Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? #7964272
10/04/23 01:03 PM
10/04/23 01:03 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
By now many of you have tried the world renowned, highly classified, super secret and awesomely effective bacon bait, only described in about 18 places on this website. Are you ready to take your game to the next level? Do you want to leave the competition in the dust? If so, stand by for . . . .[drum roll] . . . Bacon Bait 2.0!!!!!!

Please keep this a secret and don't tell anyone about it, much less how to make it. Serious.

Take a gallon of Bacon Bait 1.0 (the original formula for those unfamiliar with tech talk).

[Linked Image]

Now add about 2 quarts of fruit base. I make mine by boiling chokecherries and ripe plumbs for about an hour with sugar added at about 4 pounds per gallon of fruit. Add enough water to cover the fruit and sugar and let boil for an hour. I mash the fruit during this process to release all the juices and pulp. When done, let cool, and strain with something in the order of 1/4" to 1/3" squares. The idea is that you want to strain out all the pits but keep as much of the pulp flesh as you can. I store this about a week to 10 days at room temperature until it starts to ferment just a bit. The fermenting smell is what tells a hungry predator that ripe fruit, loaded with sugar, is available -- just the kind of high calorie food one needs to put on weight for the coming winter. When it has fermented (watch for mold and kill it with methyl paraben if needed), and then add it to your Bacon Bait 1.0.
[Linked Image]

Now add a quart of cultured eggs. I made mine about 3 years ago when eggs were cheap (in fact, mine were free because I asked a local supermarket if they had any outdated eggs they would be throwing away) so this is a little dry. If you don't know how to make cultured eggs, look up any of Bob Jameson's wonderful posts on the topic, or better yet, just order it from him and you know it will be done right.

[Linked Image]

Mix everything together, and add a little glycerin if you plan to use it relatively soon. This finished product has a fairly short shelf life before things dry out, go rancid or mold (depending on your location/humidity/temperature, etc.) so you can freeze until ready for use. If you're going to freeze it, do so now; if you plan to use it right away, go ahead add your glycerin now.

[Linked Image]

There you have it. Bacon Bait 2.0. Not for sale within 500 miles of . . . oh, come to think of it, not for sale period. At least not by me.

Postscript:

I've been in the trapping game for over half a century and feel I know trappers pretty well. I know there will be many who will feel an innate need to respond to this post. I also have a pretty good idea what most of you will say. So in order to avoid you overtaxing your brain or your keyboard, I have already provided sample responses below. All you have to do is respond with the number that best describes the clever, witty, informative response you were contemplating.

Sample Responses:

1. I am already loyal to Brand X lure or bait and wouldn't think of using anything, new, novel, different or (pfff) home made. I currently trap all the predators I need to using Brand X and wouldn't dare use anything else. (Great. Move on . . . uh, if you're so happy with Brand X lure or bait, what are you doing surfing the lure and bait formulator's thread anyway?)

2. If I used that stuff here in my area, I'd catch too many non-target animals (because my current lure or bait doesn't attract any non-targets so I don't want to mess with my current success). OK, stay in touch.

3. Why are you using human food materials like bacon and lard anyway? That stuff is better put to use as part of my low calorie, low fat, low cholesterol diet which keeps me in my present peak physical condition. (You got me there. You might want to check out the Recipes and cooking thread elsewhere on this website to display your culinary exploits. In the meantime, see you in the next Olympics).

4. Let me make a totally non-responsive, random, off-topic comment about whatever it was that you were discussing in this thread. Duke is better than Ford or Chevy ice cream blah blah blah blah blah.

5. Hmmmm. This might actually work, but have you tried using Abyssinian ferret glands soaked for a year in hydralazine bethomethylactose to improve your formula? (No, I have not but please do so and report on your results. I've caught literally more than a thousand predators on the original bacon bait and yet people who have never even tried it are willing to suggest their own personal tweeks to the formula from a dozen states away. Try the original for a couple thousand sets and then report back on your results.)

6. Why are you EVEN THINKING of trapping canines in this depressed fur market? (Uh, you got me there. Don't judge me.)

7. All of the above.

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964306
10/04/23 01:32 PM
10/04/23 01:32 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Y

Marion Kansas
U copy this from that Tracy feller again

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964309
10/04/23 01:34 PM
10/04/23 01:34 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Ya, but don't tell him.

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964348
10/04/23 02:31 PM
10/04/23 02:31 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
8. Thanks Tracy, you are Funny and have a very active Mind!! lol. Nice too see you throw some cultured eggs into your coyote Breakfast Bait!!!!

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964461
10/04/23 05:07 PM
10/04/23 05:07 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
I have made such a bait and have used it for a few years. May or may not make it for commercial sale. But it is sure a big hit with across-the-board interest in it.

You have a winner there Tracy, I can vouch for it. smile

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964473
10/04/23 05:22 PM
10/04/23 05:22 PM
Nevadafornia
L
Lazarus Offline OP
trapper
Lazarus  Offline OP
trapper
L

Nevadafornia
Thank you Mr. Jameson. I can't think of a better endorsement than someone whose opinion I regard as highly as I do yours.

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7964779
10/04/23 11:24 PM
10/04/23 11:24 PM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
And for those of you looking for Bacon Bait 1.0, here it is.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3378883/1

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7968746
10/10/23 08:47 PM
10/10/23 08:47 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7969924
10/12/23 04:35 PM
10/12/23 04:35 PM
NY
papabear! Offline
trapper
papabear!  Offline
trapper

NY
Bacon bait 1.0 now 2.0..... Shucks I'm still using this fur killin' bait recipe shared on this video.

[Linked Image]

My hero's have always been trappers
Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7971186
10/14/23 05:40 AM
10/14/23 05:40 AM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
I made a small batch of the 1.0 a couple weeks back and set it on my porch in a butter bowl with the lid on ,my intentions were to put it in the freezer the next by day. I still have not found that butter bowl yet .To those guys that have used have this has anyone used it down a pipe.Asking because when it starts raining here I use pipes for lure holder.

Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7978597
10/24/23 01:59 PM
10/24/23 01:59 PM
Alaska/Washington
D
Dragger Offline
trapper
Dragger  Offline
trapper
D

Alaska/Washington
Blend some apples and pears in your home blender. Let it sit at room temperatures for a week and then blend with cultured eggs. Makes a good base for those trapping coyotes around orchard areas in the early winter.

I add my "double secret" 2 ingredients and coyotes eat it up.

(Or you can add bacon.) lol

Give an illegal alien a fish and he eats for a day. Deport him and you never have to feed him ever again!
Re: Bacon Bait 2.0 -- Are you ready? [Re: Lazarus] #7986598
11/04/23 11:01 AM
11/04/23 11:01 AM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
I went out yesterday and put out a few sets and put a big spoonful of bacon bait and a touch of Jamesons LDC call in a hole. This mornings run had a big female waiting on me when I arrived this morning..This was the first time using it.Thanks Laz for posting this up.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91