Home

Feet on question

Posted By: saudert

Feet on question - 12/23/23 02:21 AM

I recently caught my first badger and want to get it tanned with the feet on. I already skinned it out and I am in the process of drying it now. My question is this: all the videos I have seen show them creating a slit in the front legs to help facilitate drying. I was able to skin it without creating this slit. Do I need to make the slit, or with enough Borax and dry climate can you dry the legs and feet without it slipping?
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Feet on question - 12/23/23 01:23 PM

As long as it is fur in, and you skinned the toes down to the claw, you should not have a problem or even need borax.
Posted By: newfox1

Re: Feet on question - 12/23/23 02:06 PM

MT is correct, if it’s fur out make a cut on back side of the legs ( the side towards the belly) from the pad maybe couple inches towards elbow, I turn toes inside out and put small cardboard tubes , in the slits to hold leg open,maybe a little borax in the armpit, depending on how long you wait to flip it, Boco starts em drying with legs hanging straight down, i think that helps the armpit to start drying, next day stand it up or they are a pain to store.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums