Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: bleeohio] #8017333
12/10/23 04:50 PM
12/10/23 04:50 PM
Florida
S
SlowBro Offline OP
trapper
SlowBro  Offline OP
trapper
S

Florida
Originally Posted by bleeohio
I'd say at least 2-3 dozen mixed sizes. Your not gonna eat coyotes, fox probably and they are tougher to catch. So coon sized footholds and conibears will take rabbits, squirrels and most of the ordinary edible game. Traps are always working so better imo than relying on hunting. So many other factors though, location is the main one.

Thank you. 2-3 dozen, is that for a family or for one person?

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017353
12/10/23 05:04 PM
12/10/23 05:04 PM
KS
K
ks wolfer Offline
trapper
ks wolfer  Offline
trapper
K

KS
It may have been said already but all the deer I have accidentally snared were bloody inside and stressed to the max. I would have to be awful hungry to eat them. Snaring deer for survival is not on my radar.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017379
12/10/23 05:26 PM
12/10/23 05:26 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
If I was you I would learn how to make traps from available resources on the land.
Then you can have as many or as few as you need when you need them,and dont worry about theft loss etc,cause you just make another.
Modern stuff will be of limited value.
Skills that are tradeable are useful,skills like forging etc.
Basic tools like knives,axes needles and cooking pots are what you want.

Last edited by Boco; 12/10/23 05:27 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: Boco] #8017380
12/10/23 05:30 PM
12/10/23 05:30 PM
Florida
S
SlowBro Offline OP
trapper
SlowBro  Offline OP
trapper
S

Florida
Originally Posted by Boco
If I was you I would learn how to make traps from available resources on the land.

I have been learning that, and it's an interesting study. But experienced bushcrafters will tell you nothing you can put together in the field beats the effectiveness of factory-made traps.

https://survivalschool.us/the-realities-of-primitive-trapping/

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017397
12/10/23 05:50 PM
12/10/23 05:50 PM
Ohio
B
bleeohio Offline
trapper
bleeohio  Offline
trapper
B

Ohio
Well, i guess that depends on the size of your family. Like others have said, traps are just a part of the equation. Fishing gear, guns , ammo and one of my favorites is springer pellet guns. Pellets are cheap and can store forever and will take most small game. All kinds of hand tools cause gas don't grow on trees. One other thing, a plan. A plan of where to go, meet family or friends. Small camper maybe. I have said if the nukes start flying i hope one lands in my lap and i won't have to worry about it. lol

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017625
12/10/23 08:53 PM
12/10/23 08:53 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by SlowBro
Originally Posted by Boco

I have been learning that, and it's an interesting study. But experienced bushcrafters will tell you nothing you can put together in the field beats the effectiveness of factory-made traps.

https://survivalschool.us/the-realities-of-primitive-trapping/

Indians didnt start using steel traps until the late 1700's and lived fine for thousands of years with nets snares and deadfalls,all made from local resources.

Last edited by Boco; 12/10/23 08:54 PM.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017676
12/10/23 09:32 PM
12/10/23 09:32 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

10 trappers are gonna have 15 different answers to your broad question.
You're searching for info that isn't gonna be accurate.

And nobody will be able to give you an accurate number of traps that "they will need." Too many unknowns in that scenario.

Catch % varies based on critter populations, time of year, and weather.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017783
12/10/23 10:53 PM
12/10/23 10:53 PM
Beatrice, NE
L
loosegoose Offline
trapper
loosegoose  Offline
trapper
L

Beatrice, NE
Zero, most likely. When the apocalypse comes I probably won't have time to trap, nor will it be the most effective way to produce meat. Better than sitting around hunting, but not the most productive. I have a few friends, we'll wait until the mass die-offs are over, take over the field down the street, and raise some confiscated cows and pigs and chickens there.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017867
12/11/23 12:18 AM
12/11/23 12:18 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
I’m with boco on this one. If it all goes down, nature is always reliable for resources.

I once had an anti attack me saying that hunting the way Indians did it long ago was fine, but using guns was unfair. So I told her I would be happy to use organized drives for deer, nets and weirs for fish, fire hunts, big game snares, tearing apart beaver houses and spearing/hooking the beaver - and no guns.

The reason we call what we do “sporting pursuit” is that we LIMIT ourselves to seasons, methods, hunting hours, and bag limits and certain equipment. All of which give the animals a much better chance (“sporting chance”) of escaping. The other designations are “subsistence” and “market” hunting. These other methods are so efficient that without lower human population numbers or cultural controls on the harvest, the resources would quickly be depleted.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017880
12/11/23 12:37 AM
12/11/23 12:37 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline
trapper
N

Alberta
You can reuse snare parts. Buy as many feet of cable you can afford, along with 2 crimping tools and various ferrules and other hardware. Better to have and not need then need and not have. Same goes for traps. Conibears and footholds of 1/2 dozen each size I'd think. Snare wire for squirrels and rabbits. Can also be used for other purposes. I've never gave this much thought but like most things I've learned is when you think you've got enough of, double it.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8017903
12/11/23 01:59 AM
12/11/23 01:59 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
In a protracted survival scenario...you really dont need to run as one would think. Mainly because you cant run that many. In that situation, the currency is Calories. You'll be walking those lines or maybe riding a pack animal or bike.-If you spend more calories setting traps vs the calories gained from eating the catch, you die of starvation.

Defintitely would have a stockpile of snares but the workshorse would probably be longspring traps and bodygrips

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; 12/11/23 01:59 AM.
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8018102
12/11/23 10:40 AM
12/11/23 10:40 AM
Yukon/ BC Canada
W
wannabe1 Offline
trapper
wannabe1  Offline
trapper
W

Yukon/ BC Canada
An old trapper/prospector who spent time on the northern sask/nwt border said everything changed when nylon rope was invented....the "indians" would simply snare moose for food at all times of the year....fat is the hardest item to find in nature when you are in an area with neither salmon or seals...simple snare wire can fill your stomach with rabbit and squirrel but without fat you will slowly starve...beaver and bear meat is about the only source of fat in my area...."living off the land" is pure fantasy in the lower 48 (too many people!) unless you are a vegetable/livestock farmer and have a decent growing season...I can't even grow potatoes without a greenhouse...florida?!?! I'm guessing farming and ocean fishing and shrimping perhaps?

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: wannabe1] #8018114
12/11/23 11:01 AM
12/11/23 11:01 AM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by wannabe1
An old trapper/prospector who spent time on the northern sask/nwt border said everything changed when nylon rope was invented....the "indians" would simply snare moose for food at all times of the year....fat is the hardest item to find in nature when you are in an area with neither salmon or seals...simple snare wire can fill your stomach with rabbit and squirrel but without fat you will slowly starve...beaver and bear meat is about the only source of fat in my area...."living off the land" is pure fantasy in the lower 48 (too many people!) unless you are a vegetable/livestock farmer and have a decent growing season...I can't even grow potatoes without a greenhouse...florida?!?! I'm guessing farming and ocean fishing and shrimping perhaps?

This^^is correct. And that is why most natives (b4 European contact) lived along Florida's coastline and along waterways.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8018377
12/11/23 04:46 PM
12/11/23 04:46 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I wouldnt worry about it,After the big one there will be lots of dead people to eat.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8018729
12/12/23 12:17 AM
12/12/23 12:17 AM
Wisconsin
Scott__aR Offline
trapper
Scott__aR  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
If we look back in history, the mountain men typically carried less than dozen traps per man and a trapping party was able to supply an entire expedition with a far amount of meat. A couple of things to keep in mind, those men knew how to effectively trap animals and they were exploring in a relatively rich animal environment, until they trapped an area out.

Megapredator ... top of the food chain!
Member of WTA
Member of MTPCA
Member of NTA
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8018753
12/12/23 01:31 AM
12/12/23 01:31 AM
Central Texas
C
Centex Trapper Offline
trapper
Centex Trapper  Offline
trapper
C

Central Texas
This thread got me to thinking, which is dangerous.

I live in central Texas. We have a family ranch outside town. If it happens, I’ll probably spend most of my time protecting our cattle, sheep and goat herds from the hordes and coyotes. Guns, ammo, and horses, etc.

I’ll still need to do Predator control for the sheep and goats.
So five dozen K9 Extremes on drags.
Three sets of trap setting gear. Trapping pack basket.
Bait making supplies like sodium benzoate and glycerine.
10k ft 5/64th cable. 1000 mini pro locks. 2000 cable ends. 500 swivels. Case of tie wire. Cutters, pliers.

Same amount of 1/8 inch cable and gear for pig/deer snares.
1000 ft of 3/64 inch cable and gear for rabbits and small game snares.

Five dozen dog proofs
Two dozen 1-1/2 coil springs
Dozen coon size cage traps
2 dozen 330s
2 dozen 220s
2 dozen 110s

200 ft #3 chain
200 ft #9 wire

Luckily, that is about what I happen to have on hand right now. Not too shabby! smile

Bridges Predator Control
Serving Central Texas
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8027170
12/21/23 03:04 PM
12/21/23 03:04 PM
Sisters, Oregon
S
Sodpoodle Offline
trapper
Sodpoodle  Offline
trapper
S

Sisters, Oregon
Ok I'll play, late to the party because I just stumbled on this thread.

Demographics and such for reference: Central Oregon, high desert country, on the edge of more traditional PNW climate. Reasonable percentage of hunters in the population but vast majority are your typical bay area California tech bro transplants. Outdoorsy in a technical climbing/hiking/snow sport access way(think backcountry ski touring folks), but little knowledge of existing without the world as we know it. Plan for this scenario will also be from my actual current perspective: Solo 40 y/o m, no known underlying health conditions, living off-grid in a small travel trailer. Novice to trapping, not a big hunter/fisher, pretty decent bushcraft type experience plus some time in austere/remote medical/humanitarian aide. And a lot of time in/around the lower socio-economic populations. Why does all that matter? Well, because you wanted the individuals plan based on *their* current situation/location. As folks stated already there are a ton of variables beyond even just physical location that will determine what the best course of action is for the individual.

So I am assuming this is a 5 year end of the world as we know it hypothetical. The aspect of folks losing their minds and actively killing/stealing from each other has already been covered, also the fact every person with whisper of ability to obtain a firearm will be "in the woods hunting for food". Like rifle deer season mixed with Hunger Games.

The first wave I wouldn't even focus on large game during any non-snow months, probably not even the first winter either. Two part reasoning here: One there's going to be too much violent competition, two I simply don't have the resources to deal with that much meat/fat during spoiling season along with everything else I need to take care of. Honestly just trying to maintain my life/work on projects/fix broken (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) during *good* times has been a full time job. This is trapping only so I'll skip the trials & tribulations of trying to set up heat/power while also hauling water and dealing with environmental factors like internal living space temps ranging from 100f to 20f, and being damp for a month.

Primary plan: Gill nets. Ideal world order some cheapy monofilament ones on Amazon, then order to supplies to make/maintain my own. I'm not sure how many yards of line a say 20'x5' net would take, but lets shoot for 10 premade(probably one time-ish use), 10 repairable ones made by me. Why gill nets? They're light, they can be very low vis, I have a number of water sources near me containing fish. If you've ever watched Alone, gill nets were great producers of meat/fat. Fish are easier to carry/preserve on an as needed basis.

Secondary: Snares. Experienced folks please chime in here, as I'm just spit balling supplies. I'm going to shoot for 2 dozen operable snares at any one time for the purpose of this scenario. Reason being, as time goes on and fuel goes away.. We'll be using our Chevrolegs for transportation. How long of a line can I really effectively efficiently check on foot, with other daily chores? How much meat can I actually carry back? 1 deer? 2 deer? How many coyotes dressed out can you guys carry? I don't really have any raccoons/muskrat/beaver/rabbits in my direct walkable area of operations. Here's where I'd love the input:

Thinking 6' 1/8' extensions, 6' 1/8" primary snares for deer size game? 1000' would make approx ~83 set ups. Assuming extensions are reusable mostly, I think this would last a person a long time?

Let's throw in 1000' of say 5/64' 1/19 for making smaller game do it all snares. Coyote/cougar/bobcat are my primary target species in mind here. That's roughly ~166 6' snares, using our 1/8" extensions.

Also add in 100' of 7/19 3/16" for making powered bear foot snares. I'd target bear primarily late fall because they've done the work to build fat stores for me by then, and they're hungry so baiting would be easy. No use targeting spring bear in this scenario if I can avoid it.

Tertiary: Is going to be making traps of opportunity as I go/in places I already have a reason to be expending calories being. Say on the hike in to a lake to check a gill net. I've never used one, but the Russian Koolyomaka trap seems to be an effective indefinitely reusable and very importantly low vis/natural looking trap adaptable to small game. Primarily used for marten, but in my case would be something like a squirrel of opportunity trap. Highly recommend watching the documentary Happy People, OP. I'd also experiment with a grouse churn.. I have no idea the effectiveness, but the fact they are banned in nordic countries makes me think they work? Again, low effort, low vis, in this case should keep game alive. One could potentially live trap grouse and try to raise them. Also provides natural and currently illegal cat flagging, as always low vis to not catch the attention of humans.

As for locks/swivels/ferrules/associated consumables. I don't know, I don't have the experience to know how often you'll need to replace parts. Ferrules definitely seem to be a 1 time use so I'd grab the most of those. Maybe 1k for each size of cable? 100 locks per cable size? Would it be beneficial to use relaxing vs dispatch in this scenario to keep catches alive until you get to them, or even completely unethically leave them alive til you are prepared to process them? Weigh in experts.

I've deliberately left out footholds/conibears/cages because they're heavy, in the case of footholds without a drag leave a bigger human eye catching mess. It surely wouldn't hurt to have the option of them though.

In reality staying in one spot will require raising ones own food to be a sustainable option. There's a reason most native american tribes usually moved with seasons/following heard animals. And that was when resources were far more plentiful, experience far higher, and less risk from humans.

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8027249
12/21/23 04:25 PM
12/21/23 04:25 PM
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
As many traps you can put up. You can use the extra for barter.........

Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8028163
12/22/23 05:42 PM
12/22/23 05:42 PM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Here goes, Illinois; figuring not stupid Illinois laws to follow....
6 330
12 110
6 #11
6 # 1 1/2 longsprings
6 #44 Blake and Lambs
1000 feet 1/8'' cable and 200 ferrules, locks
cable cutter
500 ft parachute cord
2 @ 30' gill nets
100 good hooks for catfish and 500 feet line
good axe and knife
good accurate bolt action .22 with open sights and 200 rounds of regular hollow point target ammo, silencer, tip off 6 power scope
this is if I am the only person doing the trapping, hunting , fishing. If kids help they need a knife and axe too.
If society falls apart people will steel all you have and you'll end up fighting people for your food. We don't have much in the way of big game but I think cats and coyotes would be big game in this kind of thing. You didn't sat anything about laws so I would use a 330 larger animals every chance I could. Snares would work for deer too. But I would expect deer will be the first animals gone if society falls apart because every body is a ''deer hunter'' here. I'd need a good AR 15 with 5000 rounds and a good sight just for the wife to protect the farm and cattle while I was out - but if it is this bad I won't be going anywhere unless I have to. I would do like Boco says and learn how to do with what you have in place. You can't carry all this stuff. You'd have to sleep by your sets so people didn't steal them. You'll trap off the animals fast and there wont be enough for 5 years unless no one else is doing it. And that aint going to be the case. It will be everyone for themselves.

Merry Christmas to all!

Just passin through
Re: What’s your grid down tools and supplies list? [Re: SlowBro] #8031264
12/26/23 08:40 AM
12/26/23 08:40 AM
Pa
W
Wright Brothers Online content
trapper
Wright Brothers  Online Content
trapper
W