Fur Handling Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

>
Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Fur Handling Page)

Print Thread
Hop To
Fleshing and stretching #8003721
11/25/23 10:26 PM
11/25/23 10:26 PM
Michigan, United States
C
calstefanko Offline OP
trapper
calstefanko  Offline OP
trapper
C

Michigan, United States
After trapping as a sort of hobby in high school I took a 3-4 year absence from trapping, when in high school any animal I trapped after skinning would be fletched and stretched by a family friend, now that I’m getting back into trapping I figured learning how to flesh and stretch is something that I absolutely need to learn, I recently was in the U.P and put out a handful of sets as I was only there for 2 days, I caught 2 beaver and skinned, fleshed and stretched them, I did not have my fleshing tools with me in the UP so I had to wait a day to flesh but here is my final product, I wasn’t able to get all the meat and fat off by the head and tried skinning further with a knife but it seemed pretty hardened on t here and I wasn’t getting anywhere fast. I made a few mistakes skinning and fleshing (gouging holes, etc) any tips or tricks that would help me in future is appreciated. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8003875
11/26/23 03:07 AM
11/26/23 03:07 AM
wa
F
FranktheTank Offline
trapper
FranktheTank  Offline
trapper
F

wa
You already know this; the oval one is much better. One thing that helps me is observation. Little things folks showed me over time, like a fleshing knife(really a "draw" Knife) being somewhat dull except on the last couple of inches, and to push at an angle. The sharp end starts a cut and the dull does most of the work. Knowing where the thick hide is, and where the thin part is. Youtube is amazing; we had a kid show up with some beaver he's put up and my FIL asked who he's learned from, as it was very good. "No one, this is my first ones; I learned from Youtube." Lastly, ask local trappers. Drive to their place to watch if need be. At rendezvous there's usually demos. Lower the pride, like you've done here, and get in there. The good guys, who want trapping to continue for future generations will help you out. Sometime you have to pry info out of them (I still have to at 53!) but they will help, especially if you bribe them with cold frosty malt beverages and laugh at their jokes! There are folks here that are amazing in general, and beaver especially. They will help you out! I'm jealous; here in WA State we can only use live traps, and trapping is being pushed out. Soak it up!

Frank the Tank
"I just ride on them. I don't know what makes them work."
Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8004420
11/26/23 06:24 PM
11/26/23 06:24 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by calstefanko
any tips or tricks that would help me in future is appreciated.
Using a small pelt (stirrup) fleshing tool is very effective in finish and touchup when the beaver pelt is partly tacked up. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8004788
11/26/23 10:36 PM
11/26/23 10:36 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Use afew more nails on your edges, nail your holes shut, and keep after it! You'll get better. Get a beaver board pattern.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: Yukon John] #8004876
11/27/23 12:50 AM
11/27/23 12:50 AM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Originally Posted by Yukon John
Use afew more nails on your edges, nail your holes shut, and keep after it! You'll get better. Get a beaver board pattern.
Yup

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8005577
11/27/23 10:45 PM
11/27/23 10:45 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Do what YJ said and get some more practice.
Get another trapper who puts up fur to watch wile you skin flesh and stretch and he can let you know where you are making mistakes as you go.This will help you immensely also on how to properly use and maintain the tools.

Last edited by Boco; 11/27/23 10:56 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8008136
11/30/23 08:27 PM
11/30/23 08:27 PM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Another 4-500 and you’ll be getting the hang of it. Each one try and improve over the last one.

Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8008404
12/01/23 01:12 AM
12/01/23 01:12 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
[Linked Image]

Since I clean skin the only tool I need after the skinning is a simple pull-type paint scraper to clean up the pelt a little. I keep a roll of paper towels handy as well.

I second the notion of learning with an experienced hand to help you out. I have offered to help local guys out that way and occasionally someone takes me up on it.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8008722
12/01/23 12:37 PM
12/01/23 12:37 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Here is how I do it.I just put this one up a half hour ago so was able to take some pics.

I nail out a rough clean skinned beaver with a few nails and put outside to freeze overnight.I cut off the ears and trim extra skin around the legholes before I put it out.
In the morning I frost scrape it,it takes less than 5 minutes.
[Linked Image]

Then I bring it in and let it thaw out for half an hour.
When its thawed I proceed as normal
I trim the nose,lips and whiskers off the top.
And trim the cloaca and tail tags off the bottom.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then I just start nailing at one side and proceed all the way around the pelt,keeping the nails about an inch apart.
[Linked Image]

When the nailing is complete,I use the paint scraper or a frost scraper to clean up any fat around the leg holes,then use a nail or two to close up the legholes.
The trimming and nailing takes no more than 10 minutes. [Linked Image]

Now you have a nice clean beaver that will dry in 24 hours at room temp,or 48 hours in a cold room.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: bctomcat] #8104851
03/21/24 08:29 AM
03/21/24 08:29 AM
Maine
S
SteveME Offline
trapper
SteveME  Offline
trapper
S

Maine
Hi,
I having difficulty fleshing and I’m making holes on the edge of the hide. Seems like the belly skin is thinner than the rest of the hide

i see they you use a stirrup scraper. Is that the only tool that you use to flesh your beaver pelts? How sharp do you keep it? Is it razor sharp on one side and duller on the other?

thanks.

Re: Fleshing and stretching [Re: calstefanko] #8104911
03/21/24 09:37 AM
03/21/24 09:37 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Steve What kind of fleshing knife are you using?

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread