Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Beaver tail oil ? #7918446
08/01/23 10:35 PM
08/01/23 10:35 PM
Idaho
I
idahotrapper85 Offline OP
trapper
idahotrapper85  Offline OP
trapper
I

Idaho
Hey guys. I am new to TM and somewhat new to trapping (starting me 4th season this year). I am trying my hand this summer at making some beaver tail oil. I only have two 1gal glass jars filled with cut up tails inside and an air stone on top. I have pulled four 9oz jars and four 4oz jars off of it so far of thick black oil. But I have a few questions. 1. can I mix it with anything to make it better? 2. how well will skunk quill hold up in it? I have tried mixing in (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fire, some o fuc*, coyote gland lure, and some pure skunk quill. the (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) fire and the o fuc* mixed in but separated out when I put it back into the fridge and the coyote gland lure made it foam up then it blinded pretty good. The one with the pure skunk quill mixed fine and stayed mixed when I put it in the fridge. But I don't want to mix all of my skunk into what oil I have left if it not going to last.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7918546
08/02/23 06:12 AM
08/02/23 06:12 AM
Indiana
G
Gayle08 Offline
trapper
Gayle08  Offline
trapper
G

Indiana
Are you sun rendering the BTO or doing it on a stove? How long has it been at it? I’m new as well and bought some BTO from someone here on TMan, and curious about what your asking as well.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7918681
08/02/23 09:32 AM
08/02/23 09:32 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
You actually don't need an airstone with BTO. The first that I made I vented also, before I found out you don't need to vent beaver tails, they don't create enough gas pressure to be a problem. Doesn't hurt to vent them, it is just an extra step and then you need to make sure water doesn't come in your vent.

Lots of things will seperate out over time, especially in a liquid rather than a paste. Not that big a deal, you can just shake it up when you go to use it, to blend it back together. There are some commercial lures on the market that separate out on the shelf.

What are you hoping to use this on? Seems like you are going all over the board with things you are mixing with it.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: Gayle08] #7918851
08/02/23 01:35 PM
08/02/23 01:35 PM
Idaho
I
trapper
trapper
I

Idaho
i am doing a sun render. this is my first year trying to make my own lure (around 3 months).i am going to be using this for coyotes (my goal this year is 50 yotes) i was just wondring if anyone has mixed anything into it to make it better or just use it straight? i have been watching some videos on YT and one i came across from Johny Thorpe, he said that if you mix your skunk essence with different oil it won't hold up( the skunk smell will ware off)

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: bearcat2] #7918859
08/02/23 01:44 PM
08/02/23 01:44 PM
Idaho
I
trapper
trapper
I

Idaho
Originally Posted by bearcat2
You actually don't need an airstone with BTO. The first that I made I vented also, before I found out you don't need to vent beaver tails, they don't create enough gas pressure to be a problem. Doesn't hurt to vent them, it is just an extra step and then you need to make sure water doesn't come in your vent.

Lots of things will seperate out over time, especially in a liquid rather than a paste. Not that big a deal, you can just shake it up when you go to use it, to blend it back together. There are some commercial lures on the market that separate out on the shelf.

What are you hoping to use this on? Seems like you are going all over the board with things you are mixing with it.

mainly coyotes. i want to try to put up 50 coyotes this season from oct-mid dec (then its all about the cats but that not what this lure will be for.) i will have a few sets for coyotes but not many after mid dec.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7922683
08/07/23 03:30 PM
08/07/23 03:30 PM
Mesa,Washington.
M
Mark McCary Offline
trapper
Mark McCary  Offline
trapper
M

Mesa,Washington.
IT85, do you go by James on You Tube?
Sun rendered oil's have a good food/curiosity attraction by themselves. I think the oil's really shine when added too Baits and also some lures.
BTO/oil's will not mix well with urine!!
I have added other ingredients too fish oil when making a bait solution or lead in scent.
The oil does seem to diminish the smell of some ingredients when added to the oil. But I think the animals can still smell the individual ingredients.
The beaver tail sludge in the bottom of your jar's should have a good attraction to coyotes?
It takes awhile too put together enough meats, glands, oils, etc. Buckets & Jars everywhere lol. Fun!!!

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: Mark McCary] #7923551
08/08/23 02:35 PM
08/08/23 02:35 PM
Idaho
I
trapper
trapper
I

Idaho
Originally Posted by Mark McCary
IT85, do you go by James on You Tube?
Sun rendered oil's have a good food/curiosity attraction by themselves. I think the oil's really shine when added too Baits and also some lures.
BTO/oil's will not mix well with urine!!
I have added other ingredients too fish oil when making a bait solution or lead in scent.
The oil does seem to diminish the smell of some ingredients when added to the oil. But I think the animals can still smell the individual ingredients.
The beaver tail sludge in the bottom of your jar's should have a good attraction to coyotes?
It takes awhile too put together enough meats, glands, oils, etc. Buckets & Jars everywhere lol. Fun!!!

yep i do have a you tube. its more just me sharing my adventures.
thank you for the advice I was just trying to make it a little better but I guess I should just leave it as is.
i haven't been doing this on a large scale just making it for my own line. lol.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7924127
08/09/23 11:14 AM
08/09/23 11:14 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Offline
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Add an ounce or two of BTO oil to your bait base. I make small batches of bait for my own use. I add BTO oil along with a few other ingredients to the meat base to enhance it.

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7925389
08/10/23 09:25 PM
08/10/23 09:25 PM
NC
S
SpellNC9 Offline
trapper
SpellNC9  Offline
trapper
S

NC
I’m doing the same thing. First time trying bto sun rendering. I have about a gallon of liquid/chunks.
Are you supposed to use straight oil in the dirt hole sets or use the oil in your baits?

Re: Beaver tail oil ? [Re: idahotrapper85] #7925433
08/10/23 09:54 PM
08/10/23 09:54 PM
Nebraska
N
NEtrapper. Offline
trapper
NEtrapper.  Offline
trapper
N

Nebraska
I’ve done both and both work. I put some out in a “test” hole with a camera on it and they went after it. Coyotes, badgers, fox all visited and worked the set. I caught coyotes and badger on either straight bto or on some mixed with a bait I put together as well.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91