Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: HFT AK] #7962197
10/01/23 05:37 PM
10/01/23 05:37 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by HFT AK
white I have seen 9 wire pig tails come undone twice by big mature moose other then that never.

slickpan I assume these are the tree loc's your talking about? Something to consider is if you need to attach a extension cable how will you do it?

[Linked Image]

When it comes to the pigtails IMO they serve two purposes. One when you hang the snare the snare automatically falls straight up and down and you have to do minimal adjustment to the configuration of the snare. The pigtail also serves as a swivel allowing the snare to spin as a critter rolls, helps preserve the integrity of the cable.

As far as having nine wire attached directly to the snare it helps minimize the time your at the set location and gear you have to carry in with you. I can walk right up to a tree unroll my wire and snare adjust the wire to the length I want tie of set snare and turn around and back out.
Using straight cable alot more IMO comes into play. cutting your support wire the right length prior to you walking in or are you carrying the wire and cutters with you? How are you going to do the support wire? Tie off / drill a hole? Are you going to need a long or short extension to secure the snare? Now dont get me wrong there are people that will do all that because that is what they are comfortable with and their system produces for them. There is no wrong way, just the way that works for you.

[Linked Image]

Here is 5ft of cable attached to 5ft of nine wire. Pretty much my set up for everything these days with a few exceptions. I double up on aluminum ferrels for wolves use a 625 lb BAd from Sneddeckers (every snare I hang fox lynx yote wolf has a BAd 625 for wolves 285 for everything else) and a toothed cam loc or a BMI loc. Cam loc's are worthless in the open where I am at with the hore frost but shine in the spruce thickets. When I set this I have to mess around a little to get the snare straight up and down but it only takes me a few seconds.

[Linked Image]

This pic should be close to what your talking about as a set up minus the loc, kill spring, and deer stop?

[Linked Image]

Personally I am not a fan of kill springs. I tried every brand / method. Some love them I don't.

Some really good advice from serious wolfers in the comments above. Over the years I have learned alot from them. I hope you figure out what works best for you and that you connect with a few smile

Thank you for taking the time to post the information and photos.

Last edited by Slick Pan; 10/01/23 05:38 PM.
Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7962201
10/01/23 05:40 PM
10/01/23 05:40 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
slickpan I assume these are the tree loc's your talking about? Something to consider is if you need to attach a extension cable how will you do it?

I was thinking possibly wrapping the tree lock end around a log for a drag if I could not find a tree.

Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7962204
10/01/23 05:45 PM
10/01/23 05:45 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Attaching the other end of the wire to a tree? drag? do you wrap it around and twist it to what ever you are anchoring to?

Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7962336
10/01/23 08:19 PM
10/01/23 08:19 PM
Bush Alaska
victor#0 Offline
trapper
victor#0  Offline
trapper

Bush Alaska
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
Originally Posted by victor#0
I used to use the Thompson wolf lock with 7/64th 1x19 on 5' of #9 wire however I wasn't always happy with the results.

Why?

I don't like jelly heads and I prefer D.O.A.

Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7962373
10/01/23 08:58 PM
10/01/23 08:58 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.

I was thinking possibly wrapping the tree lock end around a log for a drag if I could not find a tree.

A snare on a drag is not a good set up.
You want to anchor to something solid and higher up to set the snare good on the neck.

Last edited by Boco; 10/01/23 08:59 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Boco] #7962719
10/02/23 11:38 AM
10/02/23 11:38 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline OP
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline OP
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Boco

A snare on a drag is not a good set up.
You want to anchor to something solid and higher up to set the snare good on the neck.

Thinking on that I could see why that would not work well.

Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7962720
10/02/23 11:39 AM
10/02/23 11:39 AM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Attaching the other end of the wire to a tree? drag? do you wrap it around and twist it to what ever you are anchoring to?

Exactly

Mean As Nails
Re: Wolf Snare ? [Re: Slick Pan] #7995812
11/16/23 10:18 AM
11/16/23 10:18 AM
Tok, Alaska
N
northway Offline
trapper
northway  Offline
trapper
N

Tok, Alaska
I personally use a variety of snares. I like to have some 10’ snares on hand in case I need to stretch out and reach a spot. I have some of the snares with 5’ of number 9 wire attached, and I also have some 80” snares that I can connect to a 10’ snare to reach spots that take a little more. One thing that frustrates me was not having enough #9 wire to reach a perfect spot! I personally do like the kill springs, but agree that it takes a little more to hide them. I used to buy most of my snares from the snare shop but now have Ted Hansen build what I want until I can slow down enough in life to build my own. Thinking of buying the materials so I can build snares in my office in Juneau!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman