No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Changing Idaho Trapping Reciprocity Laws #8011274
12/04/23 12:35 PM
12/04/23 12:35 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline OP
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
I don't post on here much but was trying to get some healthy debate on reciprocity laws. In Idaho we don't have the Arizona reciprocity law we have a slightly more restrictive law. Example, I can trap in Kansas because Kansas folks can trap in Idaho. I can't trap marten in Kansas because I can't go to Kansas and trap marten (doesn't matter that marten don't exist there). The other thing is if your state has banned trapping (California) you cannot trap in Idaho. Four big points that a lot of folks don't realize:
#1 Wolf trapping is completely exempt from this reciprocity rule because they are listed as big game animals. Anyone from any state can trap wolves in Idaho if they take the wolf trapper ed class. This has been the rule since the first wolf trapping season in 2011.
#2 Less than 25 non resident trapping licenses are sold every year in Idaho (most for wolf trapping). And that includes years with high coyote and cat prices
#3 It is already legal, yes legal for anyone from Washington, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, both Dakotas, Nebraska, Texas, Kansas, and many more states to trap in Idaho. (If you have a similar trappers ed and buy a non resident trapping license of coarse) Has been this way for decades and decades. This will only change things for a very very small number of folks. We only sell a handful of non resident trapping licenses in Idaho from out of state because it is really expensive to state hop to trap. It is not like fishing, hound hunting or pheasant hunting where a person comes over for just the weekend.
#4 59% of ITA's membership is from out of state including 52 life members from out of state! That is not a misprint, 59%......I know I represent as the Idaho president but we cannot do any fight alone and I feel like I represent trappers from all over. Trappers are discriminated against all over the United States. It hurts my heart to see fellow trappers not have a opportunity to trap because of what their drivers license says. We are currently in a federal lawsuit trying to take away your way to trap and probably will be in another one soon. More money from that lawsuit is going to come from trappers from out of Idaho than inside Idaho. When I hear folks that are stationed at Mt Home Air Force Base but cannot trap for 5 days on their Christmas break because their home state is California it breaks my heart. People that fight for our country for gods sakes! When I hear a fellow ITA life member that cannot allow his 12 year old grandson to set muskrat traps on his Thanksgiving break because he is visiting from California something just doesn't sit right. He could trap a wolf but not a skunk or muskrat? We are all trappers regardless of the state on our drivers licenses and I don't want to discriminate fellow trappers. How about others thoughts?
Thank you Rusty Kramer Idaho Trappers Association President

Last edited by Idahotrapguy; 12/04/23 12:51 PM.

Life member of ITA, NTA, and NRA. President for Idaho Trappers Association.
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011292
12/04/23 12:51 PM
12/04/23 12:51 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I think we should let Californians trap in Idaho. It’s not like these few trappers are the Woke California Liberals we don’t want moving into our state. Also, it isn’t their fault a wacko Liberal Governor outlawed cage trapping.

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011293
12/04/23 12:52 PM
12/04/23 12:52 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Online content
trapper
Boco  Online Content
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
What is your total number of members in your trapping org.
What percentage of resident trappers there are members?

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011311
12/04/23 01:14 PM
12/04/23 01:14 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Depends on the resource. If you have a bag limit, or a draw for residents, why would you allocate your resource to non-residents?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Boco] #8011315
12/04/23 01:19 PM
12/04/23 01:19 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline OP
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
Boco,
We have a little over 900 members in our association. The percentage of Idahoans that buy a trapping license that are ITA members is around 42%. Too low and something I am working on feverishly.
Rusty

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Dirt] #8011317
12/04/23 01:21 PM
12/04/23 01:21 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline OP
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
Dirt,
We have zero draws for furbearers. The only thing we have a quota on is otter which is a personal and regional quota. We are concerned with overharvest with bobcats and might look at non resident bobcat quotas.
Rusty

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011330
12/04/23 01:43 PM
12/04/23 01:43 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
We have no reciprocity law. That is IMHO the best way to handle non-resident trappers. If they are not threat to the resource, no need for these laws.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011331
12/04/23 01:46 PM
12/04/23 01:46 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Originally Posted by Idahotrapguy
I don't post on here much but was trying to get some healthy debate on reciprocity laws. In Idaho we don't have the Arizona reciprocity law we have a slightly more restrictive law. Example, I can trap in Kansas because Kansas folks can trap in Idaho. I can't trap marten in Kansas because I can't go to Kansas and trap marten (doesn't matter that marten don't exist there). The other thing is if your state has banned trapping (California) you cannot trap in Idaho. Four big points that a lot of folks don't realize:
#1 Wolf trapping is completely exempt from this reciprocity rule because they are listed as big game animals. Anyone from any state can trap wolves in Idaho if they take the wolf trapper ed class. This has been the rule since the first wolf trapping season in 2011.
#2 Less than 25 non resident trapping licenses are sold every year in Idaho (most for wolf trapping). And that includes years with high coyote and cat prices
#3 It is already legal, yes legal for anyone from Washington, Oregon, Montana, Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, both Dakotas, Nebraska, Texas, Kansas, and many more states to trap in Idaho. (If you have a similar trappers ed and buy a non resident trapping license of coarse) Has been this way for decades and decades. This will only change things for a very very small number of folks. We only sell a handful of non resident trapping licenses in Idaho from out of state because it is really expensive to state hop to trap. It is not like fishing, hound hunting or pheasant hunting where a person comes over for just the weekend.
#4 59% of ITA's membership is from out of state including 52 life members from out of state! That is not a misprint, 59%......I know I represent as the Idaho president but we cannot do any fight alone and I feel like I represent trappers from all over. Trappers are discriminated against all over the United States. It hurts my heart to see fellow trappers not have a opportunity to trap because of what their drivers license says. We are currently in a federal lawsuit trying to take away your way to trap and probably will be in another one soon. More money from that lawsuit is going to come from trappers from out of Idaho than inside Idaho. When I hear folks that are stationed at Mt Home Air Force Base but cannot trap for 5 days on their Christmas break because their home state is California it breaks my heart. People that fight for our country for gods sakes! When I hear a fellow ITA life member that cannot allow his 12 year old grandson to set muskrat traps on his Thanksgiving break because he is visiting from California something just doesn't sit right. He could trap a wolf but not a skunk or muskrat? We are all trappers regardless of the state on our drivers licenses and I don't want to discriminate fellow trappers. How about others thoughts?
Thank you Rusty Kramer Idaho Trappers Association President

Rusty, You're absolutely right! Why dosen't Idaho Game and Fish realize that punishing trappers because those trappers are being persecuted in their home state makes no sense. They can't all be that stupid. While you're at it, stop and think about why you have a huge license fee for out of state furbuyers. That eliminates a a whole lot of craft people.

Last edited by wy.wolfer; 12/04/23 01:50 PM.
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Dirt] #8011379
12/04/23 02:25 PM
12/04/23 02:25 PM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Dirt
We have no reciprocity law. That is IMHO the best way to handle non-resident trappers. If they are not threat to the resource, no need for these laws.

Reciprocity is the worst. Greed and selfishness

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011389
12/04/23 02:36 PM
12/04/23 02:36 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Boco,
We have a little over 900 members in our association. The percentage of Idahoans that buy a trapping license that are ITA members is around 42%. Too low and something I am working on feverishly.
Rusty

Although low, I think it is one of the highest percentages of any states. The last I heard, Pennsylvania has over 30,000 furtakers licenses sold, their Trappers Association has about 3,000 members or 10%. Although, some of the licenses sold are hunters only, it is still a low percentage of trappers involved in their membership.

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011391
12/04/23 02:41 PM
12/04/23 02:41 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
The one thing I’ve found out over the years is people don’t fess up to the restrictions they have in their own states while they make comments about other States rules. A lot of folks omit the delays, draw's and restrictions that their own State imposes on Non Residents but don’t like your States rules. A lot more states have NR restrictions than you would think the people admit.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: wy.wolfer] #8011615
12/04/23 06:45 PM
12/04/23 06:45 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline OP
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
Wy Wolfer, we just pushed through a 3 day non resident furbuyer license last year. Hoping to pull some more craft guys into our sales with that.
Rusty

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Dirt] #8011617
12/04/23 06:46 PM
12/04/23 06:46 PM
Idaho
I
Idahotrapguy Offline OP
trapper
Idahotrapguy  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
Dirt, that is what we are proposing. Lifting all reciprocity.
Rusty

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011629
12/04/23 07:09 PM
12/04/23 07:09 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Any other state requiring Georgia residents to post a bond to get a nonresident license?

If not they should because that's what non residents have to do here.

[Linked Image]
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011656
12/04/23 07:29 PM
12/04/23 07:29 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I once upon a time had planned to trap bobcats in Idaho. Bought the license and was gearing up when I found out I was only going to be allowed to catch five, like in eastern Oregon. It was explained to me that even though I reside in western Oregon where there is no bag limit on cats the rule is whatever the most restrictive bag limit or quota your state has then it would be the same for trapping in Idaho.

To Idaho’s credit they did refund my license fee after I returned it since the regs were hazy on the subject.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8011766
12/04/23 09:05 PM
12/04/23 09:05 PM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
Alaska doesn't have trapper Ed. Are we still able to get a non res license?

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: martentrapper] #8011985
12/05/23 12:01 AM
12/05/23 12:01 AM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by martentrapper
Alaska doesn't have trapper Ed. Are we still able to get a non res license?

You would have to take the Idaho course in person.

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Law Dog] #8012000
12/05/23 12:30 AM
12/05/23 12:30 AM
SE Kansas
K
K52 Offline
trapper
K52  Offline
trapper
K

SE Kansas
Originally Posted by Law Dog
The one thing I’ve found out over the years is people don’t fess up to the restrictions they have in their own states while they make comments about other States rules. A lot of folks omit the delays, draw's and restrictions that their own State imposes on Non Residents but don’t like your States rules. A lot more states have NR restrictions than you would think the people admit.

We have none here, non residents operate under the same rules as residents. There is no biological need for not allowing non-residents.
How many states that have trapping have an outright ban on non resident trapping? Why?

Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: K52] #8012013
12/05/23 12:52 AM
12/05/23 12:52 AM
MN
S
Steven 49er Offline
trapper
Steven 49er  Offline
trapper
S

MN
Originally Posted by K52

How many states that have trapping have an outright ban on non resident trapping? Why?

There are a couple states that have an outright ban on trapping. Hawaii and California come to mind.

Of the states that allow some form of trapping only one has an outright ban on Non Resident trappers. That would be MN.

"Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon". Milton Friedman.
Re: Changing Idaho reciprocity laws [Re: Idahotrapguy] #8012576
12/05/23 05:34 PM
12/05/23 05:34 PM
Co.-Wy. part time AK.
W
wy.wolfer Offline
trapper
wy.wolfer  Offline
trapper
W

Co.-Wy. part time AK.
Wy Wolfer, we just pushed through a 3 day non resident furbuyer license last year. Hoping to pull some more craft guys into our sales with that.
Rusty
I see that license is $76.50 think that will be low enough to draw in the public, flea marketers, tailgaiters, etc.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread