No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7981291
10/28/23 12:31 AM
10/28/23 12:31 AM
South Dakota
T
TheYouthTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TheYouthTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
error on showing them the Fluffier side , like soft furs and not skinning, tell them how long good fur garments last , how fast muskrats reproduce and how warm fur is as a traffic renewable resource make them feel good about the idea of wearing fur. Would you rather wear cloths made from oil that wear out in a year or two or renewable fur that lasts often decades.

I am tired of women who feel afraid to wear fur , it is sad , I hear things like it is old it is vintage I got it from my great aunt trying to get people to understand they didn't kill the animals to avoid judgment.
Women nor men should ever have to make excuses or qualify their fur wearing it is a reenable natural resource actually good for the environment , it is warm and lasts a very long time. and it is the anti fur people spewing lies and pushing an agenda based on lies.

if I see someone wearing fur to tell them that is a very nice garment and that I am happy to see people wearing such a long lasting garment made from a green renewable resource.

muskrat math is always a fun one

a few common traps

if you can take a clean foot hold like a 1 1/2 2 coil or long spring and a cotton glove , look them in the eye and don't flinch as you jam your hand in the trap so it catches the meat of your fingers , this demo makes a lot of bologna believers question their belief hard. practice it at home and know how to get yourself out of it .

if you with a cotton glove on your hand can jam your hand in a trap , an animal that literally runs full speed on gravel with such tuff paws as to not even be bothered by it , why it wouldn't be any issue at all.

if you have any pictures of animals calmly laying there foot in a trap waiting for check , people envision exactly the opposite.

your not trying to win people over to go trapping your trying to plant some good ideas in their head that we are not the bad guy , that trappers are good people and excellent stewards of the land , because half of them have some jaded by false information opinion of trapping planted by domestic terrorists and main stream media.

maybe talk about trapping protecting nesting sites for bird production. if you spot a bird hunter in the crowd.

What's muskrat math? But again all good points, going to incorporate some of these into it.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Moosetrot] #7981293
10/28/23 12:34 AM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Some ideas...

I like the idea of having a couple traps that you can stick your hand into....without wincing or fear on your face. I was involved in changing the regulations to allow rat and mink trapping during the duck season, something that was outlawed here in the Mississippi Zone for many years. I did a presentation in front of the Natural Resources Board, and when it came to the topic of hunting dogs being injured I stuck my hand in a 1.5 long spring and a 110 coni to show that they would hold the animal but not injure it. Some of them certainly winced and cringed but I got the point across that dogs will not be harmed by common legal trapping methods and equipment.

Through that effort and the work of many other trappers we now can start rat and mink trapping here on the Mississippi in early November.

I would also suggest you bring some examples of sign or tracks that you set on. Engage the kids, especially, in some sort of track identification activity. Get across the message that trapping is a viable management tool. Many of the BMP's are the result of trappers wanting to utilize the equipment and methods to allow safe, human, and ethical trapping.

Take along your bucket or trap basket with your tools, etc. in there. Show that getting into trapping does not have to be an expensive venture. Pleanty of used stuff out there.

You may want to be prepared for the inevitable comments about someone's dog getting caught, etc. Talk to them about avoidance of areas and methods that sometimes result in non-target catches

Talk to them about getting permission and respect for landowners.

If we had more time I would bet some on here could offer a lot of ideas or stuff you could use. IF ANYONE FROM YOUR STATE TRAPPING ASSOCIATION IS ANYWHERE NEAR THEY COULD RING IN SOME OTHER STUFF.

If you wind up doing this again give us a little notice and I would bet we could set you up very well.

Good luck and have fun! Let us know how it goes!

Moosetrot

Yes this was kind of a last minute wing it type of deal and I wish I had planned a bit more. Definitely prepared for the dog comments, etc. Thank you I will!

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Moosetrot] #7981294
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
Also take along a copy of your trapping regulations.

Moosetrot

Yep, that's the plan to have the official book with me.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Slick Pan] #7981295
10/28/23 12:37 AM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Slick Pan
The question is are you doing this on your own or representing an organization? Did someone ask you or did you think it was a good idea to do it yourself ? Where is the location. A bigger city I would assume. Small traps like a 110,1&1/2 coil and a small long spring. No snares. Nothing large and nothing set. If you can find a garment like a coon skin hat. Furs like fox, skunk ,coyote, beaver, muskrat, otter. A pack basket, sifter, trowel. A display of trapping magazines

This is all on my own, the person who runs it asked me to do it. It's a town of about 1,000 people according to Google, I've never heard of this so it's kind of a whole new experience for me in all.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Law Dog] #7981296
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Originally Posted by Law Dog
Beware of the old cat lady ambush just tell the truth, be polite and keep you cool beat her with facts and nothing else don’t become the problem.

Yeah, hopefully I don't have to but I'm prepared if the situation arises.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Slick Pan] #7981297
10/28/23 12:38 AM
10/28/23 12:38 AM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
If you can? bring a friend or girlfriend (better) so you can take a break. Dress normal.

Tried to bring the girlfriend but she has to work so on my own for this.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Wolfdog91] #7981298
10/28/23 12:42 AM
10/28/23 12:42 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Just remember that most people arnt trappers and what we consider normal isn't to most people even other outdoorsmen , also be prepared for other type sof outdoors men to look down on you a bit , seen it happen a good bit when I helped out at tables my association put on . Just having some foot holds would have people saying stuff about broken legs and the like these are other outdoorsmen remind you.
Bring some nicer looking stuff , old rusty traps give a bad looks to most.
One really good thing you can do that will change minds very quickly is to accidentally snap your hand in a trap. Have one set on the table and while your talking accidentally put your hand in it or something. Stuff like that just makes people go " well dang he wasn't even expecting it and he just barely seemed to notice"

Also mabye a printed out invite link the the discord for the peoel our age would be nice. Pretty sure you can do the deal where it's a scan code . Have it one some simple flyers or something. Don't know if y'all do workshops with you states association or have any get togethers planned but if you do having some invites that very clearly show it's FREE would be great to have. Seen a lot of folks turn off from even coming by the table because they saw prices for a association membership. They see a price and a table they will avoid you a lot of times because it looks like a sales pitch of something is free well what's the harm in looking

Would also not lean on the fur side of things , honestly a lot of people just pain don't care or like fur clothing due to price and conceived ethical issues..... More usually price. Grab people more white the whole trapping predators is good for fawn recruitment, up land birds small game that jazz , muskrats trapping is good for saving pond banks saves tax payer dollars on fixing beaver blocked culverts and all that.

O and if you have a few fur buyers you know of have their info on the able easy to see for guys who predator hunt. Most don't know anyone who buys fur or anything like that so having that info could be helpful to get them to looking at stuff

TACT plays a big role in getting non trappers to our side. Antis know how to play people and work them properly we need to work on that as well imo

Shockingly, I agree with all of this except downplaying the fur side. I've ran two booths at events like this... one a deer and turkey classic and one a boat show, and feeling the fur was the #1 attraction.

In this goofy era of "green" we need to be emphasizing the greenness of fur. How much oil needs to be pumped from the sea to refine enough petroleum to create the faux fur on one coat collar? How is that better than removing one animal from an over-populated species that will re-populate in a few months? Fur IS the renewable resource and all of the national associations are SORELY missing the mark by not promoting it is as such. Save the sea turtles by turning a nasty coyote into a collar.

One of the associations..... scratch that......furtakers should hire me to convince Gen Z that they need to buy fur to save the manatees!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7981406
10/28/23 07:56 AM
10/28/23 07:56 AM
Warren Co. New Jersey
N
NJTrapper Offline
trapper
NJTrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Warren Co. New Jersey
What everyone else said, and also personal presentation. Dress so you don't look like you just came out of the fur shed. Nice shirt, clean pants, and not a greasy ball cap on. It all makes a difference on how you portray the trappers. Good luck !

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: yotetrapper30] #7981412
10/28/23 08:07 AM
10/28/23 08:07 AM
Manitoba
Shakeyjake Offline
trapper
Shakeyjake  Offline
trapper

Manitoba
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Shockingly, I agree with all of this except downplaying the fur side. I've ran two booths at events like this... one a deer and turkey classic and one a boat show, and feeling the fur was the #1 attraction.

In this goofy era of "green" we need to be emphasizing the greenness of fur. How much oil needs to be pumped from the sea to refine enough petroleum to create the faux fur on one coat collar? How is that better than removing one animal from an over-populated species that will re-populate in a few months? Fur IS the renewable resource and all of the national associations are SORELY missing the mark by not promoting it is as such. Save the sea turtles by turning a nasty coyote into a collar.

One of the associations..... scratch that......furtakers should hire me to convince Gen Z that they need to buy fur to save the manatees!

Yep. Plastic fur being hard on the environment (production & disposal), it feels like crap and won’t keep you warm.
Justin Webb sticks his hand in a MB750. When you set the trap and feel the compression in the springs, it’s scary. But it’s not bad at all. I had to try it when I saw him do it.

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7981424
10/28/23 08:33 AM
10/28/23 08:33 AM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Stick with a 1 1/2 coil trap no need to over do it with a 750 keep it simple.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7981512
10/28/23 10:51 AM
10/28/23 10:51 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Also, see if you can get a State Representative to stop by.

[Linked Image]

-Goofy-
Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7982591
10/29/23 11:42 PM
10/29/23 11:42 PM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Well, everything went well on setting up the booth on Saturday night, and I ended up needing 3 full tables to lay it all out decently. It looked really good by the time people started rolling in. Talked to a few people about the old days of trapping and fur prices. A lot of "I would still be trapping if the prices were better" but it didn't bother me. Had a few people who had barely been around trapping ask a lot of questions. Only stuck my hand in a trap once. Had about 10 vendors there and very little attendance but it was still a really fun time. Here's my booth setup and a few pictures I got.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OdrQk3LDMSI

[Linked Image]

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7982785
10/30/23 08:29 AM
10/30/23 08:29 AM
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Good on you!!!

-Goofy-
Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7982876
10/30/23 10:16 AM
10/30/23 10:16 AM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Start small go big as far as a shows goes. Thanks for promoting trapping. Good job!

Re: Unique Opportunity [Re: Slick Pan] #7983476
10/31/23 01:36 AM
10/31/23 01:36 AM
South Dakota
T
trapper
trapper
T

South Dakota
Start small go big as far as a shows goes. Thanks for promoting trapping. Good job!

Yep, hoping to continue this on for a while. Thank you!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread