Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Feet on question #8028383
12/22/23 10:21 PM
12/22/23 10:21 PM
Colorado
S
saudert Offline OP
trapper
saudert  Offline OP
trapper
S

Colorado
I recently caught my first badger and want to get it tanned with the feet on. I already skinned it out and I am in the process of drying it now. My question is this: all the videos I have seen show them creating a slit in the front legs to help facilitate drying. I was able to skin it without creating this slit. Do I need to make the slit, or with enough Borax and dry climate can you dry the legs and feet without it slipping?

Re: Feet on question [Re: saudert] #8028621
12/23/23 09:23 AM
12/23/23 09:23 AM
The great cage state Colorado
M
Monster Toms Offline
trapper
Monster Toms  Offline
trapper
M

The great cage state Colorado
As long as it is fur in, and you skinned the toes down to the claw, you should not have a problem or even need borax.

Re: Feet on question [Re: saudert] #8028674
12/23/23 10:06 AM
12/23/23 10:06 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
MT is correct, if it’s fur out make a cut on back side of the legs ( the side towards the belly) from the pad maybe couple inches towards elbow, I turn toes inside out and put small cardboard tubes , in the slits to hold leg open,maybe a little borax in the armpit, depending on how long you wait to flip it, Boco starts em drying with legs hanging straight down, i think that helps the armpit to start drying, next day stand it up or they are a pain to store.

Last edited by newfox1; 01/06/24 09:37 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread