No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
anyone load their own Sabots ? #8004612
11/26/23 08:55 PM
11/26/23 08:55 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline OP
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline OP
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
shot my other deer this year with my 20ga rifled slug gun had it for years loaned it out but never really used it myself

I have seen 2 deer shot with the sabots from this gun and I am impressed with the terminal performance , where 300blk is light and accurate and light recoiling it lacks a little in the make two holes department.

I was using Winchester dual bonds but can no longer find them, I shot the deer this year with federal power shock sabots finding any of them in stock and not 18 dollars for 5 rounds is the problem , it isn't like you shoot a lot of them but with the way they keep changing and difficulty in finding them it has me looking at BPI ballistic products

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/20ga-Valu-Slug-Power-Shok-Sabot-375gr-100_box/productinfo/R20PSS/

unfortunately they are also out of stock

they have a sabot only bring your own bullet for 12ga and the reviews are good although about 2/3s are "make this in 20 ga and we all want to buy it "

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: anyone load their own Sabots ? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8004752
11/26/23 10:12 PM
11/26/23 10:12 PM
Waterville Minnesota
M
mudtracker Offline
trapper
mudtracker  Offline
trapper
M

Waterville Minnesota
The price of sabot loads is ridiculous. It's a slug case with a plastic sabot and a bullet. Anything over 10 to 15 bucks for a five pack is just greed. I had to find nontoxic 20 guage loads for my son this year. What a pain.

WHO MADE THIS MESS ALL OVER MY FLOOR THE MUDTRACKER WAS HERE HE HE HE
Re: anyone load their own Sabots ? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #8004819
11/26/23 11:17 PM
11/26/23 11:17 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
And the price of slugs is why I shot my deer with muzzleloaders back when we were slug gun only . And they were a lot cheaper back them also. But I like to shoot my deer guns a lot so it got expensive also I was young and broke back then.

For the trouble, changing avaliable, ect you may decide to give the 350blegand a serious look with some of the 170g + loads . I'm exceedingly happy with the internal dame and results from the 5 deer my 11 year old shot with winchester 150gr xp. But with 2 hard quartering shots we did get pass through shots. But to be fair my 250gr xtp out of my muzzleloader would not have passed through with those shots either. And both of them droped with massive internal damage so no complaints here from me. I wish they would shoot well out of my 13 year olds but they dont so he has 170gr Hornady sp. Have yet to shoot anything with them though.

Re: anyone load their own Sabots ? [Re: mudtracker] #8004827
11/26/23 11:26 PM
11/26/23 11:26 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mudtracker
The price of sabot loads is ridiculous. It's a slug case with a plastic sabot and a bullet. Anything over 10 to 15 bucks for a five pack is just greed. I had to find nontoxic 20 guage loads for my son this year. What a pain.

last year that was all I could find still on the shelf

finding 20ga slugs at all was slim pickings this year compared to 12

20ga sabots are nearly a 45-70 when you look at what your sending for weight and velocity.
very effective
just a pain to source and pay for

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: anyone load their own Sabots ? [Re: Providence Farm] #8004828
11/26/23 11:30 PM
11/26/23 11:30 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
trapper
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
And the price of slugs is why I shot my deer with muzzleloaders back when we were slug gun only . And they were a lot cheaper back them also. But I like to shoot my deer guns a lot so it got expensive also I was young and broke back then.

For the trouble, changing avaliable, ect you may decide to give the 350blegand a serious look with some of the 170g + loads . I'm exceedingly happy with the internal dame and results from the 5 deer my 11 year old shot with winchester 150gr xp. But with 2 hard quartering shots we did get pass through shots. But to be fair my 250gr xtp out of my muzzleloader would not have passed through with those shots either. And both of them droped with massive internal damage so no complaints here from me. I wish they would shoot well out of my 13 year olds but they dont so he has 170gr Hornady sp. Have yet to shoot anything with them though.

350 is only an option in this township as a pistol , and under 18 can't hunt with a pistol in WI
so your stuck trying to make the best slug option for kids , completely backwards but it is what it is.

the only way I can use the 300blk is I built it as a pistol and I am over 18

I know a 16 inch barrel braced pistol , make stupid ordinance get creative solutions

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread