No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8019960
12/13/23 04:38 PM
12/13/23 04:38 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
seems a shame we waste most of that corn putting it in a gas tank

if we didn't burn it we wouldn't have any shortage of it for human or animal feed

Corn mash still makes good feed in the feedlot. Corn fed beef.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8019973
12/13/23 05:02 PM
12/13/23 05:02 PM
MN
M
Mark K Offline
trapper
Mark K  Offline
trapper
M

MN
True Gary, but it is so rich that they have to use it sparingly.

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Mark K] #8019995
12/13/23 05:24 PM
12/13/23 05:24 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
For the most part I feel CRP benefits conservation more or wildlife more than it is detrimental to conservation. Yes farmers are tearing up tree and stone lines but those areas are very small when compared to the large expanses that most CRP blocks form. With predators hunting edge, a tree line between two fields is almost all edge instead of a large block of grass and other forbs where predation on nesting birds and other wildlife is much less as they are protected much more by the expanse. Same thing seen in a large rat marsh with lots of vegetation and water compared to narrow streams which are almost all edge for most predators.

Bryce

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8019998
12/13/23 05:35 PM
12/13/23 05:35 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
There are so many other grains that would be more beneficial for the soil and perennials that would produce far greater yields. Corn, in its most abundant state and supplied by seed producers looking to make a quick large buck, is a crop over used and unhealthy for the huge heard of livestock it supposedly feeds

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8019999
12/13/23 05:37 PM
12/13/23 05:37 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
I'm not a farmer but I've been seeing hedgerows, random clumps of trees in fields and other features getting wiped out and turned into field. Didn't really think you would get much more production out of those areas and it's taking away alot of habitat. My wife's side of the family operates a pretty big farm so I asked what's up with all the slash and burn, they said Wisconsin taxes changed and the rate increased on unfarmed "farm land".

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020003
12/13/23 05:40 PM
12/13/23 05:40 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
You see some groups that are doing the work and some you hear about but you seldom see what they improve in the way of habitat really. That might be more of a local thing in some places but why have large tracts of land not been purchased over the years to guarantee hunting access to more people. I think the lack of quality hunting access has cost us a lot of sportsmen over the years.

When I hunted in IL and IN some public type hunting areas were trampled down from the traffic with little to nothing to be found to hunt.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Gary Benson] #8020005
12/13/23 05:44 PM
12/13/23 05:44 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
seems a shame we waste most of that corn putting it in a gas tank

if we didn't burn it we wouldn't have any shortage of it for human or animal feed

Corn mash still makes good feed in the feedlot. Corn fed beef.

a friend of mine does 100% pasture raised beef no corn. he used to do corn
there is a marbling difference that you can see in one of his old steaks to one of his new steaks I was there the day he had his first batch of pasture only meat come back from the butcher about 8 years ago and cooked it up . I could see the difference but those steaks are very good better than anything I have gotten from a grocery store.

the only tool he uses most days besides when making hay or moving hay is an atv his girls ride out on the atv roll up the wire and move the previous wire to the next position

a bunch of step ins with a hot perimeter fence

the pastures go many years with out being reseeded , no tillage , no fertilizer

most of his fuel consumption is moving bales and making hay.

it would take putting up some fence but anything that grow corn well will grow pasture great.
anything you didn't want to fence could be cut for hay for winter.

imagine how much that would change the landscape pasture grass as far as the eye can see instead of corn fields in some stage

planting season and harvest season wouldn't be massive tractors & combines and working through the night , a steady flow of tractor trailers moving grain.

just go move a wire every day make sure the waterer is full

the same pasture mix feeds deer very well also.

shelter belts wouldn't be a thing of the past you want a little row of trees for the cattle to find some shade in.

think about how that could transform the conservation side also

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020046
12/13/23 06:48 PM
12/13/23 06:48 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Grass raised beef with no corn fattening tastes like green grass cow poop.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Gary Benson] #8020050
12/13/23 06:50 PM
12/13/23 06:50 PM
Smithsburg, MD
J.C. Offline
trapper
J.C.  Offline
trapper

Smithsburg, MD
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Grass raised beef with no corn fattening tastes like green grass cow poop.

That is honestly how they are supposed to taste. Cows were never supposed to ingest corn, their rumen isn't built for it. Hence they are naturally fattened by corn.

To a person ignorant of nature, his country stroll is a walk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art with their faces turned to the wall
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020291
12/13/23 10:45 PM
12/13/23 10:45 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Ag land in WI has been taxed at a low rate for decades. Recreational land is much higher. A tree line or stone fence line between two fields 30 foot wide and 1200 feet long is not taxed as recreational land. It is part of the ag land of the farm. Farmers are burying those to make larger fields to make their large and expensive equipment more efficient and also all rows along those edges yield less and they work to maximize yields also. Many farmers around our area sell off those woods to hunters and those hunters pay 3-7K per acre and also the taxes on the value which in many cases is many times far more than the ag land which sells for 5-12K.

If huge areas where put into managed grazing as some suggest the amount of wildlife supported by a grass based crop would be much less then is there in a diversified, corn, beans, wheat. alfalfa rotation like we have in most of our area. With miles of high tensile electric fence and grass the deer, turkeys, rabbits, squirrels etc. are much less. I have worked with several grazers that have noticed that change when they became mono crop with grass The other issue with grass is when it freezes it flattens right to the ground and provides little food and cover compared to legumes which freeze and stand up better or corn, bean and wheat fields that if no tilled or chisel plowed leave cover and food on the surface.
The main reason CRP was created was to take highly erodible or sensitive acres of crop land out of row crops. That is the major conservation emphasis for the program. Benefits for wildlife is secondary but with proper management within the rules can be good as well.

Bryce

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020303
12/13/23 10:55 PM
12/13/23 10:55 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
If i remember right the crp program's purpose was to conserve soil, not wildlife.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Dirt] #8020317
12/13/23 11:10 PM
12/13/23 11:10 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Originally Posted by Dirt
If i remember right the crp program's purpose was to conserve soil, not wildlife.

Wildlife benefitted from is was a perk.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Dirt] #8020341
12/13/23 11:46 PM
12/13/23 11:46 PM
Iowa
O
ou812 Offline
trapper
ou812  Offline
trapper
O

Iowa
Originally Posted by Dirt

Maybe that's what it was sold as but the glut of corn and 1.80 prices probably played a bigger role in the development. Remember Bob Dole said this was the last, best program proposal ever needed or something like that. The only thing that's happened is the outlay in program funds has gone up.

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020668
12/14/23 01:09 PM
12/14/23 01:09 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
During the Reagan presidency one of his cabinet members Earl Butz came up with the slogan Farm from fence row to fence row Meaning get big or get out It changed the thought process of many farmers And it is now that the farmers are suffering the losses that have come with that idea of how to farm Farmers went from being stewards of the land to CEO'S sitting in an office building in another state making decisions concerning farmland in other states The only thing that was important was profit And how the decision affected conservation and wildlife never even gets a mention during those meeting with the now argi/business people in control And every loses

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020678
12/14/23 01:29 PM
12/14/23 01:29 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Talked to rancher in NW SD that bragged about how CRP paid for a lot of his place when land prices were very low so the CRP payments back then paid off a lot of his land notes. Tough country very rural back then still is might of been pre REA days or not much after that.

Jerry Herbst
Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: w side rd 151] #8020700
12/14/23 02:00 PM
12/14/23 02:00 PM
MN
D
Donnersurvivor Offline OP
trapper
Donnersurvivor  Offline OP
trapper
D

MN
Originally Posted by w side rd 151
During the Reagan presidency one of his cabinet members Earl Butz came up with the slogan Farm from fence row to fence row Meaning get big or get out It changed the thought process of many farmers And it is now that the farmers are suffering the losses that have come with that idea of how to farm Farmers went from being stewards of the land to CEO'S sitting in an office building in another state making decisions concerning farmland in other states The only thing that was important was profit And how the decision affected conservation and wildlife never even gets a mention during those meeting with the now argi/business people in control And every loses

This is what we are seeing. Huge farms coming in and clear hundreds or thousands of acres of woods and making it tillible. At the same time we are paying people not to farm farm land. People from the metro buying a 40 and putting a house on it should not be getting CRP payments for not farming

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020715
12/14/23 02:23 PM
12/14/23 02:23 PM
PA
W
w side rd 151 Offline
trapper
w side rd 151  Offline
trapper
W

PA
You have a good point And also remember the big argi business is standing with their hand out waiting to collect off the various programs they can collect on One of the biggest farmer near me has been able to receive over a million dollars in government programs over the last 10 years Those that could use the help are not big enough to collect anything but small amounts And that is the flaw in the] whole stinking mess that the current farm bill is

Re: Conservation programs hurt Conservation? [Re: Donnersurvivor] #8020808
12/14/23 04:25 PM
12/14/23 04:25 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
CRP can be beneficial to many different species of wildlife. Native grasses rather than fescue and brome are the keys. As far as I know, CRP contracts still allow up to 10% of a field to be converted to food plots (I did this two years ago on the farm that I managed). It's easy to add this into the CRP contract. In production agriculture, money talks. Wildlife usually only becomes valuable when people pay to recreate on the land. I remember when I was a teenager in the 70's, I asked a farmer to trap on an 80 of timber and rough ground that he just purchased. This tract was in west central Illinois and was certainly not the norm for land use at that time. I was told "to get them all" as he had made too much money and was going to clear off the land because of taxes. Needless to say, that news was devastating. I think that was a watershed moment for me and I decided to pursue a career in the conservation field. I still get a pit in my stomach when I see land being cleared. When I was growing up, my dad was a fat cattle buyer and one of my degrees is in agriculture, so I get it. Landowners are the stewards of the land; I get that too. It all comes down to how much they value the wildlife that lives on that land.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread