No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8033610
12/28/23 09:09 PM
12/28/23 09:09 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
How many acres/how many trees?

Re: Timber Value [Re: jbyrd63] #8033625
12/28/23 09:17 PM
12/28/23 09:17 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by jbyrd63
That’s is true. Like buying any sight unseen. Just got off the phone with my buddy that has cut timber fir 50 years TODAY price red oak .65 cents board ft
White oak 1.50-2.00 BF

He recommended finding a logger to harvest it and sell to local mill on halves. Then you know what each tree was worth . Loggers that walk in and give you a flat price can low ball you . His recommendation

You can get lowballed any way you sale logs.....percentage or not. Its all a gamble to an extent.

Re: Timber Value [Re: jbyrd63] #8033630
12/28/23 09:19 PM
12/28/23 09:19 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Online content
trapper
white marlin  Online Content
trapper
W

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
He recommended finding a logger to harvest it and sell to local mill on halves. Then you know what each tree was worth . Loggers that walk in and give you a flat price can low ball you . His recommendation

ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE way for a landowner to sell timber!

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8033634
12/28/23 09:23 PM
12/28/23 09:23 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Round here loggers make an absolute mess out of properties. I hope they don't there!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Timber Value [Re: Yukon John] #8033639
12/28/23 09:26 PM
12/28/23 09:26 PM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Yukon John
Round here loggers make an absolute mess out of properties. I hope they don't there!

if you have a good contract and the professional knowledge (consulting forester) and teeth (performance bond) to enforce it, your risks are SIGNIFICANTLY lowered!!

Last edited by white marlin; 12/28/23 10:04 PM.
Re: Timber Value [Re: lumberjack391] #8033747
12/28/23 11:02 PM
12/28/23 11:02 PM
Ohio
D
Dans Offline
trapper
Dans  Offline
trapper
D

Ohio
We had a Consulting Forester selectively mark and estimate the number of board feet of lumber in each tree he marked. Listed the market value of each species and the total value of board feet for each species. Estimated a fair market value of the standing timber at $94,000. Sent a nine page contract specifying how we expected work to be done, the time frame, and the inventory sheet out to 15 logging companies. Allowed the loggers 3 weeks to inspect the woods if they wanted to do so. Received 10 bids back ranging for $110,000 to $145,000. They winning bid pays 20% when signing the contract and the balance before they move on the property.

We also specified in the contract how we wanted the woods, landings, trails and drives to be taken care of when they were done.

Do it right and you won't be crying later.

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8033870
12/29/23 02:01 AM
12/29/23 02:01 AM
Central PA, God's Country
PAlltheway Offline
trapper
PAlltheway  Offline
trapper

Central PA, God's Country
Originally Posted by Computer Hater
Anyone know how the timber market is currently doing? I am considering doing a selective cut on my property. I have a mixture of red and white oak, tulip poplar, maple, hickory, beech, cherry, and a few walnuts and elm. I got one bid so far with more coming. The bid averaged out to $152.00 a tree based on how many trees he said he would cut. I was told that the woods was last timbered in the late 1950s.

Thanks for any tips or advice.

I’m in the timber and land business. Like real estate, timber values are local and regional. Some areas grow certain species better than other areas. Here in PA timber markets are way down from two years ago, but a couple species are up slightly from where they were a few months ago, which is nice. Black walnut is almost always a high value species. Like any tree, quality and ease of extraction dictate what the buyers can afford to pay. Definitely solicit bids and make sure you have a written contract that spells out the terms and duties of the buyer.

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8033873
12/29/23 02:46 AM
12/29/23 02:46 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Offline
trapper
Wright Brothers  Offline
trapper
W

Pa
Still waiting for White Fir to spike. And waiting lol.

A consult may be even more important for the tree planter.
The right mix for the turf.
Trees are cute when little.

GLWH

Re: Timber Value [Re: run] #8033960
12/29/23 08:57 AM
12/29/23 08:57 AM
Pennsylvania
J
JJR Offline
trapper
JJR  Offline
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
New here. Been watching the timber/logging posts for a long time. Finally decided to chime in. White Marlin, why the hostility towards logging on percentage? Pretty much every logger I know who is independent cuts on percentages. Bought my Skidder 19 years ago this coming July. Other than the 12-13 DCNR timber jobs my cousin and I bought every job I’ve ever done has been on percentage. Haven’t had a problem with a landowner yet. Haven’t had to look for work in 17 years. All word of mouth. Only cut part time on weekends and holidays when prices are good. Just curious if you had a bad experience?

Re: Timber Value [Re: JJR] #8034187
12/29/23 01:38 PM
12/29/23 01:38 PM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted by JJR
New here. Been watching the timber/logging posts for a long time. Finally decided to chime in. White Marlin, why the hostility towards logging on percentage?

oh, I can see why loggers like the percentage deal...no real risk on their part. (and this isn't about bashing loggers).

I am talking about from the landowners' perspective/interests. signing up for this type of contract requires absolute/complete trust in the people doing the work and those paying for the product, with very little to zero recourse.

The landowner is trusting the logger to tell him how many mbf's he cut/sold, what the quality of the logs are, how much the logger was paid by the mill, etc. etc.

some mills have better markets for some products than others...should the landowner be penalized with a lower check because that particular mill's market isn't the best?

an imperfect analogy: how about you sign over the title to that used Tacoma you have. I know a guy who's looking to buy one. And when I sell it, I'll give you half of the money I get for it. After all, I'll have some money in this too (transporting the truck to new buyer, new title work, etc.). I think you'll be happy. well, no...once you sign the title over to me, you'll have no say in the sale price. how about it?

just some of the reasons...

and that's just on the timber SALE end. if you're talking about long term forest MANAGEMENT, that gets into a whole nother aspect ...

Last edited by white marlin; 12/29/23 02:47 PM.
Re: Timber Value [Re: JJR] #8034390
12/29/23 05:40 PM
12/29/23 05:40 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Originally Posted by JJR
New here. Been watching the timber/logging posts for a long time. Finally decided to chime in. White Marlin, why the hostility towards logging on percentage? Pretty much every logger I know who is independent cuts on percentages. Bought my Skidder 19 years ago this coming July. Other than the 12-13 DCNR timber jobs my cousin and I bought every job I’ve ever done has been on percentage. Haven’t had a problem with a landowner yet. Haven’t had to look for work in 17 years. All word of mouth. Only cut part time on weekends and holidays when prices are good. Just curious if you had a bad experience?

Scaled/graded logs for a company after I got out of forestry school. Some loggers would ask for blank log slips but was company policy to not give out blank slips. Some loggers would change the log slips to show more softwood vs. hardwood. Percentage was 33% on hemlock/white pine and 50% on hardwood logs. Not the best way to sell timber.

Re: Timber Value [Re: white marlin] #8034438
12/29/23 06:38 PM
12/29/23 06:38 PM
Ky
J
jbyrd63 Offline
trapper
jbyrd63  Offline
trapper
J

Ky
Originally Posted by white marlin
Originally Posted by JJR
New here. Been watching the timber/logging posts for a long time. Finally decided to chime in. White Marlin, why the hostility towards logging on percentage?

oh, I can see why loggers like the percentage deal...no real risk on their part. (and this isn't about bashing loggers).

I am talking about from the landowners' perspective/interests. signing up for this type of contract requires absolute/complete trust in the people doing the work and those paying for the product, with very little to zero recourse.

The landowner is trusting the logger to tell him how many mbf's he cut/sold, what the quality of the logs are, how much the logger was paid by the mill, etc. etc.

some mills have better markets for some products than others...should the landowner be penalized with a lower check because that particular mill's market isn't the best?

an imperfect analogy: how about you sign over the title to that used Tacoma you have. I know a guy who's looking to buy one. And when I sell it, I'll give you half of the money I get for it. After all, I'll have some money in this too (transporting the truck to new buyer, new title work, etc.). I think you'll be happy. well, no...once you sign the title over to me, you'll have no say in the sale price. how about it?

just some of the reasons...

and that's just on the timber SALE end. if you're talking about long term forest MANAGEMENT, that gets into a whole nother aspect ...

Your analogy is crazy !!! Sign it over.
You do know the timber guys will sell it where they get the best price. 50% means more for them if they sell it for the highest price. There is a "bill of sale" for each log sold that any mill worth a hoot will provide . How do you think they know how much to pay both parties.You ever follow behind a load of logs? You see that bar code stapled to the end of each one. Well around here anyway.

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034455
12/29/23 06:53 PM
12/29/23 06:53 PM
W
trapper
trapper
W

my analogy isn't perfect, but it's not THAT far off...you've given the logger the right to cut and haul your trees, with no idea what you just sold them for. (he'll let you know later)

once the tree is cut and gone, you don't get a "do-over" or a "no-sale".

wouldn't it be better to KNOW what you're selling and for what price BEFORE the tree is severed from its roots and gone?

Last edited by white marlin; 12/29/23 07:31 PM.
Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034503
12/29/23 07:54 PM
12/29/23 07:54 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
You can always have the buyers come out to the landing to quote a price,....... but you better have room to lay them out.

Re: Timber Value [Re: lumberjack391] #8034509
12/29/23 07:59 PM
12/29/23 07:59 PM
W
trapper
trapper
W

Originally Posted by lumberjack391
You can always have the buyers come out to the landing to quote a price,....... but you better have room to lay them out.

it's still [essentially] too late to "no sale" them; after they're at the landing.

if you've got buyers coming to the site anyway, how about they cruise the timber on the stump and submit their bids BEFORE they get a contract?

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034513
12/29/23 08:04 PM
12/29/23 08:04 PM
Pennsylvania
J
JJR Offline
trapper
JJR  Offline
trapper
J

Pennsylvania
Your 100 % correct about once the logs leave the yard. I sell all my logs based on what buyer has the best prices at the time. First I sort out all the veneer possibilities and Danzer Veneer from reach road in Williamsport has a buyer that comes to the landing and picks out what he wants. Some days it’s 20 logs, some days it’s 2. 100 dollars more for the log gives me 35 bucks and the landowner 65. When cutting hard maple if it’s not good enough for veneer. Leather stocking out of New York will buy a lot of the good stuff on the landing for baseball bats. 60 to 80 cents better than a prime log price. Wagner lumber, Dwight Lewis and Two rivers is who I sell most of my logs too. They bring a truck with them and buy all the logs off the landing. They write me a separate check and the landowner a separate check on the spot. Don’t have to worry about w9 or 1099 with the landowner. I have the landowner on-site everytime I sell. If they don’t like the price or scale they can refuse to sell it and we can have someone else come. All 3 of these companies will print out a sheet showing every log, every species, how many board feet per log, price per log and average. My Skidder hasn’t ran in 14 months right now because timber prices are half what they were a year or 2 ago.

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034528
12/29/23 08:21 PM
12/29/23 08:21 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
Most loggers are honest in their business dealings. A few are not. Down here it was once a common thing to pocket what they called a "stow load". This is where a load is hauled to a different mill and the landowner never knows about it. This isn't considered stealing, it just pays for equipment is their mentality.

Also, there have been cases of the loggers cutting a tract of their own timber at the same time that they are cutting yours. The mill will take their word for which tract it came from. Proving where a load came from later is extremely difficult.

Also, the loggers can sort poorly and put some higher value products on a lower value load and cost the landowner alot of money while theiy got an extra load out this week.

Or, a stand of timber can be high-graded and your future growth sold today for pennies on the dollar.

All these scenarios have happened. The first two are illegal, the second two are perfectly legal and happen every day.

Re: Timber Value [Re: white marlin] #8034547
12/29/23 08:38 PM
12/29/23 08:38 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Originally Posted by white marlin
Originally Posted by lumberjack391

it's still [essentially] too late to "no sale" them; after they're at the landing.

if you've got buyers coming to the site anyway, how about they cruise the timber on the stump and submit their bids BEFORE they get a contract?

My point was that the owner could get bids before they leave his property where any shady stuff could happen.Im not sure Im smelling what your stepping in? I dont care how a guy sells it, just saying that is an option.

Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034554
12/29/23 08:42 PM
12/29/23 08:42 PM
W
trapper
trapper
W

I understood your point, and I'm not insinuating anything...other than once they're cut, you don't have a realistic option to NOT sell them to someone.

if bids are received for standing timber, the landowner knows the amount BEFORE the trees hit the duff and the logs are gone. they can make a better decision on whether or not to go through with the sale.

Last edited by white marlin; 12/29/23 08:52 PM.
Re: Timber Value [Re: Computer Hater] #8034566
12/29/23 08:52 PM
12/29/23 08:52 PM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
I agree, there are many other things that can go wrong doing it that way. I always paid cash up front. The last job I did was basically a salvage operation and I didnt want to tie up a penny on it. So I offered the landowner a percentage deal. Didnt have many people look at the pile, and was rather happy with the price paid.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread