No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #7993709
11/13/23 07:52 PM
11/13/23 07:52 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I keep hearing about all these places that are over run with deer and the poor farmers plight that the trophy hunter s won't take doe.

1 where are they at I have 2 boys that will gladly shoot doe. 2. It's hard to have sympathy for them if they are taking money for them to lease the ground and not letting people like me with kids hunt and take care of their problems. Wine about the deer, take money from people that won't cull the deer, won't let people that will cull the deer do so. Cry me a river.

Providence, I do not feel a bit sorry for the guys that lease out their ground to the hunters either. Fact is there are little guys like me that are surrounded by these leased grounds. We are the ones that are hurt the most by the overpopulation. I refuse to lease my ground as it is one of the few places around that a young person can still ask permission and hunt or fish. All I ask is they leave no trash or ruts behind. So in simple words I am not getting a dime from the hunters, but I get to suffer the consequences of being surrounded by leased ground and the lack of management that go along with it. The area I am in is eastern KS. I don't expect with gas prices it is doable, but I have yet to turn away a young person that asks permission and respects my no trash no ruts rule.

That makes more since now you expanded it. Looks like about 8.5 hr drive and your gun season come in late. I'm using my last 3 vacation days starting tomorrow. I need to get educated on the non resident youth license needed. I really enjoy taking the kids to new areas. I had I known they could be helpful I would have planed accordingly.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993722
11/13/23 08:07 PM
11/13/23 08:07 PM
western mn
B
bucksnbears Offline
trapper
bucksnbears  Offline
trapper
B

western mn
Andrew, sad but true.

swampgas chili and schmidt beer makes for a deadly combo

You have to remember that 1 out of 3 Democratic Voters is just as dumb as the other two.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993734
11/13/23 08:19 PM
11/13/23 08:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Most places that lease the leaser must have insurance. To let just anyone on your property can open you up to lawsuits. Even the place we work/hunt/trap/fish we have to sign a waiver and I’m an employee. Used to you could just about hunt anywhere. When lawsuits started, that ended. Heck, they tried to sue a plantation owner because some yankee from Atlanta hit a deer on the highway. They looked out a saw green fields and said they were food plots for deer and if he hadn’t planted them then the deer wouldn’t have crossed the road. Of course they didn’t win and his lawyers made them regret filing, but that the kind of junk landowners have to deal with. And this landowner makes his employees kill between 80-120 a year.
Unless you’re “known” you’re not getting permission or even leasing. When we’re in killing mode, we’ll take the rifles and kill 5-10 a sit. It’s not hunting at that point, it’s just management.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993751
11/13/23 08:29 PM
11/13/23 08:29 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
if you get sued for letting someone hunt its time to shoot a lawyer

Last edited by danny clifton; 11/13/23 08:30 PM.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: danny clifton] #7993766
11/13/23 08:41 PM
11/13/23 08:41 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Our regulations book used to have a waver/ hunting permission slip on it to use to put Lang owners at ease. I have not looked in one of the printed book in a few years to know if they are still there never used one.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Wanna Be] #7993775
11/13/23 08:50 PM
11/13/23 08:50 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Most places that lease the leaser must have insurance. To let just anyone on your property can open you up to lawsuits. Even the place we work/hunt/trap/fish we have to sign a waiver and I’m an employee. Used to you could just about hunt anywhere. When lawsuits started, that ended. Heck, they tried to sue a plantation owner because some yankee from Atlanta hit a deer on the highway. They looked out a saw green fields and said they were food plots for deer and if he hadn’t planted them then the deer wouldn’t have crossed the road. Of course they didn’t win and his lawyers made them regret filing, but that the kind of junk landowners have to deal with. And this landowner makes his employees kill between 80-120 a year.
Unless you’re “known” you’re not getting permission or even leasing. When we’re in killing mode, we’ll take the rifles and kill 5-10 a sit. It’s not hunting at that point, it’s just management.

Here an owner can open his land up to the public. In that program, he is safe from being sued. If a land owner receives money to let people hunt, the land owner needs insurance

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Providence Farm] #7993783
11/13/23 08:57 PM
11/13/23 08:57 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by danny clifton

Our regulations book used to have a waver/ hunting permission slip on it to use to put Lang owners at ease. I have not looked in one of the printed book in a few years to know if they are still there never used one.

Most states already have laws protecting landowners from liability for recreational activities they allow on their land. Every so often people try to scare landowners about the liability thing if they signed a permission slip.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993789
11/13/23 09:01 PM
11/13/23 09:01 PM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
You should live here in eastern Virginia. Those hunt clubs here have no problem turning their dogs lose on your property and killing deer when they run off your property. But hey, it's all ethical right?

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #7993829
11/13/23 09:31 PM
11/13/23 09:31 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
I keep hearing about all these places that are over run with deer and the poor farmers plight that the trophy hunter s won't take doe.

1 where are they at I have 2 boys that will gladly shoot doe. 2. It's hard to have sympathy for them if they are taking money for them to lease the ground and not letting people like me with kids hunt and take care of their problems. Wine about the deer, take money from people that won't cull the deer, won't let people that will cull the deer do so. Cry me a river.

Providence, I do not feel a bit sorry for the guys that lease out their ground to the hunters either. Fact is there are little guys like me that are surrounded by these leased grounds. We are the ones that are hurt the most by the overpopulation. I refuse to lease my ground as it is one of the few places around that a young person can still ask permission and hunt or fish. All I ask is they leave no trash or ruts behind. So in simple words I am not getting a dime from the hunters, but I get to suffer the consequences of being surrounded by leased ground and the lack of management that go along with it. The area I am in is eastern KS. I don't expect with gas prices it is doable, but I have yet to turn away a young person that asks permission and respects my no trash no ruts rule.

Thank you Andrew. You're a good man.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993831
11/13/23 09:33 PM
11/13/23 09:33 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I have a good story about wardens thinking they were making a huge bust but it was a dead end. No energy now though.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993861
11/13/23 09:51 PM
11/13/23 09:51 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Mando, KS has a walk in hunting program where we can open our land up to hunters also. This program sounds great and all, but it takes away the landowners ability to tell a slob to leave. I had looked into it myself, but after seeing what some of the folks utilizing the program are like I decided to not participate. The 80 acres bordering my back line is enrolled in the program and lets just say I have seen some down right slobs on that property. I like to have the ability to tell folks to leave and never come back if they break the no trash no rut rule, get into arguments with another hunter, flip me off for checking traps on my own place, or any other activity that I find unsafe or offensive.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7994021
11/14/23 02:14 AM
11/14/23 02:14 AM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Poachers are cheap. They don't shell out for suppressors and thermals. If they did, they'd be a lot harder to catch.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: sneaky] #7994030
11/14/23 03:10 AM
11/14/23 03:10 AM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by sneaky
Poachers are cheap. They don't shell out for suppressors and thermals. If they did, they'd be a lot harder to catch.

If they did buy that stuff, it would definitely get confiscated if they got caught.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7994056
11/14/23 06:33 AM
11/14/23 06:33 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
A few years ago Nebr G&P saw an unusual number of stands from their airplane on my BILs farm. Thought sure they had found an illegal operation. It's a mile from KS so they were certain they were hunting in KS too. 2nd day of season they raided the place, including suits from the office in Lincoln hoping for a photo op, NE wardens and KS wardens. BIL and my Sister had leased the place to hunters from NY and they had put up a.buttload of stands. The only violation they found was a 17 yr old boy sitting 198 yds from a pile of spilled corn so they wrote his Mom a ticket as the boy told them he wanted to be a warden for a career. If you have a game violation on your record you can't be a warden. So after that hullabaloo a warden drove back 70 miles to present the 50 dollar ticket to the County Attorney. My Sister worked for the attorney and she said " oh, I heard you visited one of our farms yesterday ". laugh

Last edited by Gary Benson; 11/14/23 06:35 AM.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7994695
11/14/23 09:43 PM
11/14/23 09:43 PM
Illinois
foxkidd44 Offline
trapper
foxkidd44  Offline
trapper

Illinois
I would have no qualms about someone popping a deer illegally if they seriously needed the meat and didn’t have other resources to get food.
But this is stealing , plain as day, not stealing from the state ( which I always think as absurd) but stealing from the sportsmen/women who have spent countless thousands of dollars on permits, tags, habitat restoration, etc.
This person wasn’t starving, and probably had an illegal market for the meat.

Stand by your principles, Stand by your guns, and victory complete and permanent is sure at last.
Abraham Lincoln
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: foxkidd44] #7994704
11/14/23 09:51 PM
11/14/23 09:51 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by foxkidd44
I would have no qualms about someone popping a deer illegally if they seriously needed the meat and didn’t have other resources to get food.
But this is stealing , plain as day, not stealing from the state ( which I always think as absurd) but stealing from the sportsmen/women who have spent countless thousands of dollars on permits, tags, habitat restoration, etc.

Public trust doctrine. Wildlife is owned by the public, held in trust by the State.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7994755
11/14/23 10:45 PM
11/14/23 10:45 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Originally Posted by foxkidd44

Public trust doctrine. Wildlife is owned by the public, held in trust by the State.

But the public nor the government want to take liability when one of their deer are in the road and get hit by a car. My wifes aunt was killed hitting a deer on a motorcycle. But if it were my cow, horse ,or.... that was in the road I would be liable.

Wonder if the government claimed the ground house that wiped out my 1/4 acre pumpkin patch or the coons that got my sweet corn and chickens? If so we need to talk.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 11/14/23 10:46 PM.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7994819
11/14/23 11:43 PM
11/14/23 11:43 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Gary Benson
A few years ago Nebr G&P saw an unusual number of stands from their airplane on my BILs farm. Thought sure they had found an illegal operation. It's a mile from KS so they were certain they were hunting in KS too. 2nd day of season they raided the place, including suits from the office in Lincoln hoping for a photo op, NE wardens and KS wardens. BIL and my Sister had leased the place to hunters from NY and they had put up a.buttload of stands. The only violation they found was a 17 yr old boy sitting 198 yds from a pile of spilled corn so they wrote his Mom a ticket as the boy told them he wanted to be a warden for a career. If you have a game violation on your record you can't be a warden. So after that hullabaloo a warden drove back 70 miles to present the 50 dollar ticket to the County Attorney. My Sister worked for the attorney and she said " oh, I heard you visited one of our farms yesterday ". laugh

I remember when that happened. I heard the stand was over 200 yards from a feeder but the feeder threw the bait to 198 yards from stand. Is that how it went down Gary?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread