No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hunters For Hunters Organizaton #8026163
12/20/23 06:19 PM
12/20/23 06:19 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
This is a watchdog organization dedicated to protecting the rights of hunters, landowners, and sportsmen in the state of MN.

Two nights ago, there was a meeting in the small town of Morrill, MN regarding the overpopulation of wolves in the state. There were around 300 sportsmen in attendance. Their goal is to open a season on the harvesting of wolves in the state. It was determined that the state has lost a lot of revenue from former deer hunters who have stopped purchasing licenses, particularly in the northern part of the state because of exceptionally low numbers of deer due to wolf predation. The group will use whatever legal means possible to lobby for a hunting and trapping season on wolves.

Governor Walz has said he would veto any bill allowing the taking of wolves in the state.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8026332
12/20/23 09:19 PM
12/20/23 09:19 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
It's getting off to a strong start. Dedicated bunch of guys pushing it. Very worthy goals. I hope a lot of the MN guys on here check it out. It is a group that is actually trying to do something for the sportsman in MN.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8026337
12/20/23 09:22 PM
12/20/23 09:22 PM
MN
160user Offline
trapper
160user  Offline
trapper

MN
I missed the meeting up here but most people that went left with a positive impression of what they are trying to accomplish.

I have nothing clever to put here.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8026643
12/21/23 01:08 AM
12/21/23 01:08 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
I'm going to support them

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8026653
12/21/23 01:44 AM
12/21/23 01:44 AM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
The first step is to get rid of Walz. Good luck with that. Then there's all those pesky Federal problems.

I have been counting deer since rifle season ended in mid Nov. I have seen 4 alive, and 3 road kills. Even if the wolf problem was solved tomorrow it's going to take a lot of years to get the numbers up. I'm currently cutting firewood on a 200 acre farm that doesn't have one track in the snow in the last week. I'm personally going to have a hard time buying a license and burning vacation days next year to look at squirrels.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027038
12/21/23 12:40 PM
12/21/23 12:40 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
A guy who works at Camp Ripley said there are several wolf packs there now. The deer numbers have declined dramatically in recent years.

Howling for Wolves have been running ads in the past week on TV. They claim that wolves MOVE the deer, not kill them.

The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never let the dumbest ones lead the pack.
Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027147
12/21/23 02:40 PM
12/21/23 02:40 PM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
Originally Posted by Trapper7
A guy who works at Camp Ripley said there are several wolf packs there now. The deer numbers have declined dramatically in recent years.

Howling for Wolves have been running ads in the past week on TV. They claim that wolves MOVE the deer, not kill them.

I hunt not far from the west fence. The deer anymbers are not declined, they are decimated.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: patfundine] #8027315
12/21/23 05:59 PM
12/21/23 05:59 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by patfundine

I hunt not far from the west fence. The deer anymbers are not declined, they are decimated.

I used to hunt the camp 40 years or so ago. It was unusual not to see 20 deer a day. Now, it's a good day if you see any, from what I've heard.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027358
12/21/23 06:32 PM
12/21/23 06:32 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
This is a watchdog organization dedicated to protecting the rights of hunters, landowners, and sportsmen in the state of MN.

they kind of repeat themselves, "hunters, landowners and sportsmen".
Aren't hunters and sportsmen essentially the same? Unless one thinks hunters aren't sportsmen.
Would make more sense to say just "hunters and landowners".

That aside a hunter and a landowner could have 2 very different opinions on wolves.
As a landowner I would want wolves cause there is too many deer, hunting usually does not keep the numbers in check as much as they should be to get the best environmental results.
I'm sure most farmers who grow crops or have orchards would be happy to have the deer herd cut in half or more. Landowners who are primarily concerned about timber or trees (x-mas trees) also would love to less deer.
As a hunter I'd want as many deer as possible no matter if the result was bad for the environment.

Its sad that everyone is thinking about themselves first instead of whats best for the environment.

Myself I can see and understand both sides of the argument.
I don't think the group is speaking for most landowners.
Don't know for sure tho.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027621
12/21/23 10:01 PM
12/21/23 10:01 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
I was told there were over 500 at that meeting. Regardless it was alot. I think there is at least 10 more meetings planned. I think the no.1 goal is to get the wolves taken off the endangered species list.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Dirty D] #8027644
12/21/23 10:17 PM
12/21/23 10:17 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Dirty D

Aren't hunters and sportsmen essentially the same? Unless one thinks hunters aren't sportsmen.

That aside a hunter and a landowner could have 2 very different opinions on wolves.
As a landowner I would want wolves cause there is too many deer, hunting usually does not keep the numbers in check as much as they should be to get the best environmental results.
I'm sure most farmers who grow crops or have orchards would be happy to have the deer herd cut in half or more. Landowners who are primarily concerned about timber or trees (x-mas trees) also would love to less deer.
As a hunter I'd want as many deer as possible no matter if the result was bad for the environment.

Its sad that everyone is thinking about themselves first instead of whats best for the environment.

Don't know for sure tho.

Well then They should issue more deer tags...Un huntable - Un Trappable anything ...Especially Wolves just breed kill and destroy - Everything Needs managed

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Dirty D] #8027929
12/22/23 10:58 AM
12/22/23 10:58 AM
MN
W
walleye101 Offline
trapper
walleye101  Offline
trapper
W

MN

Don't know for sure tho.

The term "landowners" paints with a broad brush. That could include cow/calf operations, crop farmers, forest management land, deer hunting land, a deer camp near public land, lake cabin, etc. Opinions on wolf management would vary considerably.

While it is good to see folks speaking out on the lack of any wolf management at all, I doubt this group will get much traction if they come off as simply advocating to kill them all so we can have more deer. What is needed is an actual management plan that sets reasonable population goals for wolves as well as deer and moose, active management to meet those goals, while utilizing the available harvestable surplus.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027950
12/22/23 11:37 AM
12/22/23 11:37 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota

Sure they do...until they catch up

NRA and NTA Life Member

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Dirty D] #8027960
12/22/23 11:50 AM
12/22/23 11:50 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes

Don't know for sure tho.

Sportsmen are hunters and sportsmen would also include trappers, fishermen, and others engaged in outdoor activities.
Landowners trying to raise livestock, particularly in the northern areas of our state are very concerned regarding the number of wolves. Some areas their pets have been killed by wolves. Some consider it dangerous for their small children to be playing in their yard without an adult present.
In areas farther south where there is an abundance of deer, additional tags are issued. That abundance of deer may change, as the growing wolf population is migrating further south.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8027962
12/22/23 11:52 AM
12/22/23 11:52 AM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline OP
trapper
Trapper7  Offline OP
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Walleye, nobody wants to kill all the wolves, but you are right. They need to be managed.

Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: walleye101] #8028046
12/22/23 01:56 PM
12/22/23 01:56 PM
east central WI
D
Dirty D Offline
trapper
Dirty D  Offline
trapper
D

east central WI
Originally Posted by walleye101

I doubt this group will get much traction if they come off as simply advocating to kill them all so we can have more deer. What is needed is an actual management plan that sets reasonable population goals for wolves as well as deer and moose, active management to meet those goals, while utilizing the available harvestable surplus.

Well put.
Trouble is with "reasonable population goals" part. Reasonable to who? deer hunters? farmers? naturalists? Insurance companies? Lots of opposite versions of "reasonable".

If there was no intervention from man wolves would continue to expand and eventually thin the over populated deer herd. The wolves and deer would reach a relative balance that would most likely tilt back and forth but not allow gross overpopulations of either one. That range of back and forth is where the deer and wolves should be maintained and harvest should not sway either one way out of line.

Bad things happen when any wild animal looses it fear of man. That goes for both wolves and deer.

Last edited by Dirty D; 12/22/23 01:57 PM.
Re: Hunters For Hunters Organizaton [Re: Trapper7] #8028054
12/22/23 02:27 PM
12/22/23 02:27 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
The previous Wolf seasons on Minn. had a very coservative quota set. The hunt and Trapping filled that quote fast and Everything went smooth ....those goals seemed small but even that was a start and Managing them was all that We wanted.

NRA and NTA Life Member

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread