No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Question #2 - tail on beaver skin and tan #7934140
08/22/23 06:05 PM
08/22/23 06:05 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
slydogx Offline OP
trapper
slydogx  Offline OP
trapper
S

Ontario, Canada
I am wanting to mount a hooped beaver hide with tail attached
I am thinking that if you want the tail to lay nice and flat with clean, natural edges that you need to open from the bottom and sew a form up inside (?). Every one I've seen, the tail just doesn't look great.
Also, would you skin tail separate and sew back on or leave all as one piece? I'm wondering if the tail would tan up the same as the hide or if it needs a different approach?
Also would appreciate any photos if anyone has done one.

Or, we could talk politics LOL

Just happy to be here.
Re: Question #2 - tail on beaver skin and tan [Re: slydogx] #7934178
08/22/23 06:51 PM
08/22/23 06:51 PM
Magna, Utah
G
GritGuy Offline
trapper
GritGuy  Offline
trapper
G

Magna, Utah
I've had several beaver hides tanned by Moyles with a tail on them, I just split the tail and left the top half on and shaved it down
came back from them fine, if it had a curl in it I would just spritz it with a fine mist of water on the shaved side and put a heavy block on it to take the curl out.

You can't tan beaver tails unless split though, they have to much gristle and oil inside of them to do so !

[Linked Image]

Sorry if my opinions or replies offend you, they are not meant to !

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread