No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: pintail_drake04] #7992789
11/12/23 01:55 PM
11/12/23 01:55 PM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by pintail_drake04
Originally Posted by Mando
How soon before daylight? I let some ducks go one minute before shooting hours. Would one minute really make me a poacher?

I have a friend who is fairly by the book. He said his phone showed shooting light and shot a gadwall on the water. Apparently, the game warden using his watch disagreed. Wrote him a ticket for 1 minute before shooting light.

That's why I don't mess around. Follow the rules to the "T".

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: claycreech] #7992793
11/12/23 02:02 PM
11/12/23 02:02 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
Originally Posted by claycreech
Brilliant.
Job security for the guys in green.
Every game warden……strike that, many game wardens, should write a book. The title of a chapter in every one of them would be, “When People Lose Their Mind During Deer Season “.

Isn't that the Truth

olden tyred
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Diggerman] #7992795
11/12/23 02:04 PM
11/12/23 02:04 PM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Originally Posted by Diggerman
I had a friend from the UP that swears he didnt know you could hunt deer during the day untill he was 17.

That’s funny!

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7992804
11/12/23 02:13 PM
11/12/23 02:13 PM
Worthington, IN
S
Scott T Offline
trapper
Scott T  Offline
trapper
S

Worthington, IN
If I called in every time that I heard shooting they would quit answering my calls. I’m good with do the crime, do the time but why call in just because you heard someone shoot? Must be more to the story.

Looks like he needs another year;-)
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993036
11/12/23 07:38 PM
11/12/23 07:38 PM
Adirondacks, N.Y.
T
trapdye Offline
trapper
trapdye  Offline
trapper
T

Adirondacks, N.Y.
I guess they feel safer with the season open, possession before the sun comes up when most game wardens are out & about is not smart. First week of rifle season, some guys got caught about to dump deer parts in plastic bags along a rual road, They had five different deer, all doe's & durning rifle, no doe's aloud during rifle season. They tried to claim they were taken during muzzle season, but all still had tags unfilled for muzzle.

John's Nuisance Wildlife Control
If you like what you do for a living, It's better than a vacation. Most days.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993058
11/12/23 08:23 PM
11/12/23 08:23 PM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline OP
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline OP
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Details will becoming soonly.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993081
11/12/23 09:01 PM
11/12/23 09:01 PM
Nebraska
J
Jkme Offline
trapper
Jkme  Offline
trapper
J

Nebraska
Glad they nabbed him. Too much of that crap goes on.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Wanna Be] #7993087
11/12/23 09:13 PM
11/12/23 09:13 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Y’all got some real good eyes up there. There’s some mornings even 30min before sunrise I couldn’t tell you if it’s a buck or a doe. It was the same with ducks, all I could tell you is it was a duck, lol.

Shooting times are the same here but in the woods or down in the draws you cant see anything till past shooting time starts. In the fields "daylight" comes a bit quicker.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993108
11/12/23 10:01 PM
11/12/23 10:01 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Well I bet the guy in the article has a different definition of shooting light and his plugs in or uses battery's.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 11/13/23 06:07 AM. Reason: My normal horrible grammar and hurried typing.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993130
11/12/23 10:30 PM
11/12/23 10:30 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Don't shoot the kings deer. whistle Sorry, I may be out of line, but I don't see any big horns in that pic. If someone was shooting deer for food around her I expect the locals would give them a thank you. I know not every place is the same, but we are overrun with deer and the leasers only shoot "that trophy buck". SMDH Someone needs to be killing the overburden that destroy crops and spread disease or even the big trophy deer will eventually be gone.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Andrew Eastwood] #7993185
11/13/23 12:02 AM
11/13/23 12:02 AM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Don't shoot the kings deer. whistle Sorry, I may be out of line, but I don't see any big horns in that pic. If someone was shooting deer for food around her I expect the locals would give them a thank you. I know not every place is the same, but we are overrun with deer and the leasers only shoot "that trophy buck". SMDH Someone needs to be killing the overburden that destroy crops and spread disease or even the big trophy deer will eventually be gone.

As a game warden for 27 years, I tried to find a "needy family" that wanted the meat from seized deer and other game. Never found one. Found several folks that wanted game ....mostly after it was processed, but never a truly needy family. I even discreetly made a concerned effort to do so....so I could maintain a very private list for my officers to work from. I utilized all known available local outlets....sheriff's offices, DFACs, Senior Citizen's Center, etc.....

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993251
11/13/23 06:55 AM
11/13/23 06:55 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Today folks just sign up for food stamps.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993320
11/13/23 08:39 AM
11/13/23 08:39 AM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Swamp wolf, I do understand the lack of folks willing to help themselves. The local wardens used to have people on a list like you talked about, but those folks was usually older folks that would work up the deer themselves. As those folks have died off over the years I don't know that the list has gotten any new names added. I used to have a few widow women around town that I would take fish and game meat to, but sadly they are gone now too. Like Danny mentioned it is to easy to get free stuff and no one wants to put any effort into helping themselves now days.
All I was getting at is, in this area we are now overrun with deer to the point they are a problem. These trophy hunters that have tied up the land refuse to help the problem by shooting does or allowing anyone else to do so either. The few pieces of ground that are not under lease have hunters stacked on top of one another. Those particular farmers would not likely say a word if a hunter took a few extra does. I can remember when folks hunted deer to put food in the freezer, but the demographic has changed to horn hunting and there just isn't enough people hunting for food to manage the deer herd properly around here. I know with this excess population we have had several runs of disease come through the past few years and it dose wipe out the population for a short time, but it is short term and only hurts the trophy hunters as the older bucks seem to be the first to go. I don't know what it will take to get things straitened back out, but I am certain it will include killing of lots of does to manage the population. Teaching the younger people how to process there own meat and encouraging the use of game meat as a great opportunity to overcome grocery store prices would seem to be a solution, but folks have gotten to dang lazy and food stamps are to easily acquired for this to likely work.

Sorry, I had no intention of hijacking the op, just hit a nerve. I had to change my farming practices on this small piece of ground a few years back because of the huge deer population.
Now I am off to work so I can do my part to pay for all them food stamps.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Swamp Wolf] #7993332
11/13/23 08:51 AM
11/13/23 08:51 AM
Va
S
Spike369 Offline
trapper
Spike369  Offline
trapper
S

Va
Originally Posted by Swamp Wolf
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood

As a game warden for 27 years, I tried to find a "needy family" that wanted the meat from seized deer and other game. Never found one. Found several folks that wanted game ....mostly after it was processed, but never a truly needy family. I even discreetly made a concerned effort to do so....so I could maintain a very private list for my officers to work from. I utilized all known available local outlets....sheriff's offices, DFACs, Senior Citizen's Center, etc.....

I used to process deer for "hunters for hungry". I picked up quite a few deer from our local game wardens. When I had a freezer full we had churches and food banks come pick it up and distribute it. Had to quit when Obama signed a law that said my house could be inspected anytime the FDA felt like it because now I'm considered a meat packing plant. I still see a lot of those folks. They ask me about the meat. I tell them and they still vote Democrat. Can't figure it out. It's like biting the hand that feeds ya.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993338
11/13/23 09:02 AM
11/13/23 09:02 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
We can usually find enough folks to take our deer. Some request a certain processor and will call in to tell them what they want. Some want the whole deer intact and process it themselves.
We have 3 processors in our county that all take excess deer as they have a waiting list as well. The processors can get rid of those deer, but it’s the out of state hunters that don’t pick their deer up when ready which causes our processors to shut down at various times because they’re full.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: danny clifton] #7993467
11/13/23 12:50 PM
11/13/23 12:50 PM
Wyoming
wytex Offline
trapper
wytex  Offline
trapper

Wyoming
Originally Posted by danny clifton
maybe, just maybe, the person calling it in was lying. does not like hunting. especially from furiners. didn't say anything about le hearing the shots and knowing who shot them.

Maybe they were sick and tired of poachers and did the right thing by calling in.
Knowing who shot them? , the guys in possession shot them I'm betting.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993512
11/13/23 01:46 PM
11/13/23 01:46 PM
Kentucky
A
Abu65 Offline
trapper
Abu65  Offline
trapper
A

Kentucky
If you aint first your last.

It is what it is.
Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Gary Benson] #7993518
11/13/23 01:51 PM
11/13/23 01:51 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
I keep hearing about all these places that are over run with deer and the poor farmers plight that the trophy hunter s won't take doe.

1 where are they at I have 2 boys that will gladly shoot doe. 2. It's hard to have sympathy for them if they are taking money for them to lease the ground and not letting people like me with kids hunt and take care of their problems. Wine about the deer, take money from people that won't cull the deer, won't let people that will cull the deer do so. Cry me a river.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Providence Farm] #7993524
11/13/23 02:00 PM
11/13/23 02:00 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I keep hearing about all these places that are over run with deer and the poor farmers plight that the trophy hunter s won't take doe.

1 where are they at I have 2 boys that will gladly shoot doe. 2. It's hard to have sympathy for them if they are taking money for them to lease the ground and not letting people like me with kids hunt and take care of their problems. Wine about the deer, take money from people that won't cull the deer, won't let people that will cull the deer do so. Cry me a river.

They really need to write the leases so the hunters have to earn a buck. Or at least write the leases for short term hunting priviledges so they can get locals to hunt after they go home.

Re: Deer poacher in NE this morning [Re: Providence Farm] #7993692
11/13/23 07:19 PM
11/13/23 07:19 PM
Fontana KS
A
Andrew Eastwood Offline
trapper
Andrew Eastwood  Offline
trapper
A

Fontana KS
Originally Posted by Providence Farm

Providence, I do not feel a bit sorry for the guys that lease out their ground to the hunters either. Fact is there are little guys like me that are surrounded by these leased grounds. We are the ones that are hurt the most by the overpopulation. I refuse to lease my ground as it is one of the few places around that a young person can still ask permission and hunt or fish. All I ask is they leave no trash or ruts behind. So in simple words I am not getting a dime from the hunters, but I get to suffer the consequences of being surrounded by leased ground and the lack of management that go along with it. The area I am in is eastern KS. I don't expect with gas prices it is doable, but I have yet to turn away a young person that asks permission and respects my no trash no ruts rule.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread