Plenty of elders around willing to help.
Posting for a friend lol.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035893
12/31/23 07:55 AM
12/31/23 07:55 AM
Port Jervis, NY
B
beachcomber13 Offline
trapper
beachcomber13  Offline
trapper
B

Port Jervis, NY
When I really think about it, I believe it was reading Fur, Fish and Game that got me interested in trapping. So, believe it or not, the interesting trapping stories and catch photos that are posted in this site are probably enough to at least spark an interest for the young and old..er.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: claycreech] #8035907
12/31/23 08:12 AM
12/31/23 08:12 AM

J
J Staton
Unregistered
J Staton
Unregistered
J

Agree somewhat. Financial incentive didn't get me started but it sure helped to keep me going. Sure wish it would go back to the days when a kid could catch their Christmas money.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035916
12/31/23 08:25 AM
12/31/23 08:25 AM
Illinois
D
DRF Offline
trapper
DRF  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
[Linked Image]
The grandson loves to go.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035938
12/31/23 08:49 AM
12/31/23 08:49 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Some Great points!

Especially Wolfdogs

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8035965
12/31/23 09:39 AM
12/31/23 09:39 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I’d say few people really make any real money they might recoup some money but a true profit most never recover if you take every trapper into account. Time, money for gas and supplies, the cost of a vehicle to get around , tires maintenance . Many might want to believe that’s not the case but it seldom is there are exceptions in a few cases.

Unless you’re buried in the current fashion or desired fur at the time breaking even is often the goal. Money could be made back in the 70s only because everything had a good value. A “low” price then is a better price than today even. LOL. Some paid trapping gigs might be the exception but then a lot has to do with skills more then fur prices.

I just bought $300 in supplies and I will drive 50 miles one way to trap cats at one of my places making multiple trip down and back spending hours hiking the river breaks doing it. If that was a paid job I’d quit but I do it for free. crazy

I catch a few cats I’m happy that’s what is all about. The old saying is often true “ I don’t trap for the money, the money allows me to trap”

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Yukon John] #8036005
12/31/23 10:21 AM
12/31/23 10:21 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Originally Posted by Yukon John

I like that hoodie!!

Oh yeah- Chad's girl is a sharp dresser!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8036038
12/31/23 10:50 AM
12/31/23 10:50 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Here,taking young people out on the trapline has a lot more to do with things other than just the trapping and fur.
It teaches them self sufficiency in the harsh realm of the northern bush in all seasons,especially winter,how to navigate thru miles of thick forrest without getting lost,how to recognize safe and unsafe conditions like ice travel,how to harvest for food as well as for fur for income to provide staples,in other words how to live comfortably in the bush in all conditions and seasons and how to provide what you need from the land.
It also teaches the responsibility to protect your land that you are responsible for managing the resources on to keep the land healthy and able to provide the necessities needed to live for weeks or even months at a time on the land.
Trapping has always been about money,not to swell your bank account but to be able to provide the things that make life easier on the land
In fact not too long ago fur was money,and was directly traded at the posts on the coast for goods like guns shells, flour sugar tea tools traps,saws axes and any number of things.
Value of fur always goes up and down,always has and always will.it never stopped the families from trapping their hunting lands and selling their fur to provide money for things that cannot be obtained directly from the land.
Many trapping families closer to the settled areas turned to guiding fishermen and hunters in the off season to supplement their trapping income when fur prices were low.Some took seasonal work on the railroads or construction but made sure they were laid off in October so they could trap and live on the land all winter.It is a way of life for many and is ingrained here passed down thru generations who have looked after their land in the intests of passing it down within the family

Last edited by Boco; 12/31/23 11:13 AM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8036051
12/31/23 11:02 AM
12/31/23 11:02 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline OP
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline OP
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
I was one of that lucky generation that got to experience 70s & early 80s fur boom. I was a teenager during most of that, but those fur prices (and the availability of local fur buyers) started the fire in me. It was a great time!

Didn't think I'd ever see those prices again, but along about 2010-2011 fur prices made another good jump. I made more money during those couple years than any year during the 70s/80s. But, it was because I was set up better and ran at it harder. NAFA fur checks well over $10,000 each both of those years, in addition to a good coyote and fox live market.

Today, due to living in an area where landowners are willing to pay for beaver control and predator removal, there is much more money to be made than at any time in my trapping history. But, for us old coons, age is catching up with us.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8036106
12/31/23 12:08 PM
12/31/23 12:08 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
A Now departed friend of mine used to say to me during a day our sportsmen's club was having it's twice yearly hunter /trapper ed event Itis up to us as adults to teach young kids to be responsible outdoors men and women And if we claim that we truly love any activity no matter what it is and do not make a real effort too pass it on then we are just phonies I have mentored a few trappers some young and others not so young f they expressed and interest It always ends up being a worth while experience because it opens the door to educating others about trapping

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Hondo0925] #8036317
12/31/23 04:33 PM
12/31/23 04:33 PM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Great shot Hondo0925 that little guy seems to be wondering if that cat is truly done or it it playing possum LOL

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8036318
12/31/23 04:37 PM
12/31/23 04:37 PM
Ohio
B
bleeohio Offline
trapper
bleeohio  Offline
trapper
B

Ohio
Back in the 70s i never made much money on my furs as i always traded for traps and supplies. But boy did i have fun.

Re: Lots of New Guys/Gals on T-man [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8036321
12/31/23 04:50 PM
12/31/23 04:50 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
So true about money, Young folks that start trapping these days are in for the love of it , thought that was gone. glad I was wrong about that.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread