No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
How would you handle this? #8013527
12/06/23 07:21 PM
12/06/23 07:21 PM
Pennsylvania
B
BW55 Offline OP
trapper
BW55  Offline OP
trapper
B

Pennsylvania
Last Saturday my youngest grandson and I went hunting for the last several hours of the day. My plan was to hunt to a point of terrain where I
had seen deer feeding on acorns many times over the years. I thought maybe we would make a loop and circle both sides of the forest road that we drove in on.
While helping him with his tangled orange vest,I saw a truck approaching like they were late for work. The fellow stopped and asked me if we were just coming out or leaving
to which I said, just starting. He then asked me which side of the road that we planned on hunting. I asked why? He said he would hunt the side of the road that we were not
going to be on. I responded that we may make a loop and hunt both sides,and wondered why on such a long road in the middle of a public land forest that he needed to hunt there.
He was irritated and took off down the road. We walked up the road to clear some heavy beech brush and he passed us coming the other way. I could see his stop lights come on and him pullover
150 yards up the road-(he was parked there when we left at quitting time.) We abandoned our plan to make a loop and just headed to the "point" that I wanted to get to. I was more
concerned about my 12 year old grandson seeing me as a hypocrite as I always say that "this is supposed to be fun"

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013534
12/06/23 07:25 PM
12/06/23 07:25 PM
NWT
Ryan McLeod Offline
trapper
Ryan McLeod  Offline
trapper

NWT
If its public land then theres not much you can do id imagine. Fight the guy or move on

If you take care of the land the land will take care of you
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013536
12/06/23 07:27 PM
12/06/23 07:27 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Well it's public land. He may have scouted the area and found it to be a good spot. He was courteous in asking where you were going so he wouldn't interrupt your hunt. He would hunt the opposite side that you were going. He must have assumed you were going into the woods to sit rather than walk around. How I would have handled it would have been to stay to one side of the road if he wanted to sit.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013539
12/06/23 07:29 PM
12/06/23 07:29 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Just another plug for private land.

I rarely deer hunt public, but I do turkey hunt public. Believe it or not, I only ran into one jerk. They pulled up as my wife and I had just started walking. Luckily we were at a dead end. They asked which direction we were going and I said whichever way the turkey gobbled. He told me to pick a direction and I politely pointed to the way they came in and said it ain’t that way. He told me they’d just go whichever way we didn’t. I told him that was fine but I had tons of land to hunt and is make sure they didn’t kill a bird that day. They mumbled something and turned around and left.
I’d already passed my first 3 spots because trucks were parked at the gate. This was spot #4 and I wasn’t giving it up. Common courtesy is to just move on if someone is already there. The fact you supposedly roosted a gobbler, I was there the evening before and they weren’t, doesn’t entitle you to a spot.

You handled it correctly and they didn’t.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013548
12/06/23 07:35 PM
12/06/23 07:35 PM
Georgia
G
GARY M. Offline
trapper
GARY M.  Offline
trapper
G

Georgia
Public land can be real aggravating to hunt, around here they will walk past the tree you are climbed in and climbed just past you, I try to avoid must public land hunting anymore.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013551
12/06/23 07:36 PM
12/06/23 07:36 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Ahh...public land.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013554
12/06/23 07:38 PM
12/06/23 07:38 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Had a guy do similar but walking up on foot behing my boys and I.. it was obvious we were looking in the direction we were going and slowly walking hunt twords the area.

Now this was squirrel season mind you and I found out he was heading to " his tree" instead of getting mad and letting my boys whom had picked this spot out of several others see me get rude I told the boys com on let's go somewhere else. We walked back out and drove down the road to a new area and walked in. Now it was early season and they only move well in the morning for an hour and half or so and it burn up 60 mins of out hinting time and I was frustrated but public ground and dealing with the public.

What got me was I would not have said a word and went somewhere else when I saw kids hunting or even told them where to go to hunt my spot so they would be successful. Instead this guy in his 50s was worried about a couple kids getting his spot.

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013561
12/06/23 07:44 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Takes all kinds.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: Swamp Wolf] #8013562
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Ahh...public land.

That's what I say...

I don't hunt it in Minnesota

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013581
12/06/23 07:54 PM
12/06/23 07:54 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
It's irritating but I agree not much you could do without setting a poor example for a young hunter.

A buddy and I pulled up to a flooded low water crossing and started pitching lures about day light. We were hammering the bass, big little and in between. Some dweeb parked behind us boxing us in and then proceeded to set up between us. The water way might have been 25 ft wide.

I accidentally cast over his line about every 3rd try.

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013609
12/06/23 08:20 PM
12/06/23 08:20 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by BW55
Last Saturday my youngest grandson and I went hunting for the last several hours of the day. My plan was to hunt to a point of terrain where I
had seen deer feeding on acorns many times over the years. I thought maybe we would make a loop and circle both sides of the forest road that we drove in on.
While helping him with his tangled orange vest,I saw a truck approaching like they were late for work. The fellow stopped and asked me if we were just coming out or leaving
to which I said, just starting. He then asked me which side of the road that we planned on hunting. I asked why? He said he would hunt the side of the road that we were not
going to be on. I responded that we may make a loop and hunt both sides,and wondered why on such a long road in the middle of a public land forest that he needed to hunt there.
He was irritated and took off down the road. We walked up the road to clear some heavy beech brush and he passed us coming the other way. I could see his stop lights come on and him pullover
150 yards up the road-(he was parked there when we left at quitting time.) We abandoned our plan to make a loop and just headed to the "point" that I wanted to get to. I was more
concerned about my 12 year old grandson seeing me as a hypocrite as I always say that "this is supposed to be fun"

Honestly,,,if its public or we call it State Land here,,,I think he was being courteous offering to hunt whatever side you guys were not hunting on.

Last edited by upstateNY; 12/06/23 08:20 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: upstateNY] #8013625
12/06/23 08:29 PM
12/06/23 08:29 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by Mando
Well it's public land. He may have scouted the area and found it to be a good spot. He was courteous in asking where you were going so he wouldn't interrupt your hunt. He would hunt the opposite side that you were going. He must have assumed you were going into the woods to sit rather than walk around. How I would have handled it would have been to stay to one side of the road if he wanted to sit.

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Honestly,,,if its public or we call it State Land here,,,I think he was being courteous offering to hunt whatever side you guys were not hunting on.

It stinks that your plans were ruined by another guy looking to hunt the same area but I agree with the two guys above. It’s happened to me while turkey and deer hunting. We usually ask each other what area each of us are heading to and one of us heads in another direction. It’s just common courtesy and the way it should be handled.

Eh...wot?

Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013639
12/06/23 08:41 PM
12/06/23 08:41 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
live and let live, he probably had his reasons..which were valid reasons to him.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: How would you handle this? [Re: BW55] #8013641
12/06/23 08:43 PM
12/06/23 08:43 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
That was nothing...I once was sitting in my blind on Gov land, and some bunghole with an ATV comes roaring along thru the woods, parks that stinking Piece 'O Crap about 100 ft away from me and starts walking further into the woods. I'm dressed in orange, and I know he saw me, 'cause I saw him look, at me. I complained to him and he acted all put out about it,. but got back on and rode it back the way he came. About 20 min later here he comes, walking back in to his stand. Didn't say squat.

Another guy was in my ground blind when I got to it, Had the nerve to claim he'd fluffed up the camo some, I guess to have some kind of claim on it. So I just went a 100 yds or so further down the ridge, and made a quick brush blind. I shot a Buck that, wouldn't you know it, dropped dead right in front of that blind. But the guy was gone, so I gutted my Deer right in front of the blind, and even threw scraps in the brush of the blind. LOL

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread