No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Wolverine Listed as Threatened in the Lower 48 [Re: Jeremiah Wood] #8007898
11/30/23 02:56 PM
11/30/23 02:56 PM
North Central Idaho
Jumperzee Offline
trapper
Jumperzee  Offline
trapper

North Central Idaho
Jeremiah, I'm familiar with the Maine lynx history, what a mess and something to be avoided at all costs. As I understand it, most of the legal wrangling there was around the ITP which falls under Section 10 of the ESA and subject to different processes.

Read the "Background under Sec II. Interim Rule Issued Under Section 4(d) of the Act". Explains the Secretary's discretion and legal precedents. Key is "provides the secretary with wide latitude of discretion...". The current comment period will be used to daylight any perceived inadequacies in the Service's logic under the 4(d) exceptions. In short, the enviros can't come back and sue on issues not raised during the comment period. All the trapping records have already been been released in the updated SSA and their science described in the FR notice. Only argument I can see at this point is on the APA - conclusion doesn't match the facts.

I'm just happy I get to keep going for now!!!

Re: Wolverine Listed as Threatened in the Lower 48 [Re: Jumperzee] #8007921
11/30/23 03:22 PM
11/30/23 03:22 PM
Northern Maine
Jeremiah Wood Offline OP
trapper
Jeremiah Wood  Offline OP
trapper

Northern Maine
Thanks for the clarification, you definitely have a better understanding of the process than I do. I hope you are right and that the listing is on solid footing in regards to trapping. Guess I've seen the ESA used as a weapon for so long that I don't trust it.

Re: Wolverine Listed as Threatened in the Lower 48 [Re: PWC] #8007926
11/30/23 03:32 PM
11/30/23 03:32 PM
Missouri
A
All33 Offline
trapper
All33  Offline
trapper
A

Missouri
Photographic and hair sample evidence more specifically.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread