No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994426
11/14/23 03:09 PM
11/14/23 03:09 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Compliance checks: court-approved constitutional and acceptable trade-off for wildlife conservation and public safety issues like boating safety for the minor law enforcement intrusion. Most police agencies won't use these much except for DUI checkpoints, etc...(public safety issue.)

Reasonable Suspicion: officer has reason to believe a crime has been/will be committed. Allows for traffic stops and brief citizen investigative detention. These encounters demand a bit more time for the officer to determine what's what. Courts have ruled these encounters should not be overly long. Some rulings have even stated a time of +/-20 mins...but that is just a general guide based on vehicle traffic stops for traffic violations.

Probable Cause: officer believes a crime was/is being committed. Allows for and is needed for the officer to arrest or obtain warrants based on the violation facts that he now has direct knowledge of. PC encounters, or those that lead up to this level, may require more time for the officer to complete. Issuing a traffic citation at a traffic stop may not require much extra time, but other more complex field investigation might.

Compliance check may lead to reasonable suspicion. RS may lead to PC for issuing a citation or arrest or it may not. EXAMPLE: GW compliance checks hunter parked along road with buck in back of truck. Hunter says he killed the buck and produces the proper licenses. An obvious bloody drag mark is visible leading from the No Hunting side of the roadway to the guy's truck. Officer now has RS that buck was killed in the closed area. Some additional time
is now needed by the officer. The hunter is gonna be briefly detained (not physically arrested) while officer does some quick field investigation., with or without the hunter's cooperation. But the hunter says he shot the buck on the opposite side of road, which is open for hunting, and it ran over to closed side. Hunter shows GW where he shot buck and obvious blood trail...CASE CLOSED. No evidence of a crime = No PC for citation/arrest.

Again, RS may not lead to PC and then the encounter could be terminated. EXAMPLE: GW hears what sounds like duck hunting with unplugged gun. He conducts compliance check and determines all guns have plugs and all have proper licenses and are within bag limits, etc. GW leaves because hunters want to get back to hunting....

A hunter that pukes out the 5th Amendent or says I ain't answering your Nope questions will likely end up posting a "I Hate GWs" post on Tman.

Hope this brief explanation helps..

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994462
11/14/23 04:16 PM
11/14/23 04:16 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Gun plugs are easy to get around just take more than one gun with you. Shoot the first 3 swap guns and empty the 2nd one. I believe that's still legal.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Providence Farm] #7994465
11/14/23 04:19 PM
11/14/23 04:19 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Gun plugs are easy to get around just take more than one gun with you. Shoot the first 3 swap guns and empty the 2nd one. I believe that's still legal.

Yes...perfectly legal.

Or it is in the Peach State of Georgia.

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 11/14/23 04:20 PM.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7994476
11/14/23 04:28 PM
11/14/23 04:28 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Compliance checks: court-approved constitutional and acceptable trade-off for wildlife conservation and public safety issues like boating safety for the minor law enforcement intrusion. Most police agencies won't use these much except for DUI checkpoints, etc...(public safety issue.)

Reasonable Suspicion: officer has reason to believe a crime has been/will be committed. Allows for traffic stops and brief citizen investigative detention. These encounters demand a bit more time for the officer to determine what's what. Courts have ruled these encounters should not be overly long. Some rulings have even stated a time of +/-20 mins...but that is just a general guide based on vehicle traffic stops for traffic violations.

Probable Cause: officer believes a crime was/is being committed. Allows for and is needed for the officer to arrest or obtain warrants based on the violation facts that he now has direct knowledge of. PC encounters, or those that lead up to this level, may require more time for the officer to complete. Issuing a traffic citation at a traffic stop may not require much extra time, but other more complex field investigation might.

Compliance check may lead to reasonable suspicion. RS may lead to PC for issuing a citation or arrest or it may not. EXAMPLE: GW compliance checks hunter parked along road with buck in back of truck. Hunter says he killed the buck and produces the proper licenses. An obvious bloody drag mark is visible leading from the No Hunting side of the roadway to the guy's truck. Officer now has RS that buck was killed in the closed area. Some additional time
is now needed by the officer. The hunter is gonna be briefly detained (not physically arrested) while officer does some quick field investigation., with or without the hunter's cooperation. But the hunter says he shot the buck on the opposite side of road, which is open for hunting, and it ran over to closed side. Hunter shows GW where he shot buck and obvious blood trail...CASE CLOSED. No evidence of a crime = No PC for citation/arrest.

Again, RS may not lead to PC and then the encounter could be terminated. EXAMPLE: GW hears what sounds like duck hunting with unplugged gun. He conducts compliance check and determines all guns have plugs and all have proper licenses and are within bag limits, etc. GW leaves because hunters want to get back to hunting....

A hunter that pukes out the 5th Amendent or says I ain't answering your dam questions will likely end up posting a "I Hate GWs" post on Tman.

What I'm trying to find out is, in your example of, "all guns have plugs and all have proper licenses and are within bag limits, etc." but GW does not leave, rather keeps asking questions over etc. How long do you have to be kept from doing what your out there to do?

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994477
11/14/23 04:29 PM
11/14/23 04:29 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
never had any problem , been checked for tags that was about it

closest thing I ever had to an issue was when they came out with the GO-WILD cards

was out fishing warden rolls up , I hand him my go wild card this was the year after they came out

heard a groan , apparently it was a nice idea but no one asked the wardens if they had cell service sad part you could see the tower just down the river , apparently Madison got them on a service that worked good in Madison and not in the rest of the state

never been checked in the woods for a deer tag they wait at the road mostly

I sure am glad we are done with back tags those were a PAIN keep switching it every time you put on something dry.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7994483
11/14/23 04:38 PM
11/14/23 04:38 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
Originally Posted by The Beav
I have had nothing but good encounters with our COs. In fact I've been an Instructor In the WI DNR warden school.

There was one situation where this female CO got stuck on this property. Well she flagged down the farmer and wanted him to pull her out. He said I'm busy doing some plowing when I get done I'll get you pulled out. She then called a towing service when the tow truck entered the farmers land he turned them away and wouldn't give them permission to to be on his property.

This female warden had a history with screwing over people. She use to sit out on the ice at night and set off your tip ups then wait for the prescribed check time and ticket the fishermen. When we got wind of that we always took the dog with us as a early warning device.
She also use to ticket guys for indecent exosphere when they went behind the shack to relive themselves.
I think she lost her job do to some DWI tickets.

was that Jill?
I have heard some stories about her

No It was Lou Ann. (SP)

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994484
11/14/23 04:39 PM
11/14/23 04:39 PM
Wisconsin
G
Guss Offline
trapper
Guss  Offline
trapper
G

Wisconsin
Wardens need to stay in the office more then in the field. Never meet in the woods trapping .

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994486
11/14/23 04:41 PM
11/14/23 04:41 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Originally Posted by Trapset

A hunter that pukes out the 5th Amendent or says I ain't answering your dam questions will likely end up posting a "I Hate GWs" post on Tman.

What I'm trying to find out is, in your example of, "all guns have plugs and all have proper licenses and are within bag limits, etc." but GW does not leave, rather keeps asking questions over etc. How long do you have to be kept from doing what your out there to do?

Trapset,
All you need to do is ask the GW if he's done and tell him you'd like to get back hunting. You're not required to remain after compliance check if GW has no RS.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994488
11/14/23 04:43 PM
11/14/23 04:43 PM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
I was deer hunting In Wyoming. I was traveling down this 2 track and I came across this game check. They asked me for my license no problem. Then they asked where I shot the deer. I said I shot It west of the road. They said no you shot It east of the road. I said now that I think about It your right.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994489
11/14/23 04:44 PM
11/14/23 04:44 PM
Western Shore Delaware
SJA Offline
trapper
SJA  Offline
trapper

Western Shore Delaware
I believe your answer has already been answered in several posts. GW checks your paperwork, and gun and maybe asks a few general questions, e.g "having / had any luck?" etc. Give him maybe a minute or two more and then tell him to have a nice day and walk away. Any further questions or verbal statements such as "I'm not through talking to you" or "come back here" etc. are not lawful legal "commands". Keep going about your business.

"Humans are the hardest people to get along with."
Dr. Phillip Snow
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Guss] #7994491
11/14/23 05:00 PM
11/14/23 05:00 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Guss
Wardens need to stay in the office more then in the field. Never meet in the woods trapping .

Kinda what happens here. Not a lot of conservation police here and most are tied up doing things like work with an endangered snail or it's habitat. Never been stopped for licence check. Ever.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994495
11/14/23 05:07 PM
11/14/23 05:07 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
I'm cool with showing my permits and a few simple questions. It's when it's the same questions asked five different ways trying to get you to say something they can run with I don't like.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7994497
11/14/23 05:11 PM
11/14/23 05:11 PM
Missouri
O
Osagian Offline
trapper
Osagian  Offline
trapper
O

Missouri
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I sure am glad we are done with back tags those were a PAIN keep switching it every time you put on something dry.

I spent some time in Wisconsin around Camp McCoy in the early 70s.
Deer hunted one fall there and had to wear one of those back tags; looked like a license plate. I hated them. Felt like I was walking around with a target on my back.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994532
11/14/23 05:58 PM
11/14/23 05:58 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
If they fly a helicopter and land near my camp and walk to my camp to ask all these personal questions, where am I walking away to? Should I go hide in my tent? He is the one that has to go away. Should I tell him to go away?

Who is John Galt?
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Dirt] #7994536
11/14/23 06:05 PM
11/14/23 06:05 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Dirt
If they fly a helicopter and land near my camp and walk to my camp to ask all these personal questions, where am I walking away to? Should I go hide in my tent? He is the one that has to go away. Should I tell him to go away?

That’s what happened to a buddy of mine who was staying at a camp in NW Ontario. They asked him about his fish down in the freezer. Then told him not to leave his cabin while they walked around and asked other people in camp if they gave my buddy any fish towards his limit. They had already asked my buddy 5 different ways if he caught his own fish. 45 min later they came back and told him he was ok. My buddy was an older guy so maybe they figured he didn’t catch his own fish? Who knows but it was wrong for sure.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994540
11/14/23 06:10 PM
11/14/23 06:10 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Some of ya'll sure have game warden-itis.

Those guys/gals obviously worry the crap out of some of ya'll.

If you don’t want to talk to 'em...don't.

They're just people...not green goblins....lol!!

B4 I retired, I'd had some good laughs messin' with some of you guys....

Y'all too tense....

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Trapset] #7994541
11/14/23 06:12 PM
11/14/23 06:12 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
Asking about fish is not personal question. Fish overlimit is part of a CO's job. Asking how much he is paying to stay at the camp is a personal question.

Who is John Galt?
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Dirt] #7994542
11/14/23 06:13 PM
11/14/23 06:13 PM
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

Asking about fish is not personal question. Fish overlimit is part of a CO's job. Asking how much he is paying to stay at the camp is a personal question.

Not if the GW is thinking about using your guide service...or recommending it...

Last edited by Swamp Wolf; 11/14/23 06:13 PM.

Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7994548
11/14/23 06:22 PM
11/14/23 06:22 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon

Not if the GW is thinking about using your guide service...or recommending it...

What!? You mean GW's are human?

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Game Warden ?? CAN/US [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7994549
11/14/23 06:24 PM
11/14/23 06:24 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline OP
trapper
Trapset  Offline OP
trapper

Nebraska
Some of ya'll sure have game warden-itis.

Those guys/gals obviously worry the crap out of some of ya'll.

If you don’t want to talk to 'em...don't.

They're just people...not green goblins....lol!!

B4 I retired, I'd had some good laughs messin' with some of you guys....

Y'all too tense....

I didn’t really notice anyone being too tense. I did notice a couple posts that struck me as a bit too defensive whistle

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread