No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Oneida Lake NY locals? #7928809
08/15/23 12:56 PM
08/15/23 12:56 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline OP
trapper
Jim H  Offline OP
trapper
J

New York
Looks like the family and I will be headed to the Sylvan Beach area for a few days next week. Are there any good shore fishing spots or do I need to look to charter for walleye?

Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7928857
08/15/23 01:49 PM
08/15/23 01:49 PM
NY
160andup Offline
trapper
160andup  Offline
trapper

NY
Give a call to lakeside outfitters (tackle shop a few mins outside of sylvan beach). They’ll be able to give you info if it’s worth shore fishing right now. Wade fishing will pick up in the fall but is less than ideal this time of year.

Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7928864
08/15/23 02:04 PM
08/15/23 02:04 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Theres a few good shops around the lake, they’ll know best

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7929150
08/15/23 09:53 PM
08/15/23 09:53 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline OP
trapper
Jim H  Offline OP
trapper
J

New York
Thanks guys. I figured I'd hit the bait shops first. I was hoping someone was a regular on the lake. I found a few charters but they're at $400 for 2 for 4 hours. I've never done fresh water charter, but that's not much difference in what I pay to off shore fish. 5 walleye each seems kinda pricey! But I'd like to come home with some, so I guess I don't mind paying u less I can get them on my own.

Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7929257
08/16/23 06:00 AM
08/16/23 06:00 AM
PA
M
marathonman Offline
trapper
marathonman  Offline
trapper
M

PA
There is some real good yellow perch fishing in that lake

Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7929489
08/16/23 12:34 PM
08/16/23 12:34 PM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by Jim H
Looks like the family and I will be headed to the Sylvan Beach area for a few days next week. Are there any good shore fishing spots or do I need to look to charter for walleye?

For Walleyes without a boat,,your best bet is casting stick baits from the shoreline after dark.We are heading to camp so wont be around,,or I would have taken you out myself on my boat.During the day,,depending on the wind,I either jig them with homemade jigs,,or troll them with bottom bouncers.Good luck.

Last edited by upstateNY; 08/16/23 12:34 PM.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: Jim H] #7929499
08/16/23 12:51 PM
08/16/23 12:51 PM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
We used to fish right at the I-81 bridge. There used to be a slight road on the north way side going down to the lake. Of course it was hit or miss but we did get some walleyes, never a big one there. Our big ones came form the Oswego river casting at night in the canal or from the jetty's. This is years ago, 20 maybe. Nothing difficult just casting bombers (they are heavier than rapals) some big fish anytime of the year but best in the fall of course. Otisco used to have a lot of big walleyes, it does have a lot of muskies that are always seeming to bite. Used to go up every two or three weeks, for years after year....j.k

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Oneida Lake NY locals? [Re: jk] #7929550
08/16/23 02:10 PM
08/16/23 02:10 PM
New York
J
Jim H Offline OP
trapper
Jim H  Offline OP
trapper
J

New York
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Originally Posted by Jim H

For Walleyes without a boat,,your best bet is casting stick baits from the shoreline after dark.We are heading to camp so wont be around,,or I would have taken you out myself on my boat.During the day,,depending on the wind,I either jig them with homemade jigs,,or troll them with bottom bouncers.Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Too bad the timing didn't work out, would have been nice to meet a fellow trapperman and get some walleye and perch!

Originally Posted by jk
We used to fish right at the I-81 bridge. There used to be a slight road on the north way side going down to the lake. Of course it was hit or miss but we did get some walleyes, never a big one there. Our big ones came form the Oswego river casting at night in the canal or from the jetty's. This is years ago, 20 maybe. Nothing difficult just casting bombers (they are heavier than rapals) some big fish anytime of the year but best in the fall of course. Otisco used to have a lot of big walleyes, it does have a lot of muskies that are always seeming to bite. Used to go up every two or three weeks, for years after year....j.k

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can get to that spot. I'll keep Otisco in mind as well, I've never gone after muskies but would like to.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread