Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Wild River mink pans #7939505
08/29/23 01:15 PM
08/29/23 01:15 PM
Clio, MI
T
trappingfanatic Offline OP
trapper
trappingfanatic  Offline OP
trapper
T

Clio, MI
I’m looking to add some of these to my 1.5 coil springs. For those that have used both types, which did you prefer, the single or double post pans? The single post looks like it may provide a little more surface area, but hard to tell from the pics. Would appreciate any insight from those that have used them.

He who dies with the most traps wins!!
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7940363
08/30/23 02:17 PM
08/30/23 02:17 PM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
I run the double post pan on my Duke 1.75 wild river makes a good pan

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7940423
08/30/23 03:25 PM
08/30/23 03:25 PM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
You don’t decide which one to use your trap design dictates which one you need.Call Mike Kelly at Wild River if your not sure.

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: Mad Scientist] #7940992
08/31/23 09:48 AM
08/31/23 09:48 AM
Clio, MI
T
trapper
trapper
T

Clio, MI
Mad Scientist I looked at the web site and both style pans have the same description as to what traps they are best suited for the brands of traps I have. Only difference I see in the descriptions is that the pan tension is adjustable on the single post pans. Figured I would just pose the question for those that have used both styles see if one had an advantage over the other.

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7941015
08/31/23 10:28 AM
08/31/23 10:28 AM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
They are top notch pans...heavy duty. I have both styles very well made.

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7941043
08/31/23 11:48 AM
08/31/23 11:48 AM
Alaska
S
Super Wide Offline
trapper
Super Wide  Offline
trapper
S

Alaska
The single pans have a cut out in the corner, which makes it a little easier to see how much dog is under the pan and where it is exactly left to right on the dog as well.

The double post has more metal in the top right corner, so you can only see through the notch in the pan.

Both pans are adjustable for tension.

I have both pans on the same 1 1/2 cs. Comparing the two, the single pan can fire from the sides a little more easily than the double post pan. The single post pan is about as close to a original single post pan that came stock. The double post pan is more rigid and sturdy from lever to lever. You can adjust both from extremely light to heavy, adjust the nut to your desired poundage. For only mink trapping, either one is a great improvement on a stock trap and you will probably switch over every trap you own. Hopefully this will help answer your questions.

My Super Wide will pull your broken down 4 stroke, up a hill backwards, with you on it!
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7941122
08/31/23 02:32 PM
08/31/23 02:32 PM
Wisconsin
M
Mad Scientist Offline
trapper
Mad Scientist  Offline
trapper
M

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by trappingfanatic
Mad Scientist I looked at the web site and both style pans have the same description as to what traps they are best suited for the brands of traps I have. Only difference I see in the descriptions is that the pan tension is adjustable on the single post pans. Figured I would just pose the question for those that have used both styles see if one had an advantage over the other.

Good point-I have all my 1 1/2s set up with double post pans and really like them,solid practically bullet proof setup.I also have some victor square jaw 2s with the single post(only option)pans that are catching machines as well but the pans need to be straightened occasionally.I would recommend the double post pans and I team them up with a sloped notched rod dog.

IMG_2246.jpeg
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7941602
09/01/23 12:18 AM
09/01/23 12:18 AM
Beaver Bayou MN
Mike Kelly Offline
trapper
Mike Kelly  Offline
trapper

Beaver Bayou MN
They are both the exact same size, and same design when it comes to the catching end of the pan. They only differs in how they are designed to attach to the trap. I use both, and have yet to have a favorite between them.

Double post pans are the most popular. They are similar to the old Victor pinch pans that many are used to. I have a die made up to make them, so they are a little cheaper in price to make and sell.

The single post pan is something I created. It is easier adjusted if you want to have pan tension on the trap. Like others said it is easier to see how much the pan is engaged with the dog on it.

If you ask nice and order a dozen of either style, I might even throw in a pan of the other style for you to check out and make up your mind on!

www.WildRiverTraps.com - Oversized Pans for you Mink, Muskrat and Bobcat Traps!
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: Mad Scientist] #7941746
09/01/23 09:08 AM
09/01/23 09:08 AM
Clio, MI
T
trapper
trapper
T

Clio, MI
Mad Scientist those dogs look like they would help make a killer mink set up. I may pick up a few to try out. May also just hit the end of the trap dogs with a file to give them a slight taper. Then again I already have some permanent dents in a couple of my fingers and nails from traps and various construction incidents over the years that I may just stick with the regular dog set up!!!!LOL. I appreciate the pics and discussion though.

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: Mike Kelly] #7941751
09/01/23 09:17 AM
09/01/23 09:17 AM
Clio, MI
T
trapper
trapper
T

Clio, MI
Originally Posted by Mike Kelly
They are both the exact same size, and same design when it comes to the catching end of the pan. They only differs in how they are designed to attach to the trap. I use both, and have yet to have a favorite between them.

Double post pans are the most popular. They are similar to the old Victor pinch pans that many are used to. I have a die made up to make them, so they are a little cheaper in price to make and sell.

The single post pan is something I created. It is easier adjusted if you want to have pan tension on the trap. Like others said it is easier to see how much the pan is engaged with the dog on it.

If you ask nice and order a dozen of either style, I might even throw in a pan of the other style for you to check out and make up your mind on!

Mike Kelly,

Appreciate the offer, but I got anxious waiting on replies and ordered some of each already to try. Been playing around after work installing a couple of them so I could play with them. I will say with my aging eyes the double post pans are way easier to install. Placing the washers on the single post pans with my beat up hands proved to be a bit of a challenge!!! LOL. I do like the added view of the dog on the single post pans. I may have to put a bright collared wax or paint or wax on the end of the dog on the dual post pans to better see the dog in the notch. Would hate to have to wear my cheaters out on the line!!!!

Any tips to make installing the single post pans a little easier other than a magnifying glass and nimble fingers?

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7941803
09/01/23 10:48 AM
09/01/23 10:48 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The one thing you should realize about mink and rat traps Is most of them are over powered. So If you want a great rat and mink trap Install the wild river pans and do some spring weakening.
All My rat traps/mink traps have wild river pans on them ,I used the double posts.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7942151
09/01/23 09:42 PM
09/01/23 09:42 PM
Beaver Bayou MN
Mike Kelly Offline
trapper
Mike Kelly  Offline
trapper

Beaver Bayou MN
You don’t need the washers if you don’t want, but they keep the pan actions smooth in all conditions…so I highly recommend them!

When I install the single post pans, I do the following.

Put the machine screw 90% of the way through where the pan attaches. Enough so you can kind of wedge the first washer in place of needed to get it on the machine screw.
Once the washer is on the machine screw, bring it back so there is enough room for the pan. Put the pan in place and put the machine screw through it.
Again have the machine screw 90% of the way through and put the second washer in place, and wedge it in place with the machine screw if needed.
Once everything is threaded onto the machine screw, put the nylon nut on the end and tighten to your desired pan tension.

Just thinking outside the box…
If that doesn’t work you could probably use Vaseline or a little bit of wax to adhere them to the pan in place. Just put it in place between the pans posts and run the machine screw through them.

Might be able to do the same with tape or glue…but I would be afraid of the residue in them.

www.WildRiverTraps.com - Oversized Pans for you Mink, Muskrat and Bobcat Traps!
Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: Mike Kelly] #7945171
09/06/23 08:26 AM
09/06/23 08:26 AM
Clio, MI
T
trapper
trapper
T

Clio, MI
You don’t need the washers if you don’t want, but they keep the pan actions smooth in all conditions…so I highly recommend them!

When I install the single post pans, I do the following.

Put the machine screw 90% of the way through where the pan attaches. Enough so you can kind of wedge the first washer in place of needed to get it on the machine screw.
Once the washer is on the machine screw, bring it back so there is enough room for the pan. Put the pan in place and put the machine screw through it.
Again have the machine screw 90% of the way through and put the second washer in place, and wedge it in place with the machine screw if needed.
Once everything is threaded onto the machine screw, put the nylon nut on the end and tighten to your desired pan tension.

Just thinking outside the box…
If that doesn’t work you could probably use Vaseline or a little bit of wax to adhere them to the pan in place. Just put it in place between the pans posts and run the machine screw through them.

Might be able to do the same with tape or glue…but I would be afraid of the residue in them.

Mike good idea with the wax or Vaseline. Once I got back back from the holiday weekend at camp things went together pretty easy. Guess I just need a little woods time to calm the nerves a bit!!!, LOL

Re: Wild River mink pans [Re: trappingfanatic] #7954147
09/19/23 02:56 PM
09/19/23 02:56 PM
PA
Coon Duke Online content
trapper
Coon Duke  Online Content
trapper

PA
Great product. They are both good but I like the single post pans better. Just personal preference.

~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

https://tstrapline.com/

https://youtube.com/@toddstrohecker
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91