No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991790
11/11/23 09:33 AM
11/11/23 09:33 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Mando my wife was born without her since of smell. Stands to reason like people some are more cautious, others careless, some aggressive, some layed back. Some people are blind other have great vision.

I'm of the opinion animals also run the same spectrum but to a lesser extent since the careless ones get removed from genetic pool. So maybe they don't care or maybe their nose is not as good as it should be could be a touch of both.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: Providence Farm] #7991791
11/11/23 09:34 AM
11/11/23 09:34 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
And in the end these discussions almost always end like this. I say I do it, someone says I am a liar. I just smile and carry on.

I would never call you a lier becues it works for you and you believe you are sent free. How do you become sent free and eliminate your sent you are exhaling and all the millions of skin cells your sheading with each step?. I suppose I'm a stickler for wording. Yes you can reduce your sent, ie not stoping at the gas station and walking in the spilled diesel on your way to hunt and not using scented soap and laundry detergent and staying clean ie no not taking a bath for several days. But you are and never will be able to be sent free. You said as much in one of your reply. But when you say you do the sent free thing it's very misleading to those that don't understand the difference. Like those that don't know the difference between bait and lure.

I turned the alarm off and stayed in bed next to my wife this morning( much nicer listing to her breathing piece fully sleeping than siting in a stand when I'm away at work so much of the year. It's the little things) . Talk about not spooking any deer.

Why would you be worried about diesel fuel when every piece of equipment running through the field runs off of it?

Too many things combined to pick out one as the reason they avoid you. Take the video I posted the other day. Would that deer have bolted when he crossed my scent if I hadn’t spent 4 minutes videoing him? If I had just gone to the cabin without stopping he probably wouldn’t even have cared.

It feels good to think they are deathly afraid of humans and their scent when you are hunting farm raised deer but that’s not really the case is it.

-Goofy-
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991792
11/11/23 09:35 AM
11/11/23 09:35 AM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
I don't believe you can become scent free. I do believe you can get it to a level where it's not alarming.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991795
11/11/23 09:37 AM
11/11/23 09:37 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

For the record, anybody who thinks they are scent free has never dated. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991798
11/11/23 09:41 AM
11/11/23 09:41 AM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
To the people that preach play the wind. How do you get your deer to only come from one direction. Where I hunt they can come from any direction. What do you do when a deer you don't want to shoot comes from upwind and walks by you? It is now downwind.

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: larrywaugh] #7991802
11/11/23 09:46 AM
11/11/23 09:46 AM
midland, michigan
M
midlander Offline
trapper
midlander  Offline
trapper
M

midland, michigan
Originally Posted by larrywaugh
I don't believe you can become scent free. I do believe you can get it to a level where it's not alarming.

Exactly! Thats what loosanarrow is essentially saying and i agree 100%. They know something is there, and you may get a second glance in your direction, but they are not alarmed. Once you have a routine, its not a big bother and it makes a huge differnce. If youd rather go out smelling like a stank pot and it works for you, carry on...

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: larrywaugh] #7991805
11/11/23 09:48 AM
11/11/23 09:48 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline OP
"Chippendale Trapper"
"Chippendale Trapper"

To the people that preach play the wind. How do you get your deer to only come from one direction. Where I hunt they can come from any direction. What do you do when a deer you don't want to shoot comes from upwind and walks by you? It is now downwind.

You don’t. As for them getting by you, they may smell you but not know where it’s coming from. Deer cross the street all the time in between houses, was it the people 20yards away or the ones 200yards?

You scent free guys ever farted while in a stand or walking to one, especially you old guys? Tell the truth. lol

-Goofy-
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: 330-Trapper] #7991809
11/11/23 09:50 AM
11/11/23 09:50 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Deer Dander ...by Fitsgerald is the best I've used

Yes…that’s good stuff too. It’s right up there next to BowHunters Obsession.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: larrywaugh] #7991824
11/11/23 09:59 AM
11/11/23 09:59 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia

I’m sitting in the stand as I type and just had a deer come “downwind” according to what I feel and the powder showed me. A nice 9pt but not the one I’m after. I dropped a tuft of thermal checker and my wind blows directly to where that deer came from for about 30yds then takes a hard West direction. Lay of the land, brush, trees, etc all play a factor in being smelled or not.

Cover scent, (Deer Dander, BowHunters Obsession) helps mask that scent to where if he did catch it or and does that come through, they aren’t going to blow and raise cane in my observations. They’re just going to back out the way they came without too much disturbance.

When I hunt, I have trails upwind of me I’m “hoping” the deer use. Do they “always” use them, nope. Unfortunately I hunt way more than I kill, lol.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991844
11/11/23 10:14 AM
11/11/23 10:14 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana

Why would you be worried about diesel fuel when every piece of equipment running through the field runs off of it?

Too many things combined to pick out one as the reason they avoid you. Take the video I posted the other day. Would that deer have bolted when he crossed my scent if I hadn’t spent 4 minutes videoing him? If I had just gone to the cabin without stopping he probably wouldn’t even have cared.

It feels good to think they are deathly afraid of humans and their scent when you are hunting farm raised deer but that’s not really the case is it.
[/quote]

It was one example a lot of the I'm sent free crowd often misses. And yes things run on diesel but farm equipment only runs now and then and the smell would be associated with equipment not a trail running through a beding area.

Also often over looked by many. NOT everyone has the same crop fields they hunt as other people. I grew up hunting crop fields with tree lines on the ditches connecting small woods. Now I often hint big woods in steep hills with 300' elevation changes. There are many less deer per mile and they are way more sensitive to sent in the big woods than farm land deer. Thermals must be paid attention to. I will 2nd using milkweed especially where there are hills and Thermals. I have had the wind in my face and had deer blow out. Flat some milkweed to find the air swirl and go right back to the deer with a steady breeze in my face from the deer to me. It has been a a learning experience to say the least.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991849
11/11/23 10:18 AM
11/11/23 10:18 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Wannabe- not saying I am scent free, Im saying the deer don’t spook.

And here is something neither you nor the scent control industry will like - the only products I buy that you don’t are scent free soap, and hydrogen peroxide. No scentlok clothes, no ozone stuff, none of that.

I do have clothes that I never wear unless freshly showered for the hunt, but you wear clothes also I assume.

After decades of getting busted and spooking them, it stopped. I don’t need fluff or favorable thermals or any other explanation- it is clear that I have my scent below what would spook them. Even when I am on the ground 20 yards upwind. I never said I had no scent- some deer even clearly smell me or “something” - but I repeat, they don’t spook.

Funny thing about telling someone they can’t do something- if they are doing it you are wrong. Believe it or not, I don’t care. I am used to having people not believe me. They are, of course, always people who have never done it….

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991855
11/11/23 10:28 AM
11/11/23 10:28 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Online content
trapper
Wanna Be  Online Content
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Ok you win. My offer still stands for marketing though.
And no, I don’t have any fancy stuff. Yes I wear clothes that are washed and stored scent free. Yes I’m particular about my footwear. Yes I’ve had deer downwind without a care in the world. Yes I’ve had mature deer cross my trail and not spook.
NO I’ve never had a mature deer, hogs, or coyotes get downwind of me and not spook. So my marketing offer still stands. We could have the monopoly on deer, hog, and predator hunting industry.

I will say this, wind vs calm days, ground vs tree hunting, humidity and even height in a tree, all determine whether “I’m” detected or not.

Edited to add where the mix up may come in is what I consider Mature. It’s not antler size because my son has a documented 3.5yr old 154” on the wall.
I call a deer Mature if he’s reached 5.5yrs old and above. Yes, a 4.5yr old and even a 3.5yr old can kick your butt, but they still aren’t Mature.

Last edited by Wanna Be; 11/11/23 10:42 AM.
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: larrywaugh] #7991858
11/11/23 10:33 AM
11/11/23 10:33 AM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI

That's a belief though. Not a fact. Lots of times when we find something that worked once, we tend to believe. I'm guilty of it.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991872
11/11/23 11:03 AM
11/11/23 11:03 AM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Yeah it’s a hot debate. Im not really trying to win anything, I am just saying that I can indeed get my scent level down to where it doesn’t spook deer. Yes I shed skin cells like everyone, but those skin cells must be stripped of the oils and stuff that smell like something that spooks them.

You say I’m one in trillion but others do it on a regular basis. You just don’t believe us for some reason. And we are not inexperienced hunters with no “before” to compare to the “after”.

It’s something I have gotten used to - people say all kinds of things about why it might appear to work sometimes or individual deer not caring, on and on. What I am telling you, and you can just believe me or not, is that after decades of getting busted nearly every time deer get downwind, I managed to lower my scent to the point that deer just don’t spook from my scent anymore. It is what it is, and I know because I have done it.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: Wanna Be] #7991878
11/11/23 11:11 AM
11/11/23 11:11 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I call a deer Mature if he’s reached 5.5yrs old and above. Yes, a 4.5yr old and even a 3.5yr old can kick your butt, but they still aren’t Mature.

That's the part that doesn't seem fair.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: loosanarrow] #7991893
11/11/23 11:24 AM
11/11/23 11:24 AM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by loosanarrow
Yeah it’s a hot debate. Im not really trying to win anything, I am just saying that I can indeed get my scent level down to where it doesn’t spook deer. Yes I shed skin cells like everyone, but those skin cells must be stripped of the oils and stuff that smell like something that spooks them.

You say I’m one in trillion but others do it on a regular basis. You just don’t believe us for some reason. And we are not inexperienced hunters with no “before” to compare to the “after”.

It’s something I have gotten used to - people say all kinds of things about why it might appear to work sometimes or individual deer not caring, on and on. What I am telling you, and you can just believe me or not, is that after decades of getting busted nearly every time deer get downwind, I managed to lower my scent to the point that deer just don’t spook from my scent anymore. It is what it is, and I know because I have done it.

Because science had proven you wrong. Lol

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: Posco] #7991895
11/11/23 11:26 AM
11/11/23 11:26 AM
WI
M
Mando Offline
trapper
Mando  Offline
trapper
M

WI
Originally Posted by Posco
Originally Posted by Wanna Be

That's the part that doesn't seem fair.

Most people have never even seen a 3 1/2 year old or older. Most deer shot are 2 1/2 or younger.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: Mando] #7991902
11/11/23 11:38 AM
11/11/23 11:38 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by Mando
Most people have never even seen a 3 1/2 year old or older. Most deer shot are 2 1/2 or younger.

Not many chinks in their armor once they have two three seasons under their belt.

Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991916
11/11/23 12:05 PM
11/11/23 12:05 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Aaaand here we are. I do it and I know it. Others say I don’t and can’t. It was a forgone conclusion when the discussion started. I do still participate in the conversation, even knowing how it will go. Science can just keep proving me wrong, and I will just keep ignoring the wind and arrowing deer upwind, downwind, and all around. Which was not the case before I started lowering my scent level. I know you don’t believe me, and that’s OK.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Cover Scent Thread [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7991925
11/11/23 12:15 PM
11/11/23 12:15 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
The part I don't get is guys storing their gear "scent free" for a month before the opener. That's well and good for your first foray, but once you wear them, they're contaminated.

I wash my clothes and shower between every hunt. Use the hunters soaps and hair wash, spray my clothes and boots. That gives me a shot at getting to a stand undetected. At least I think it does. I have stands for different winds.

I'm looking for olfactory challenged deer that are nearsighted and hard of hearing.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread